Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What movies would you have bought if they were on DVD instead of DVD-R?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What movies would you have bought if they were on DVD instead of DVD-R?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-12, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: What movies would you have bought if they were on DVD instead of DVD-R?

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Add "What Do You Say to a Naked Lady?" I have the old Key Video VHS and transferred that to DVD with every segment chaptered! MGM's DVD-R is chaptered every 10 minutes! I would've chaptered that disc for them just for a free copy.
Decent chapter stops would be nice.
Old 03-09-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see The Split(1968) is going to be available... It's getting tougher to boycott these things...
Old 04-08-12, 10:49 AM

I just noticed that Who's Minding the Mint? was released as a DVD-R. That was a childhood favorite that I sat through twice in the theater and had watched on TV.
Old 04-08-12, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Amazon's listing of the Lionsgate DVD of Lust for a Vampire is now showing to be a DVD-R! This is in spite of the UPC being vastly different on the two products! I hope this is not the trend of the future as it'll make it very difficult to actually get a *pressed* copy from such listings.
Old 04-11-12, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Amazon's listing of the Lionsgate DVD of Lust for a Vampire is now showing to be a DVD-R! This is in spite of the UPC being vastly different on the two products! I hope this is not the trend of the future as it'll make it very difficult to actually get a *pressed* copy from such listings.
I see that the cover artwork has that distinctive framing that the DVD-Rs and CD-Rs have on Amazon. That at least gives a visual clue to the media. I wish Amazon would give MOD items their own distinctive category for searches so those who want to avoid them and those who want to find them can easily without having to closely read every description.
Old 04-11-12, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
I see that the cover artwork has that distinctive framing that the DVD-Rs and CD-Rs have on Amazon. That at least gives a visual clue to the media. I wish Amazon would give MOD items their own distinctive category for searches so those who want to avoid them and those who want to find them can easily without having to closely read every description.
They're also showing a picture of the Anchor Bay release.
Old 04-12-12, 03:16 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Legend of Billie Jean is available on demand now. One of the few I would do this way. It was available on netflix instant, and now no longer alas. also not available on laserdisc. So its either this or vhs atm.

According to Wikipedia there was an official release but I havent seen it. Though would love a copy recorded from universals hd movie channel.
Old 04-12-12, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

The Amazon marketplace sellers are going out of their way to distinguish that they are selling the Anchor Bay pressed disc. Buy one of those.
Old 04-12-12, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SethDLH
They're also showing a picture of the Anchor Bay release.
I notified them of the discrepency in both the image *and* listing. They indicated they were going to correct the image (nothing said about the actual listing) within 24 hours. That was 48 hours ago and the only "official" image is still the DVD-R cover. The Anchor Bay image is the back of the case from a customer upload. I verified this right before this post.
Old 04-12-12, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516
The Amazon marketplace sellers are going out of their way to distinguish that they are selling the Anchor Bay pressed disc. Buy one of those.
Those MP listings are no different than they were *before* amazon merged the listings and changed the description to "DVD-R when ordered from amazon" and created a mish-mash of product.
Old 04-13-12, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

I think the Anchor Hammers have been moving to DVD-R for a few years....my Dracula: POD is at least a few years old and it's a DVD-R. Sad to me that the title isn't even worth pressing to them.

And certainly doesn't bode well for the Anchor Hammers ever getting blus unless someone else gets the rights.
Old 04-13-12, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
I think the Anchor Hammers have been moving to DVD-R for a few years....my Dracula: POD is at least a few years old and it's a DVD-R. Sad to me that the title isn't even worth pressing to them.
From my observations it started 2-3 years ago for *some* titles and has slowly grown, seemingly as stock of the pressed disks dries up. I've been looking for "reasonably priced" pressed copies of the few I didn't pick up before they went OOP. In some cases I was waiting for a sale to save a mere buck or two when they went OOP and just didn't notice in time.

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
And certainly doesn't bode well for the Anchor Hammers ever getting blus unless someone else gets the rights.
Well, the UK *is* reportedly getting restored and remastered *pressed* HD copies (possibly DVD as well) of "over 30" Hammer films from StudioCanal. I've not seen anywhere if these will eventually be made available in the US. Here's one article, but I've not been able to find the same information on the "official" Hammer site. The first, Dracula Prince of Darkness, received a Blu-ray/DVD "Double-Play" release in March.
Old 04-14-12, 12:24 PM

I still have too many mainstream titles on my wants list, but did notice that William Castle's 1958 film "Macabe" is now on Warner MOD. But I also found it on real DVD in Germany, albeit in a 2-pack with the documentary "Spine Tingler" (thus raising the price).

A film noir on my list, Fritz Lang's "While the City Sleeps," is also MOD but available from the UK for a more reasonable price.

For anyone lamenting the encroach of DVD-R's, you might consider buying a region-free player and checking abroad. It's certainly going to be harder and will often be more expensive, but I quite like the idea of "voting with my wallet".
Old 07-25-12, 08:29 PM

I had the biggest fear that the two Dark Shadow theatrical films were going to come out as MODs. Not only are they coming out on DVD, but they're also coming out on Blu-ray! Yay! Now i am grateful for the recent remake as that definitely helped push the release of the older films. Too bad the TV movie of Don't Be Afraid of the Dark didn't make it to DVD/Blu-ray from the release of the remake.
Old 08-11-12, 10:43 PM

I'm glad to learn that Lost Horizon is getting released on bluray by Twilight Time. The only other MOD I know of that made it to bluray has been Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Anyone know if any other MODs made it to DVD or bluray afterwards?
Old 11-14-12, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

According to tvshowsondvd the Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show is coming to MOD. I actually haven't been paying attention, are these DVD-R's or are they short run pressings?

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Cha...e-Series/17737
Old 11-14-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
According to tvshowsondvd the Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show is coming to MOD. I actually haven't been paying attention, are these DVD-R's or are they short run pressings?

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Cha...e-Series/17737
MOD (manufacture on demand) is code for DVD-R (you can't really make a pressing "on demand"). Also, Warner Archive is the name WB uses for their DVD-R offerings.
Old 11-14-12, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Crud, that would have made a nice purchase otherwise.

thanks

EDIT to add: you know, I still remember back when videogames were first going to CD ROM from cartridge, one of the things we were promised was that titles wouldn't become super hard to find. For cartridges, you had to have a minimum pressing of the chips and parts, but for CDs you could do quick short pressings in case a game sold better than expected. I still don't understand how the price of doing pressings hasn't come down for DVDs to the point where they can do this. I look at all the cult and genre titles that get regular pressed DVDs, and I can't fathom how something like this gets treated this way.
Old 11-14-12, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You know, I still remember back when videogames were first going to CD ROM from cartridge, one of the things we were promised was that titles wouldn't become super hard to find. For cartridges, you had to have a minimum pressing of the chips and parts, but for CDs you could do quick short pressings in case a game sold better than expected. I still don't understand how the price of doing pressings hasn't come down for DVDs to the point where they can do this.
Well, games still go out of print. The switch to disc did allow for quicker turnaround on reproduction, and allowed games to stay in print but drop in price (the physical costs of a disc are minimal, compared to cartridges where the physical cost was a large portion of the sale price). But I don't think any game has stayed in print on disc indefinitely.

Also, it's not just the cost of the pressing, but all the overhead of dealing with pressed titles. You have to deal with storage of the discs and distribution. Most people expect pressed titles to appear on retail shelves, or at least in most online storefronts. Titles have to be shipped both to and back (when the retailer returns overstock). Pressed titles almost always experience price reductions as well, which cuts into the overall profit experienced on that title.
I look at all the cult and genre titles that get regular pressed DVDs, and I can't fathom how something like this gets treated this way.
The smaller DVD companies that release the cult titles are operating with different budgets and operating parameters. Even a major company like WB still has a finite budget and work force. They're going to focus their priorities on titles with the best ROI, and don't have the time/money to do the same with every small title they happen to own.

Also, I do think that if DVD-R wasn't an option, the studios would either released some MOD titles as limited pressed runs, or farm them out to smaller DVD companies more often. However, many more titles might've taken longer to be released, if at all. Since DVD-R is an option, and it allows them to release many titles with minimal time/effort/monetary investment, they're going this route with some of their titles.
Old 11-14-12, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Over @ HTF there was a thread started that listed Warner Archive pressed discs and it was locked & closed by the owner.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/32...s#post_4000508
Old 11-14-12, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hasslein
Over @ HTF there was a thread started that listed Warner Archive pressed discs and it was locked & closed by the owner.

I found this info on another thread here:
Originally Posted by Paul_SD
According to the WBs own podcast, which you can listen to here, all multi-disc sets offered in the archive going forward will be pressed in limited quantities. When those are exhausted, future sets will be burned on demand.

I just received my copies of Harry O season one and Forbidden Hollywood Vol 4 and both were pressed.
So it sounds like a bit of a crap shoot for getting the pressed copies, although if you order early from Warner Archive you have the best chance. Also, it's only limited to Warner Archive, and only directly from them. Amazon sells the same titles, but their copies are going to all be MOD.
Old 11-14-12, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hasslein

Am I allowed to say "Fuck Epstein" ? Because if not, I'll delete this comment.

There's a reason I left that forum and can't even bear to lurk there. Drives me crazy that they have somebody like Robert Harris posting.
Old 11-15-12, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

"When a studio finds a means of going a cheaper route that savings is passed on to the consumer."

Yeah right- that explains why "Drive-In" is $20.99.
Old 11-18-12, 12:49 PM

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Why not pick up MODs from bus?
Old 11-18-12, 12:50 PM

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

^I love that we have our own memes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.