Reload this Page >

"Warner Archive" DVD-R Discs

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"Warner Archive" DVD-R Discs

Old 05-10-13, 07:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: "Warner Archive" DVD-R Discs

One bad experience with these dvds shouldn't put you off them all together. Sounds like you just got a bad disc. Happens sometimes. I had several sets of dvds I got from Canada that I had to replace at least one disc out of each set. After 2 or 3 times, I finally got dvds that worked.
Old 05-10-13, 09:15 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

If you complain on their facebook page, they'd probably replace it. WB is gonna turn people off when they get the inevitable bad disks.
Old 05-11-13, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve
arrgh. finally got around to seeing some more movies in the Mexican Spitfire collection. Just got a Blu-ray player (high end Sony) and they won't play. freeze up every time and locks the machine.
He mentioned "they" so it sounds like it's more than just the one. That'd really suck if this is a regular thing.
Old 05-11-13, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JOE29
The ones that I have been looking for have not been on sale.
What niche demand? less quality for an equal or higher price?
And are these going to be the only ever releases or will they get a
regular DVD release later on? What i'm trying to say is will these releases
be it and nothing improved later on?
I've seen those 5 for $55 sales but they're only certain ones that are on sale.
The ones that I dont want.
Well, 3 years after this post. I must say that I have tried out a few of these DVD-R discs. Not just from Warner, but other companies also. Out of a handful that I have bought, they have held up pretty well. I have been pretty happy with them. As a matter of fact, I just ordered another one yesterday, Diary of A Madman- Vincent Price. For which I am looking forward to. Although they still are a bit on the high side for pricing, if there's a movie that I want I wouldn't hesitate to get it even if it was only offered as a DVD-R. But I still would prefer the state of the art copies.
Old 05-12-13, 10:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I just got four titles yesterday afternoon in the mail, so I'm going to try to watch them all this coming week - so far 'War of the Button's is playing without any kinks.
Old 05-13-13, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
He mentioned "they" so it sounds like it's more than just the one. That'd really suck if this is a regular thing.
Yes. there are 8 movies in collection.. I know at least 2 won't play. maybe more.. I just got so frustrated I stopped trying to play them in my blu-ray player. I have exactly one DVD player that might work- haven't tried that one yet.

I understand 'this could be a fluke' - but I have bought/rented literally thousands of DVDs (now recently dozens of Blu-rays) over the years. some freezes? yes - but 1 or 2 out of 2000 and they were used. I have purchased 3 new archives sets - and 1 has major problems in that it won't play at all.
So yes, consider me hesitant to buy another.
Old 05-13-13, 06:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had new, studio pressed discs that were completely blemish free and just wouldn't play. They'd start to play but then freeze, skip, or skip entire scenes. I think wether it's an archive collection type of disc or a studio pressed disc isn't the issue. I'm pretty sure it's more of an authouring problem.
Old 08-20-15, 05:31 AM

This has been an interesting read. I'm finally getting around to buying my first (and depending on how they turn out ..last) Warner archive movies. Only difference for me is I'm going with bluray. Cost is still about the same as a new DVD movie. Picking up "The Hunger" and "Ladyhawke". They are both MOD...so not sure how good they will turn out. Guess I'll find out next week.
Old 08-20-15, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonO
This has been an interesting read. I'm finally getting around to buying my first (and depending on how they turn out ..last) Warner archive movies. Only difference for me is I'm going with bluray. Cost is still about the same as a new DVD movie. Picking up "The Hunger" and "Ladyhawke". They are both MOD...so not sure how good they will turn out. Guess I'll find out next week.
The Warner Archive Blu-Rays say MOD, but according to Warner, these are traditionally replicated BDS, not BD-Rs. I've bought several, and they play just great.
Old 09-18-15, 11:54 AM

I've bought several of these dvd-r's. I just rip them to my harddrive and serve them to my tv with Plex.
Old 09-18-15, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd love it if they could give us more of these for 80's shows we haven't gotten yet.
Old 09-29-15, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

The thing that bothers me the most about "WACS" is that most blank discs have a "mid" code that software can read & tell you what brand & "model" of blank was used. Quality of blanks varies wildly. Warner has found a way to hide that code.

I give this same advice with any purchased dvdr, but especially with "WACS": Back it up immediately before you even pay it, either to a hard drive or a quality blank (the best discs on the market today are Tayio Yuden 8x DVD-R+ Premiums).

Just about everything else out there (& everything you can buy at Walmart, Kmart, etc) is junk. At one time TDK & Verbatim were quality, that is no longer true.

I scan EVERY burned disc that matters to me with disc quality software (you can find Nero's cd/dvd speed, or "disc speed" for free. I think they stoped making it, but it's all over the net.
Old 09-29-15, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonO
My understanding is all the "MOD" blu's are actually factory pressed (the pressed discs are likely cheaper for the manufacturer for one thing!)
Old 02-08-16, 12:07 AM

I don't buy them anymore because of too many problems to my taste. Tonight, I started to watch Our Vines Have Tender Grapes (bought in early 2015) and it froze at 54 minutes. I stopped the movie and when I tried again, the movie won't play at all on my bluray player. I tried on my DVD player and my computer and they could not read it either. I simply got fed up and threw it in the garbage. I stopped buying them around June last year because I had problem with a movie and they did not want to replace it. Since then, about six movies froze the same way. A few years back they seemed to be better, but last year I received defective ones. I find them too expensive for what we get. Many are not cleaned up and they have no extras at all. The best thing they could do is sell them $5 each online and we can download them with a file for the cover of the DVD boxes. I would buy the best quality possible DVD-R to save them. I have many old movie of Warner Bros. before they went with DVD-R and I never had any problems. 20th Century Fox did the same thing as them and they are too expensive also. So many I want from both companies, but I will not buy any of their movies until they are better priced and they are real DVD.
Old 02-08-16, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
My understanding is all the "MOD" blu's are actually factory pressed (the pressed discs are likely cheaper for the manufacturer for one thing!)

Your understanding is correct. All WAC blu-rays are pressed discs, so no worries there.
Old 02-08-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by slam256
...I stopped buying them around June last year because I had problem with a movie and they did not want to replace it...
I was under the impression that they pretty much had a "lifetime" warranty on them if purchased directly from the archive. That if you *ever* had a issue with a burned title they'd replace it, no questions asked. That's the *only* reason I own the few MOD titles from them that I do, and I *only* purchased from the archive, never from a third party for that reason.

But since those first few I only purchase early *if* a title shows "limited pressed due to high demand" on the listing.

Yes. They are *far* too expensive for what you actually receive.