Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Is Family Ties Probably dead on dvd?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Family Ties Probably dead on dvd?

It's been over a year since season 5 came out and they're were coming out at a good pace before that. I spoke with Paramount and all I could get out of them was that it wasn't on the schedule through August.

Now, I getting the feeling that, based on what I've read and sense, Paramount has decided to not release the last 2 seasons.

I really don't get this decision. If it was slow sales you'd think they would never have made it through 5 seasons AND they've only got 2 seasons left. It's not like they might have been selling poorly and 4 or 5 more seasons were in front of them as potential losses.

Why would they even greenlight this for dvd release and continue selling it through the 5th season, only to give up with 2 seasons to go?

This is really the only "old" show that I grew up with that I wanted to own, but I don't want to keep them if it's not going to be complete. I made the same decision with Party of Five (which was equally depressing not to get them all but at least it didn't surprise me they didn't sell that well) and I sold them off because I didn't want to collect 3 seasons and not have the full story to be able to watch.

Is it time to make the same decision with Family Ties? Anyone know anything?
Old 04-19-10, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Is Family Ties Probably dead on dvd?

I've been asking this for a while, I can't believe they'd just stop with only 2 seasons left to go! Just release both of them on the same day and get it over with!
Old 04-19-10, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I've been asking this for a while, I can't believe they'd just stop with only 2 seasons left to go! Just release both of them on the same day and get it over with!
Well, I also don't want to get caught a year from now when it's clear they're not releasing them and they're selling for $15 or under everywhere and I'm stuck with 5 seasons or forced to basically give them away.

I enjoyed catching up with the show for 5 complete seasons, but I don't want it in my collection unless I can go back and watch everything.

It'll be almost 18 months since the last season was released in August and they said it's not happening before then if ever.
Old 04-19-10, 10:31 PM

I think when it comes to older TV shows studios should just release them in complete series sets, that way the people who really want it will buy it and if they don't they won't have anything else to release. Coach is another series that pisses me off, only 3 seasons out and 6 more that aren't going to get released. Or release the complete series and season 1 on the same day that way if people aren't going to buy them by season then they can stop and people who really want it can get the whole series.
Old 04-19-10, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taxi - 4 years between Seasons 3 and 4
Cheers - 1 year, 10 months between Seasons 8 and 9
Mad About You - 3 years, 10 months between Seasons 2 and 3
...and another 3 years, 4 months between Seasons 3 and 4
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - 2 years, 10 months between Seasons 1 and 2
...and another 3 years, 4 months between Seasons 4 and 5

Never say never!

I too hope they eventually release the last two seasons of Family Ties, but even if they don't, I'll still keep the first five. I'd rather have five out of seven seasons than none at all. YMMV

Rob
Old 04-19-10, 11:01 PM

I don't know much about this shows release history, but a studio like Shout Factory might pick it up.
Old 04-19-10, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is why I don't buy a lot of tv show anymore. I get just my favorites and ones I know will be released. Thankfully, most of my favorites have been released in full.

Party of Five stings. I LOVED that show.
Ed really hurts...I'm at a point where music changes would be fine.
Family Ties...as I mentioned, really the only tv from my younger days that I want and I thought it was a sure thing that I'd get them all by now.

I'm not going to wait. If someone releases PO5 complete or Family Ties complete, I have no problem buying the sets. Somehow I feel like, if after all this time, Ed ever comes to dvd we'll know if they plan to release all the seasons or it will be like Ally and come in a complete set and season 1 option.

Too bad too, because I really have hazy memories of what happens next for the Keatons in the last 2 seasons (as I got older I missed more shows) and only a short memory of Alex leaving his room for the last time, which I think was the last shot of the last season. I'm a total liberal and yet I love the family part of this show and how it had a message, never seemed preachy, and always managed to be entertaining and funny.
Old 04-20-10, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Too bad too, because I really have hazy memories of what happens next for the Keatons in the last 2 seasons (as I got older I missed more shows) and only a short memory of Alex leaving his room for the last time, which I think was the last shot of the last season. I'm a total liberal and yet I love the family part of this show and how it had a message, never seemed preachy, and always managed to be entertaining and funny.
I remember certain things from seasons 6 and 7. I remember the Christmas episode of season 6 where Alex plays a mall Santa. I remember Courteney Cox coming in as Alex's girlfriend. I remember Alex graduating from college and Mallory telling him the secret of life which is Be Happy, Don't Hurt Anyone and Hope You Fall in Love. And the last episode where Alex is running around the house expressing his joy of getting out of the house and then the emotional scene where his mom goes off on him about being happy and how she would be torn apart if it were her.

That's pretty much all I remember from those 2 seasons. Of course those were all from reruns on Nick @ Nite or TV Land since I was only about 3 years old when the 6th season started
Old 04-20-10, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Here I was hoping to finally see the "psycho Alex" episode I missed during original broadcast
Old 04-20-10, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I remember certain things from seasons 6 and 7. I remember the Christmas episode of season 6 where Alex plays a mall Santa. I remember Courteney Cox coming in as Alex's girlfriend. I remember Alex graduating from college and Mallory telling him the secret of life which is Be Happy, Don't Hurt Anyone and Hope You Fall in Love. And the last episode where Alex is running around the house expressing his joy of getting out of the house and then the emotional scene where his mom goes off on him about being happy and how she would be torn apart if it were her.

That's pretty much all I remember from those 2 seasons. Of course those were all from reruns on Nick @ Nite or TV Land since I was only about 3 years old when the 6th season started
It's bad enough that I'm depressed about probably not getting the last 2 seasons of Family Ties, but, man, now you go and make me feel really old. Those last two seasons were my first two in college, which was in N. California and might, for those who think about it, explain why I don't remember much about the episodes that I did catch live.

I'm surprised it's not still playing in syndication somewhere. I think one channel used to show several episodes in a row each night, but it was late and they pulled it from its spot (for a lesser show) without warning and I never got to the point where I'd seen anything from the last two seasons. That really was what got me so excited about owning the entire series on dvd. I had no idea that I'd still love the show after all those years, but I found myself trying to stay up late just to see it.

I only remember general things like Courteney Cox as his girlfriend. Almost nothing else specifically, but things jog my memory, like your description of the final episode. That was one I made sure to catch live.

Did Mallory end up with Nick? Did Skippy ever get some? The term MILF didn't exist then as far as I know, but back when the show started, I think Elyse Keaton was my first.
Old 04-20-10, 02:51 AM

Did Mallory end up with Nick? Did Skippy ever get some? The term MILF didn't exist then as far as I know, but back when the show started, I think Elyse Keaton was my first.
I think Nick was there till the end, but I can't confirm that. I really doubt Skippy got any, I mean come one his name was SKIPPY!

like your description of the final episode. That was one I made sure to catch live.
If it makes you feel better the series finale was on when I was 5 and I seem to vaguely remember seeing it with my family. My memory is pretty damn good, I mean I can remember seeing the first episode of The Simpsons the day it aired later that year. I'm pretty sure I saw it when first aired. I know for a fact that I saw the last episode of Cheers when it aired a few years later, that was a huge deal.
Old 04-20-10, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How did the Ally McBeal complete series set do? It's Gary Shandling's Show? I guess well enough to justify putting Larry Sanders out in a complete series.

A complete series may be a chunk of change to a fan up front, but it's really rewarding to get the entire series in one fell swoop. I agree they really need to do this with more shows.
Old 04-20-10, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Happy Days is another one I'm starting to worry about.

Also thought Charlies Angels would have finished off, and released in a complete, quickly after Farrah's death.

I had never really watched Ally, but a friend recommended it, and I wanted to support the full release cause its a great idea.
Old 04-20-10, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never watched Ally McBeal either. Fox always ran the goofiest (and most annoying commercials for it) back in the day and I thought it was a show to avoid like a plague. I got the series set because I liked David E Kelly's other shows. And it really is a decent show.
Old 04-21-10, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I remember Courtney Cox, but she was just an afterthought to the Tracy Pollan years
Old 04-21-10, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
How did the Ally McBeal complete series set do? It's Gary Shandling's Show? I guess well enough to justify putting Larry Sanders out in a complete series.

A complete series may be a chunk of change to a fan up front, but it's really rewarding to get the entire series in one fell swoop. I agree they really need to do this with more shows.
That's why they should do what they did with Ally McBeal. Release the whole series AND the first season on the same day. That way if the seasons don't sell then the true fans can still have the whole series and the company can just stop selling the individual seasons.

Also what's up with Bewitched? I know it's been completed but I've been waiting for a while for a complete series. The same company released an I Dream of Jeannie complete series either on the same day as the last season was released or very close to it. It was my understanding that Bewitched sold pretty well and I really want to series, but I don't feel like buying individual sets I just want to buy the whole thing!
Old 04-21-10, 03:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems most of these TV shows sell well in the earlier seasons and gradually taper off. That people need a "fix" for an old show they have not seen in a while and jump on the first season and they get their "fix" and thus have no inclination for further seasons. OR they realize the show is not as good as they remember it and fail to purchase subsequent seasons. (this is where an all or nothing approach to releasing shows may work as some have suggested)

I would be surprised to see a show that sold better on DVDs with its later season releases than the earlier ones. If anyone has any numbers, It would be very interesting to compare.
Old 04-22-10, 04:47 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

And there I was about to buy Family Ties Season 1 & 2 the other day on Bestbuy. Now reading some of these posts it may be wiser to wait a little and see if a complete release comes out.

PS: I was 5 when the last season aired
Old 04-22-10, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by nando820
And there I was about to buy Family Ties Season 1 & 2 the other day on Bestbuy. Now reading some of these posts it may be wiser to wait a little and see if a complete release comes out.

PS: I was 5 when the last season aired
Actually it's thinking like that that's probably the reason why season 6 hasn't come out yet.
Old 04-22-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I bought the first two seasons of this a while back when Wal-Mart had it for like $25 or something, and plan on buying the three other seasons that are available. I hope they do wind up finishing the series up eventually. Its one of the only classic sitcoms that I still enjoy watching.
Old 04-22-10, 05:52 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Actually it's thinking like that that's probably the reason why season 6 hasn't come out yet.
Well lets blame DVD talkers because I was happily going to buy it. But since i read people saying they usually release a complete set afterward. I didn't see the point on spending money on single seasons that wouldn't get a full release but with a complete collection.

But u know what, u right in one thing. Assuming studios selling schemes can led nowhere. I should just grab what I can while still available and if in the future I get bit in the ass by a complete collection.
I can always come back here and bitch about it
Old 04-25-10, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, just reporting that I sold my 5 seasons off and I won't buy this again until after there is a complete season box set or both of the last season are out.

Damn this economy! If things hadn't fallen apart, studios would probably be releasing things even if sales weren't that good, because they'd have other things selling so well it would make up for it.

Doesn't sound like much is selling well these days.

I do hope Shout Factory releases Ed. It's easily my biggest disappointment that this show has still not made it out on any format. I'd definitely pay a premium for it.
Old 04-25-10, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So it's the economy's fault now? Studios dropped shows after they had several seasons out even when the economy was good. All in the Family rockets to mind. Maybe it's a convenient excuse now, but I doubt it's the reason.
Old 04-26-10, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by calhoun07
So it's the economy's fault now? Studios dropped shows after they had several seasons out even when the economy was good. All in the Family rockets to mind. Maybe it's a convenient excuse now, but I doubt it's the reason.
Well, the economy is the reason the studios are claiming to be going so slow with catalog titles on blu, so I would imagine it's the same for tv shows that aren't selling as well as they'd like.
Old 04-26-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Amazing Stories should have been released complete. Only 2 seasons total, and they gave up after one season. (and S2 is available to "watch it now" on Netflix)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.