Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-23-10, 01:09 PM   #101
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 31,392
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

To put some of the 'OCD' into this thread, let me expose some of my silliness. Feel free to mock me, give me tips to change, or say that you do the same type of things.

So as I think I mentioned at least once in this thread, I've been in the process of converting many of my DVD cases into slim-packs. Most one or two disc titles can be easily moved into a 7mm case, a standard case is 14mm thick, many two discs sets 21mm or 28mm, so one can essentially double their storage space.

The case artwork is made to fit a 14mm spine, usually with very little play, so one has to trim or fold at least 5mm of it to make it fit into the slim-packs. I know many of you shudder at the thought of taking scissors to your coverart, even when it is only a few mm of empty space most of the time. I've actually decided to never cut, but just fold as necessary. I could go into more details on the process if anyone is interested, but let me get to my quirk.

I save the original 14mm cases, for various reasons. All silly perhaps, but my main two are the possibility of wanting to sell the title someday (if it goes out of print and can be sold for hundreds of $), or the possibility of someday having a huge house with tons of space and being able to store them all at 'full size'. So I have all these boxes full of empty cases in storage.

Wait, it gets worse. So I have to be able to identify which cases are which, so have to make sure they are all labeled. Now, it's fairly easy when I open a DVD case new, as I just take the printed sticky label off the top of the spine and stick it under the clear plastic on the spine of the original cases going to storage. For used DVDs or ones with no printed sticky label, I use a post-it note.

When I started this process a couple years ago, I was going back-and-forth on where to keep silly little promo material and other 'useless' inserts. Sometimes I'd keep it in the new slim-pack, sometimes in the original case for storage, and sometimes to the trash. And sometimes I'd keep the slipcovers on the old cases, and sometimes I'd save them for a separate box I have of hundreds and hundreds of slipcovers.

This non-conformity really bothered me, so the other weekend I went through all my storage boxes, going through each individual case and making sure that it was truly empty. I literally spent 10 or so hours going through boxes that most people would probably have just thrown away.

And now, it still bothers me that it would take lots of time to find a specific original case, so I plan to go through them all again, once I'm done with the conversion process, and alphabetize all the empty boxes that I should just throw away.

In my perfect world I would be able to keep everything in it's original case, but my condo is tiny, and even once I convert all my thousands of titles to slim-packs I'll look like a Hoarders show candidate.

This is just one example of where I'll spend time making sure that little organizational details are 'just right', when my normal brain will tell me that the entire task is silly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 03:17 PM   #102
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,342
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Trevor, I can commiserate the working with small spaces. I commend you for even taking them out of the case. I couldn't bare to remove them, sometimes much less from the shrinkwrap. Often wonder what's the point if I don't even know what it looks inside, but then again the collector's mentality kicks in. I fear I will open it and then find out that I really should have kept it sealed. I know those that keep them sealed often think of future resale, but I cannot say in all these years I've sold a single item that was NOT a duplicate or triplicate.

So no it's not silly. I think this separates us from the collecting versus just general public enjoyment. There are people who throw away everything except the disc and it's fine for them...and then there are some of us that will gasp and have a heartattack if that ever happens LOL
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 04:59 PM   #103
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,073
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Trevor, I understand your position. Still, your best bet is to try and throw out your boxes. Start in smaller percentages. Obviously, you're not going to sell all your DVDS or even half of them. But let's say you keep half of your empty cases, which would be plenty to pick from if you needed to sell them. You know deep down that you're not going to be selling very many of your discs any way. Besides, keeping so many cases for the chance of selling them isn't worth the couple dollars.

It will be hard at first, but it will get easier with each batch that you toss out. Start by throwing out those terrible "green" DVD cases if you know what I mean.

You made the first step by removing the discs from the original DVD cases. The second step is throwing out the DVD cases. You spent hard earned money and made a commitment in buying the new cases so reap the benefit of freeing up space. You really don't need those cases.

If it makes it easier, keep your favorite DVDs in their original packaging. If there are some special titles that you think will go up in value, keep those in their original packaging too. Then start throwing out the extras, little by little.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 06:09 PM   #104
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
kd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 7,395
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Well, I don't quite know if I qualify for OCD, but I am a stickler about organization. I only have 357 DVDs in my collection (which is small potatoes compared to some of you), but I have most everything that I've really wanted, and I still add movies as I see the entertainment value of them. My area of interests are basically SciFi/Fantasy, Horror, some action and some drama (very few of the last 2 catagories). Of the 357 DVDs I own, 11 are series of which I count each season as 1 DVD: Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, Firefly, Forever Knight, Stargate SG-1/Atlantis, Supernatural, X-Files, etc. I have them (still in their original boxes/cases, some still with the original plastic covering everything but the opening) stored alphabetically on a 72"x48"x13" dark cherry 6-shelf bookcase which is almost full (the bottom shelf is still 2/3 empty). I have a few VHS remaining but I've been replacing them with DVDs, have no plans nor interest in going Blu-Ray. My wife & I watch these on a 53" Pioneer Widescreen HDTV.

I just cataloged my DVDs manually, still need to categorize them (there's plenty of notebook left). I installed DVD Profiler which turned out to be the easiest method (UPC Code) of getting my collection on my computer, I wish I could show off my collection but I can't afford to shell out $30 to unlock all the features. I don't know what good it will be to me like this, maybe one day an extra $30 will magical appear in my wallet and I can buy it.

While I may not be quite as OCD as some, I wanted to throw my .02 cents worth into the mix... -kd5-
__________________
Time is the fire in which we burn. (Soran)

My DVD/BD Collection

Last edited by kd5; 06-07-10 at 07:23 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 08:54 PM   #105
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,683
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Trevor, how large [or small] is your condo that you have inevitably ran out of space? How many rooms are available, could you turn one room into a "movie storage room"? Obviously not, but thought I'd ask anyways; since I have over 1500 DVDs and thought I was out of space completely until a friend of mine who is also a independent contractor helped me restructure the shelves and free up more wall space in the rec. room. Pics of your shelves?

Last edited by mike07; 05-23-10 at 08:57 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 09:18 PM   #106
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,226
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
So as I think I mentioned at least once in this thread, I've been in the process of converting many of my DVD cases into slim-packs...I've actually decided to never cut, but just fold as necessary. I could go into more details on the process if anyone is interested, but let me get to my quirk. I save the original 14mm cases, for...the possibility of wanting to sell the title someday (if it goes out of print and can be sold for hundreds of $), or the possibility of someday having a huge house with tons of space and being able to store them all at 'full size'. So I have all these boxes full of empty cases in storage.
Folded artwork devalues the collectible nature just as much as cutting; you're still hurting your chances for full re-sale value later. Of course, I would also remind everyone that DVDs are a horrible product to view as "investments." Easier said than done, I know, especially if you grew up with comic books, baseball cards and action figures (like everyone else in my generation).

As for your storage issue, I have a question. So, you've got X volume of DVD cases, and you're condensing them for Y area of storage. If you've had room to keep the empty cases, though, it seems to me you were better off leaving the discs in them rather than occupying more of your available space with new (albeit slimmer) cases.

Let's say you've got a stack of 10 standard DVD cases. Converting them to slim cases will give you 50% more shelf space, yes, but wherever the original cases were stored is where you could also have simply stored originals instead of empty cases. They might be out of sight, or relegated to boxes, but it seems to me that you're better off with originals in boxes than additional cases on shelves supplanting original cases.

In any event, I do have one suggestion: Get a filing cabinet with hanging folders. Place your artwork in there for safekeeping, and recycle or donate your empty cases. Chances are pretty slim that you won't be able to replace empty DVD cases in the future if you want them, and this way they're out of the way, the artwork is preserved and you can move the discs themselves to slim cases, envelope sleeves, binders, those plastic storage tubes or whatever method you prefer.

I would, of course, advise you to keep anything that came in unique packaging in its original housing. There's really no benefit to taking Star Trek: The Original Series out of its casing, and it adds some aesthetic appeal to your shelves (especially if everything else is going to be soulless slimline cases!).
__________________
"There's always one more way to do things and that's your way, and you have a right to try it at least once." -- Waylon Jennings
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 08:41 AM   #107
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 31,392
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by snausages View Post
, but I cannot say in all these years I've sold a single item that was NOT a duplicate or triplicate.
Same here. I've sold a few duplicates, and given away a few singles, but don't think I've ever sold a non-dupe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
You made the first step by removing the discs from the original DVD cases. The second step is throwing out the DVD cases. You spent hard earned money and made a commitment in buying the new cases so reap the benefit of freeing up space. You really don't need those cases.

If it makes it easier, keep your favorite DVDs in their original packaging. If there are some special titles that you think will go up in value, keep those in their original packaging too. Then start throwing out the extras, little by little.
The thing with the space, is that the empty originals are going off-site to basically limitless space (friend's huge empty basement, Mom's closet, etc). Whether I throw the empties away or not doesn't add to or subtract from my real space.

The stuff I put in storage in basically stuff that I wouldn't really miss if it all disappeared.

But good points on throwing away most of the basic black 14mm empties. While there is a lot of variety in the cases that different distributers use, I doubt that I or anyone I ever sell a DVD to would care that the DVD is in an Alpha series 4317 case and not the original Polyline series 89e. Or would we....?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
Folded artwork devalues the collectible nature just as much as cutting; you're still hurting your chances for full re-sale value later. Of course, I would also remind everyone that DVDs are a horrible product to view as "investments." Easier said than done, I know, especially if you grew up with comic books, baseball cards and action figures (like everyone else in my generation).
True, but I imagine that folded would bother a collector a lot less than trimmed. But yes, nothing I do is really about re-sale. While it's a minor reason in the back of my mind, I've only sold like 20 discs of the 20,000 I own, and may very well never sell another disc.

The main reason I fold is because I figured out that it is faster than cutting, main secondary reason is because if I ever put them back in full cases it will look slightly nicer than trimmed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
As for your storage issue, I have a question. So, you've got X volume of DVD cases, and you're condensing them for Y area of storage. If you've had room to keep the empty cases, though, it seems to me you were better off leaving the discs in them rather than occupying more of your available space with new (albeit slimmer) cases.

Let's say you've got a stack of 10 standard DVD cases. Converting them to slim cases will give you 50% more shelf space, yes, but wherever the original cases were stored is where you could also have simply stored originals instead of empty cases. They might be out of sight, or relegated to boxes, but it seems to me that you're better off with originals in boxes than additional cases on shelves supplanting original cases.
As I mentioned above, the storage space isn't an issue at all. I think of stuff I put in storage as going into a Bag of Holding (former D&D geek reporting for duty!). It's limitless, never seen, but the items are there in case I change my mind.

Originals in boxes is something I'm working towards eliminating. I want everything on a shelf able to be easily browsed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
In any event, I do have one suggestion: Get a filing cabinet with hanging folders. Place your artwork in there for safekeeping, and recycle or donate your empty cases. Chances are pretty slim that you won't be able to replace empty DVD cases in the future if you want them, and this way they're out of the way, the artwork is preserved and you can move the discs themselves to slim cases, envelope sleeves, binders, those plastic storage tubes or whatever method you prefer.
Interesting. So you would store the coverart separately rather than folding or trimming? But then one would have to either create custom cover art for everything put in slimcases, or leave them disc only. Custom cover art is something I may do for a few titles, larges TV series cases that I want to compact down to double slims for example, but there is no way that I'd create custom art for my entire collection, it would take millions of dollars in ink

And leaving slimcases disc only would make organizing and finding things a nightmare.

Oh, now I see that you're suggesting binders or spindles. I have done them in the past, but hate having to do that.

I don't know if this makes me old school, or a pack-rat, or touched, but I really want a library feel to my collection, and hate not being able to browse, physically with my actual hands, each film or book or CD as a separate physical item. I hate the thought of a virtual library with everything digitized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
I would, of course, advise you to keep anything that came in unique packaging in its original housing. There's really no benefit to taking Star Trek: The Original Series out of its casing, and it adds some aesthetic appeal to your shelves (especially if everything else is going to be soulless slimline cases!).
Yep, I've recently decided to do this, even moving some stuff back into originals that I had previously converted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermike07 View Post
Trevor, how large [or small] is your condo that you have inevitably ran out of space? How many rooms are available, could you turn one room into a "movie storage room"? Obviously not, but thought I'd ask anyways; since I have over 1500 DVDs and thought I was out of space completely until a friend of mine who is also a independent contractor helped me restructure the shelves and free up more wall space in the rec. room. Pics of your shelves?
I should do pics, but have poor lighting in my condo, a weak camera (old iphone), and while in this re-organization state my place really is borderline Hoarders material. But I'll try to borrow a good camera with flash and come up with something.

I'm a master at using all available space, and already have shelfing all the way to the ceiling in many spaces. Room for more though, and I am contemplating returning to the Container Store for some more Elfa shelving.

The one free wall in my living room has Elfa shelving floor to ceiling, maybe 9 feet wide, ten shelves. I once thought it would hold everything I'd ever own, but now it barely holds just my TV sets, and I'd need three more of them to hold everything else.

Most non-TV DVDs are alphabetical in 4 largish bookcases, some double stacking until I convert them all to slim. 400 or so Criterions in boxes waiting for me to find space for a separate bookcase/shelf system for them. 300 or so blu-rays in 9 stacks on my bedroom dresser waiting for same.

Last edited by Trevor; 05-24-10 at 08:48 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 09:16 AM   #108
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,226
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Interesting. So you would store the coverart separately rather than folding or trimming? But then one would have to either create custom cover art for everything put in slimcases, or leave them disc only...And leaving slimcases disc only would make organizing and finding things a nightmare.
Spines are really all you need to know from a glance what discs are in which cases. If you prefer to have artwork, you can customize it; but think of what it would be like to have every single slimeline spine in uniform! You control the colors, the fonts, the placement...the possibilities are endless!

Quote:
Oh, now I see that you're suggesting binders or spindles. I have done them in the past, but hate having to do that.
I wasn't necessarily advocating them, so much as acknowledging their place in the substitute-for-original-cases scheme of things.

Quote:
I don't know if this makes me old school, or a pack-rat, or touched, but I really want a library feel to my collection, and hate not being able to browse, physically with my actual hands, each film or book or CD as a separate physical item. I hate the thought of a virtual library with everything digitized.
I certainly can appreciate this viewpoint. Even knowing that the packaging elements were designed entirely to achieve commercial goals, I feel as though they're part of the art. I like holding jewel cases and reading booklets while listening to new albums, and I like browsing DVD packages before starting to watch the feature content. Hell, I don't even get rid of expired coupon brochures and those kinds of things just because I reason they were included with my purchase, and they should stay there.

I hadn't really given it any thought until several years ago when I bought Planet of the Apes (2001) at a yard sale and everything was pristine. The seller hadn't even opened the 20th Century Fox flier, and the internet start-up disc was still sealed. I decided then and there that when I sold DVDs to someone else down the road, they would get from me what I had received initially.

By the way, my local library just posted a link to this online game and I couldn't help but think of this thread. It's really simple: you have to properly sort a group of books. Each level becomes more difficult. That's all there is to it, and I'll be damned if I can quit playing it!
__________________
"There's always one more way to do things and that's your way, and you have a right to try it at least once." -- Waylon Jennings
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 11:13 AM   #109
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 31,392
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
Spines are really all you need to know from a glance what discs are in which cases. If you prefer to have artwork, you can customize it; but think of what it would be like to have every single slimeline spine in uniform! You control the colors, the fonts, the placement...the possibilities are endless!
True, and I've put in placeholder spines on a few conversions. But as you mention below, I'm all about the original art too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
I wasn't necessarily advocating them, so much as acknowledging their place in the substitute-for-original-cases scheme of things.
I actually have used two different binder systems in the past. One type is similar to the standard CD binders, except with a sleeve for inserts or coverart. They hold 40 discs iirc and I own a dozen or so. The other type has three unzippered binders of 18 sleeves each that go into a mini-bookcase shell. I have 20 or so of those.

So I have all of those in storage, ready to possibly be used for something. I still occasionally think that perhaps I'll use them for certain things, maybe the hundreds of 'B' horror films that I don't really need to proudly show on my shelves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
I certainly can appreciate this viewpoint. Even knowing that the packaging elements were designed entirely to achieve commercial goals, I feel as though they're part of the art. I like holding jewel cases and reading booklets while listening to new albums, and I like browsing DVD packages before starting to watch the feature content.
Exactly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
Hell, I don't even get rid of expired coupon brochures and those kinds of things just because I reason they were included with my purchase, and they should stay there.
Yep, everything stays for me, even stickers on the outer plastic.

The only thing that I possibly throw away are the blank inserts with the security fobs glued to them, but even them I save unless the space in the slimcase is cramped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
I hadn't really given it any thought until several years ago when I bought Planet of the Apes (2001) at a yard sale and everything was pristine. The seller hadn't even opened the 20th Century Fox flier, and the internet start-up disc was still sealed. I decided then and there that when I sold DVDs to someone else down the road, they would get from me what I had received initially.
This goes through my mind as well. I know that there are people out there even more OCD/whatever than me, so I try to keep all of the contents and packaging in case they buy/steal/inherit my possessions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
By the way, my local library just posted a link to this online game and I couldn't help but think of this thread. It's really simple: you have to properly sort a group of books. Each level becomes more difficult. That's all there is to it, and I'll be damned if I can quit playing it!
That killed half an hour on a slow day at work, thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 07:13 PM   #110
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: US
Posts: 153
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Well, I don't quite know if I qualify for OCD, but I am a stickler about organization. I only have 351 DVDs in my collection (which is small potatoes compared to some of you), but I have most everything that I've really wanted, and I still add movies as I see the entertainment value of them.
....
I just cataloged my DVDs manually, still need to categorize them (there's plenty of notebook left). I installed DVD Profiler which turned out to be the easiest method (UPC Code) of getting my collection on my computer, I wish I could show off my collection but I can't afford to shell out $30 to unlock all the features. I don't know what good it will be to me like this, maybe one day an extra $30 will magical appear in my wallet and I can buy it.
You might be in for some disappointment if you expect to catalog a 351-title DVD collection with DVD Profiler without paying the $30. A lot of features I care about (maybe you're already aware of this and don't care) are disabled after 50 DVDs if you don't pay.

www.invelos.com/dvdpro/Registration.aspx
Quote:
- Upload and share your collection with the DVD Profiler Online feature
- Install plugins to extend and enhance DVD Profiler
- Extensive filters let you delve into the details of your collection
- Download, view and print reports
- Pick movies to watch with the interactive Movie Pick feature
- Thumbnail View and Details View let you browse your collection graphicaly
- Load and save various layouts, including HTML sections
- Browse your collection by cast and crew
- Export your collection to XML
- View and print charts and graphs
- Add DVDs to your wishlist graphically with the "Upcoming Releases" tab
And unpaid regardless of collection size can't use higher-quality cover images and can't contribute to the database.

I'm considering a plethora of potential freeware alternatives, or might eventually give in and pay Invelos.

Last edited by Gatherer; 06-01-10 at 09:39 AM. Reason: enable sig
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 07:22 PM   #111
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: US
Posts: 153
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
But good points on throwing away most of the basic black 14mm empties. While there is a lot of variety in the cases that different distributers use, I doubt that I or anyone I ever sell a DVD to would care that the DVD is in an Alpha series 4317 case and not the original Polyline series 89e. Or would we....?

True, but I imagine that folded would bother a collector a lot less than trimmed. But yes, nothing I do is really about re-sale. While it's a minor reason in the back of my mind, I've only sold like 20 discs of the 20,000 I own, and may very well never sell another disc.

The main reason I fold is because I figured out that it is faster than cutting, main secondary reason is because if I ever put them back in full cases it will look slightly nicer than trimmed.
Speaking as someone who's recently been buying a lot (for me, not relative to most of you guys) of used DVDs and pondering what factors are worth what level of importance to me:

- Having the original cover art is very important. A color printout on nice paper of the original cover art is an acceptable replacement. I accidentally ended up with one that has a color printout on not-nice paper in not-nice condition, which I may or may not eventually have to give in on it bugging me and reprint it on better paper myself.

- Having bits of the edges missing from the cover art (trimmed) is annoying, but not a dealbreaker, and not worth the time/expense/hassle of reprinting. I bought a few like that which were likely due to being converted from snapper cases to keepcases (and a few snapper conversions with the abovementioned printed replacements).

- Having the edges of the cover art creased is much better than having the edges lost forever (trimmed).

- Inserts are a pleasant surprise to still be present (particularly when they're not just ads), but since so many discs don't come with any nowadays (particularly not counting ads) and since I expect the vast majority of used discs to be lacking any that might have originally been present, I'm not bothered by their absence and generally don't know the difference (no idea if there would've been an insert or not).

- Original case is not important except in rare exceptions; black 14mm cases can be treated interchangeably. I have a strong dislike for the new "eco-cases"/"eco-boxes", and have actually swapped out new DVDs from eco-cases to used sturdier standard keepcases.

I do find the variety of hub designs to be intriguing, and have set aside one of each type I've come across so far due to the assortment of used empty cases I acquired, and if I ever get around to it might take pictures and document them online or something. From the online case stores I've perused, it seems to be darn near impossible to intentionally purchase more of many of the hub styles (most of which don't identify themselves).

So if you, unlike myself, do care about which disc you originally acquired in which style of case, you could document which goes with which and get rid of some of the duplicate-style empty cases, but you might find it very difficult to reacquire a desired style if you want to be able to put your collection back in the original style cases in the future.

Last edited by Gatherer; 06-01-10 at 09:37 AM. Reason: enable sig
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 08:12 PM   #112
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,226
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatherer View Post
You might be in for some disappointment if you expect to catalog a 351-title DVD collection with DVD Profiler without paying the $30. A lot of features I care about (maybe you're already aware of this and don't care) are disabled after 50 DVDs if you don't pay...And unpaid regardless of collection size can't use higher-quality cover images and can't contribute to the database.
YMMV, of course, but I've sufficed with the free version all along. My owned library numbers in the 800s, and I've created a few categories to track titles I've rented and seen in a theater, too. It'd be nice to have unrestricted access to the kinds of data-at-a-glance reports you mention, but I can't say it really bothers me to not have them. And I really don't mind adding my own high resolution artwork; I'm used to doing that for my iTunes library and assorted blogging purposes anyway.

As for not being able to contribute to the system, I have to say I don't think I would even try if I had a membership. I ventured into their forum once out of curiosity. I left in horror. I'm content to modify my own information, and not endure the scrutiny of the people who are constantly finding new semantics to debate.
__________________
"There's always one more way to do things and that's your way, and you have a right to try it at least once." -- Waylon Jennings
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 09:19 PM   #113
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
kd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 7,395
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatherer View Post
You might be in for some disappointment if you expect to catalog a 351-title DVD collection with DVD Profiler without paying the $30. A lot of features I care about (maybe you're already aware of this and don't care) are disabled after 50 DVDs if you don't pay.

invelos.com/dvdpro/Registration.aspx


And unpaid regardless of collection size can't use higher-quality cover images and can't contribute to the database.

I'm considering a plethora of potential freeware alternatives, or might eventually give in and pay Invelos.
Believe me, I am only too aware of the loss of features after 50 DVDs but I really didn't have much of a choice, I couldn't just catalog 50 DVDs of my collection, really couldn't see much point in that.

I am also painfully aware of the loss of the features I really wish I had access to, like I was saying before: "maybe one day an extra $30 will magical appear in my wallet and I can buy it."

Until then I'll keep working on my hand-written lists. I have the main list done, now I need to categorize. -kd5-
__________________
Time is the fire in which we burn. (Soran)

My DVD/BD Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 02:06 AM   #114
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
beebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 2,757
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Trevor, I understand your position. Still, your best bet is to try and throw out your boxes. Start in smaller percentages. Obviously, you're not going to sell all your DVDS or even half of them. But let's say you keep half of your empty cases, which would be plenty to pick from if you needed to sell them. You know deep down that you're not going to be selling very many of your discs any way. Besides, keeping so many cases for the chance of selling them isn't worth the couple dollars.
I throw out all black 1-disc cases. These are so easily replaced and impossible to tell if they are original anyways. (Who is to say they didn't change cases at some point.) 2-disc 14mm black cases that are standard also go. My library literally has stacks of these DVD cases they can't give away.

I keep all unusual cases. White, green, silver ones. I keep the big cases, like the older style 2-disc cases. For the 800+ movies I have, there's probably 100 cases I've kept. I keep all Disney and Kids movies of any sort. Surprisingly, kids movies hold their value better than any other types from my experience.

I keep my movies in DiscSox. Neatly organized, alpha, mixing in HD DVD and Blu-rays. Where it works, I put original artwork in the discsox. Otherwise it's a keeper on the shelf and cover scan in the sleeve.

600 or so movies looks like this --



I store most of my movies also on my HTPC. Those are easily pulled up as well.

__________________
Horror Movie Challenge 2008 - 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 - 2016 - Science Fiction Challenge 2009
Movies: DVD 1000+, BD 1000+ HD DVD 75
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 01:32 PM   #115
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,683
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

^ Nice space saver, but I could never have my collection invisible so to speak. But to each their own, I guess.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 03:09 PM   #116
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,823
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermike07 View Post
^ Nice space saver, but I could never have my collection invisible so to speak. But to each their own, I guess.
I do the same with a bunch of mine. Most of it is kids stuff, so they can watch what they want and I don't have to worry about discs getting messed up or having to change what they're watching(little kids).

The other big chunk of stuff is the rifftrax mixes I've done. I like to mix the audio with the DVDs I have so I can stream it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 03:52 PM   #117
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 788
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

I use a text file for each media format (DVD/BD/HD) to catalog mine and display them with PHP or convert to excel spreadsheet for printing. I've thought about slimming down movie series that I have the individual releases of by just sticking them in a multi-disc case the same thickness as standard cases and using the cover art from the 1st. Like put the 3 Maniac Cop movies in 1 case with the cover art from the original. I haven't gone that route yet though. I've got 1 door left to fill on my 6th cabinet (Sauder #2650).
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 09:43 AM   #118
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: US
Posts: 153
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatherer View Post
I'm considering a plethora of potential freeware alternatives, or might eventually give in and pay Invelos.
I have now completed my 'research project' seeking alternatives, if anyone following this thread is interested:
Catalog of DVD Cataloging Software

I'm currently thinking I'll use one of the freeware programs (which program is yet to be determined) in combination with unpaid DVD Profiler.


PS: Many people are quite happy to pay for DVD Profiler, which is great, but the reasons I'm reluctant to are:
- There's SO many free alternatives.
- I'm on a slim budget, and buying software about DVDs feels even more frivolous than buying DVDs.
- It can be nice to check their reference database for some things (thus thinking about using it alongside another program), but I prefer the idea of programs that can download info from multiple places to not be dependent on a single point of failure.
- I would inevitably be tempted to get into the contribution system battleground, which would inevitably lead to frustration for me.

Last edited by Gatherer; 06-01-10 at 10:12 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 11:36 PM   #119
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
SethDLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5,622
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

I've been thinking about reorganizing my collection for the first time. I'm thinking of going by genre, keeping all formats separate. All BDs and VHS' would be straight alphabetical since I don't have enough to breakdown, but DVDs would go into about 8-10 different genres.... If I decide to do it I'll use dividers to label everything... hmmmm
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 07:04 AM   #120
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 31,392
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Side note, I often think of combining all my formats, as I'm to the point where I can't remember what HD discs I own. Anyone else mix in their BDs and HD-DVDs with regular DVDs, or even VHS?

I hate buying a DVD after confirming that I don't own it, but then later seeing that I own a HD version of it. Yeah, I know I need to get off my butt and catalog everything, I'm obviously very lazy, and fearful of another DVDSpot scenario.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 07:20 AM   #121
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,226
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Side note, I often think of combining all my formats, as I'm to the point where I can't remember what HD discs I own. Anyone else mix in their BDs and HD-DVDs with regular DVDs, or even VHS?

I hate buying a DVD after confirming that I don't own it, but then later seeing that I own a HD version of it. Yeah, I know I need to get off my butt and catalog everything, I'm obviously very lazy, and fearful of another DVDSpot scenario.
I've already replaced nearly everything with a DVD release and frankly, I'd like to upgrade the remaining handful so I'm not fearful of title duplication in that respect. The only thing preventing me is, of course, not everything has been given a DVD release. I suspect we'll never see a disc version of, say, Star Trek: 25th Anniversary Special, for instance.

As for combining the formats, right now our Blu-ray library is segregated mostly because we're still in the honeymoon stage where we like seeing that format at a glance and, if I'm honest here, showing it off. DVD Profiler keeps them all in the same list, though, so if I were someone who relied upon an inventory of my library to prevent me from unnecessarily duplicating a title, it would be sufficient. You can also create your own listings and add a format, so there's really nothing preventing you from cataloging your VHS titles with DVD Profiler, as well. I've got a separate field for movies I've seen in a theater and even content I've rented/streamed.

I'm not so concerned about DVD Profiler going the way of DVD Spot, largely because it's a software that exists on my computer. Even if Invelos ceases to support it, the worst that will happen is I'll have to manually enter the content. I'd probably never get around to adding cast and crew credits, of course, but that's not really a feature I use anyway.
__________________
"There's always one more way to do things and that's your way, and you have a right to try it at least once." -- Waylon Jennings
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 09:00 AM   #122
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 509
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Side note, I often think of combining all my formats, as I'm to the point where I can't remember what HD discs I own. Anyone else mix in their BDs and HD-DVDs with regular DVDs, or even VHS?

I hate buying a DVD after confirming that I don't own it, but then later seeing that I own a HD version of it. Yeah, I know I need to get off my butt and catalog everything, I'm obviously very lazy, and fearful of another DVDSpot scenario.
I mix in my Blu-Ray with my DVDs. Don't have any VHS anymore so that's not an issue. I mix them to avoid duplication and also for the space issue. Just don't have the space to start a second library. They are easy to spot as well due to the height of the cases.

James
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 09:59 AM   #123
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,226
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDFarrow View Post
I mix them to avoid duplication and also for the space issue. Just don't have the space to start a second library. They are easy to spot as well due to the height of the cases.
The only thing I would point out is that, due to the height difference, you might actually be able to maximize how much shelf space you're getting if you separate the Blus; depending, of course, on the size of your library and the nature of your organizational units. For a smaller sized library, it won't make any noticeable difference, but for larger ones, you might actually "create" a new shelf simply by separating them.
__________________
"There's always one more way to do things and that's your way, and you have a right to try it at least once." -- Waylon Jennings
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 10:02 AM   #124
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 33,656
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

Yeah, my dvds and blu-rays are all mixed together - sometimes, when I keep the dvd and it has nice packaging, I just toss the blu-ray case and put the blu-ray inside the dvd package next to the SD dvd.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 11:23 AM   #125
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,823
Re: "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread

I keep the kid's blu-rays downstairs and all dvds upstairs. If there's a dvd and I also own the title on blu-ray, it goes into it's own section, not on the shelves. The non-kid blu-rays are also floating around upstairs and not on shelves, since I don't have enough room.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0