Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

iTunes: "Not Available on DVD" Selection

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-10, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: iTunes: "Not Available on DVD" Selection

I have. Some of the content looks pretty good on a 36 inch TV. Some not so good. Not surprising considering that many content providers are not encoding for this.
Old 01-31-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Once you've downloaded the file, it doesn't matter if Apple goes out of business. You're paying to own the download, not to have access to it.
Doesn't iTunes put DRM on the videos? In that case, you don't own anything, and if Apple were to go out of business, or just decide that videos aren't worth it and shut down their DRM server, then you're screwed the next time you get a new computer.
Old 01-31-10, 10:04 AM

I've been meaning to start a thread about the oop titles avaiable on Netflix streaming but I'm too lazy (but there's tons, everything from The Swimmer to Fat City to 1984, Legend Of Billie Jean, and even some of the new dvd-r stuff like I Ought To Be In Pictures).

Anyway, Netflix is streaming only. It's great to see some rarities available to purchase and keep. Now I won't have to over pay for oop dvds anymore.
Old 01-31-10, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The Airport films are still available on DVD via the Airport Terminal Pack.

Shampoo originally had a DVD release, don't know why it went OOP.

Shampoo is not oop. It's available on a multi-feature disc, just like Airport.
Old 01-31-10, 10:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Doesn't iTunes put DRM on the videos? In that case, you don't own anything, and if Apple were to go out of business, or just decide that videos aren't worth it and shut down their DRM server, then you're screwed the next time you get a new computer.
There has gotta be some way to break that? But what about QuickTime? Does that care about the DRM? Like you said. I do know that iTunes makes you put in your password every time you switch your bought media to a new computer (allows up to 5 times I think). But I don't remember QuickTime ever asking for a password. And I'm sure there are other 3rd party MPEG4 players out there that wont care about Apples DRM. I have all my bought MPEG4 files backed up on DVD-Rs. So I'm going to have to do some testing.

Ok, to answer my question above... Yes, QuickTime does ask you to register your MPEG4 files just like in iTunes. I'll have to see if there are any 3rd party players that will bypass all that and play the files on any computer. Otherwise i agree that iTunes MPEG4 files are not worth it because you are only "maybe" owning them forever. If Apple were to go under or (more likely) if they change format or replace their DRM program with something else then you would loose the ability to play your files once you got a new computer. But who knows if some of the titles available on iTunes and not on DVD will ever see DVD/Blu/whatever? So if it's something you really want and its not too overly priced maybe It's still worth it? Just don't expect to be able to play that file forever.

This is my major concern with media going downloading or streaming. We will run into the same problem. You will only own your media for as long as the company you bought it from allows you to. If they go under or change their media format then you loose everything. Psychical media is the only media that works for collectors or for anyone who cares about owning their media for as long as they want to own it.

Last edited by dkedvd; 02-01-10 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-01-10, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

It's not a question of a player 'not caring' about the DRM, it's that the DRM is encrypted in the file, meaning a player needs to know how to 'decode' the DRM to play the file.
Old 02-01-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Okay, let me ask this. I download a movie. I never update or connect to the iTunes store again. What difference does it make to my being able to play the movie with the version of iTunes I used to download the file whether there even is an iTunes store?
Old 02-01-10, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Okay, let me ask this. I download a movie. I never update or connect to the iTunes store again. What difference does it make to my being able to play the movie with the version of iTunes I used to download the file whether there even is an iTunes store?
Every time you switch your MPEG4 movie files (and anything else bought off iTunes) to a new computer it will make you log on to/enter your iTunes store ID & password. The problem will come when someday iTunes switches file formats, goes from DRM to something else, or just goes out of business all together. So as long as you have the same computer for the rest of your life will be ok, otherwise do not plan on having that file working forever.