DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

How do "digital copies" work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How do "digital copies" work?

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Wrong. I downloaded the movie in iTunes within fifteen minutes of getting home from buying the DVD when it went on sale, and it's been on my iPod ever since. I just haven't actually watched it.
Yep. Dark Knight's digital copy is sitting in my iTunes library.
Old 11-11-09, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Unlike CD's, though, ripping from DVD's is 1) illegal
Making a backup is not illegal.

Breaking any encryption the DVD uses is illegal.

I've run across more than a couple of studio DVDs that didn't have encryption but the vast majority do.

So in the end, you can legally make a backup as long as you aren't breaking any laws while making a backup. You also legally can't watch a DVD on a linux machine unless, once again, there's no encryption on the disc.
Old 11-12-09, 08:53 AM
Banned

The are kinda cool if you have an iPod/iPhone or PSP or something that can play video. But what I can't understand are the copies that are not iPod/iPhone compatible. Everybody I know has an iPod/iPhone. And for 95% of those people their iPod/iPhone is their only portable video device. So what is the point of a digital copy if you cannot put it on you iPod/iPhone? Or hell what is the point it you cannot use it only anything you own? Wow! We can download it and store it on our computer! Hello! Why not just watch the DVD on your computer? If your computer doesn't have a DVD drive you probably don't even know what a DVD is because you are living in the stone age. Anywho... I would never pay extra for a digital copy (well maybe like a buck or something if it's compatible with my iPod). The few I have bought were just because they came with a used or an on sale DVD that was $5.00 or under. I have put the ones that are compatible with my iPod on my iPod and watch them from time to time when I'm or a road trip or away from my DVDs but the few that are not iPod compatible that I have I never bothered to download. So if the download if compatible with a portable media device you own they can be pretty neat but not necessarily worth what they usually charge.
Old 11-12-09, 08:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by UAIOE
The other thing I can't understand is this: I just spent $20+ for a DVD, why do I wanna watch the movie on some dinky ass iPod screen?
I watch the few copies I have on my iPod (the ones that are iPod compatible that is) every so often when I'm on vacation/road trip/or just away from my DVDs.
But I gotta say... Your first mistake was spending $20.00 on a DVD. I don't think I've ever spent that much on a DVD. LOL!
Old 11-12-09, 09:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mulderxcoltrane
Can I download it onto a couple of computers?
Have been wondering that myself. The few digital copies I have were all bought used (except for one). So either A. It just so happens that of all the used DVDs with digital copies that I have bought the original owners never bothered to download their copies or B. You can download them to multiple computers.

Last edited by dkedvd; 11-12-09 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-12-09, 12:30 PM

Studios like Paramount and Universal doing it right: digital copy and decent amount of extras on a bonus disc while maintaining the overall quality of the film's presentation on another disc. So to Fox, Lionsgate and WB, suck it.
Old 11-12-09, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by dkedvd
. It just so happens that of all the used DVDs with digital copies that I have bought the original owners never bothered to download their copies
I tend to think this is it. I have yet to meet someone in person that has ever actually used one of those digital donwload codes.
Old 11-12-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I watch the few copies I have on my iPod (the ones that are iPod compatible that is) every so often when I'm on vacation/road trip/or just away from my DVDs.
But I gotta say... Your first mistake was spending $20.00 on a DVD. I don't think I've ever spent that much on a DVD. LOL!
I didn't buy a $20 DVD, that was just an example.

I do understand the portability, but I don't really see the point in watching a movie on a minuscule screen. If I'm that hard up for on the go entertainment, I'd rather listen to music or read a book.
Old 11-12-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do understand the portability, but I don't really see the point in watching a movie on a minuscule screen. If I'm that hard up for on the go entertainment, I'd rather listen to music or read a book.
I can see watching digital copies on a laptop if I'm traveling. It saves having to carry physical discs along for the trip.
Old 11-12-09, 03:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I've watched lots of movies on my iPhone. The picture is sharp, audio fine, and overall experience is almost as good as watching it at home actually.
Old 11-12-09, 05:21 PM

I've never watched a digital copy ever. Tell me, do they make them in 5.1 and 2.0 surround? Do they include multiple versions compatible with multiple devices on a single digital copy disc? Does the digital copy warrant its own disc?
Old 11-12-09, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

So either A. It just so happens that of all the used DVDs with digital copies that I have bought the original owners never bothered to download their copies
We bought Sex and the City: The Movie used for my wife at Half Price Books. The original owner kept the digital copy disc, as well as the insert with the download code. They did, however, include the Target-exclusive bonus disc in its place.

I'm guessing most of the people who share this sentiment are unaware that they can, in fact, connect their iPod to a TV and are not restricted to viewing their video content on that tiny screen. Granted, you're only likely to have access to a larger screen at, say, a hotel room, but still, it's an option.

More importantly, why does the Digital Copy debate always reach a point where people who don't hate them try to justify their existence? Why must anyone defend their support of this bit of technology to those who are dead set against accepting it?
Old 11-15-09, 01:49 PM

So correct me if I'm wrong. I was recently looking at Star Trek on Tower.com and they had a single disc version and a 2 disc edition with Digital Copy. Is the Digital Copy the second disc or is it a 2 disc Special Edition loaded with extras as well as a digital copy? If the only difference between the two editions is the damn digital copy then I'll just buy the single edition.
Old 11-15-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Hendersonfan
So correct me if I'm wrong. I was recently looking at Star Trek on Tower.com and they had a single disc version and a 2 disc edition with Digital Copy. Is the Digital Copy the second disc or is it a 2 disc Special Edition loaded with extras as well as a digital copy? If the only difference between the two editions is the damn digital copy then I'll just buy the single edition.
The 2-disc special edition includes additional bonus materials not present on the single-disc edition. Whether these are added to the feature disc, or share the second disc with the digital copy, I can't say. Ultimately, though, if bonus materials interest you, then you're cajoled into the SE with the DC. Why this angers so many people, I can't say, but there you have it. If you just care about the film itself, you can save some coin and just get the single disc release.