DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

False letterboxing

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Re: False letterboxing

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Not really. It just means they found a dumb enough jury.

If I recall the specifics, the problem was they were using that diagram that showed how pan and scan transfers cut image off the sides of scope movies, but they were using that diagram on the DVD cases of open-matte movies. So it actually was a false image. Strictly speaking, it was a valid finding in that case. It was MGM's fault for not realizing that some pedantic little dickweed out there would take them to task for it.
Old 10-14-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
I think "open matte" and nudity are often brought up in the same sentence simply because that seems to be when people notice these details.

No one says "Hey, I seem to remember this shot having less/more blue sky above their heads!"
Exactly. But what's interesting is that, after you watch these open matte films properly framed (as widescreen), you can find your eyes wandering to the outside of the framed area (if you subsequently view the open matte version) and noticing things like this. I find most open matte versions to be very distracting now, when during the VHS era I used to watch them all the time without thinking about it.

I keep saying to myself, "Look at all the space above their heads where nothing is happening," or "Whoops, there's a boom mike; this was no doubt meant to be viewed matted."

milo bloom's signature contains a very important concept. Sometimes OAR means seeing more image is desirable and sometimes not. It all depends on how the film was shot. These terms like "fake widescreen" for matted films have become a pet peeve of mine. It is not fake; many, many intended widescreen images are created this way! You see them in movie theatres all the time.

Funny that ROTLD was mentioned. Just watched this a few weeks ago in widescreen. Although I am aware that more of Linnea IS indeed visible on the open matte side, I didn't bother to sit through it. I prefer the intended framing. For those who must have it though, the two versions of the film are to be found on the now out-of-print two-sided DVD. (The newer release is, I believe, widescreen only, but I never bought it). The old version should be pretty cheap to locate on the secondary market.
Old 10-14-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
Funny that ROTLD was mentioned. Just watched this a few weeks ago in widescreen. Although I am aware that more of Linnea IS indeed visible on the open matte side, I didn't bother to sit through it. I prefer the intended framing. For those who must have it though, the two versions of the film are to be found on the now out-of-print two-sided DVD. (The newer release is, I believe, widescreen only, but I never bought it). The old version should be pretty cheap to locate on the secondary market.
and if you're a super completist there's the VHS which has the original soundtrack intact, some sound effects were changed as well if I can remember. Part 2 is far worse with this though.
Old 10-14-09, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

I believe that Stephen King's IT miniseries dvd is cropped 1:85, originally broadcast 4:3
Old 10-14-09, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can somebody expand on the problem with Excalibur? I never had heard of this before! Thanks
Old 10-14-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by smurr05
Can somebody expand on the problem with Excalibur? I never had heard of this before! Thanks
It looks misframed/overmatted to my eyes (and pretty badly at that).
Old 10-14-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyp007
I believe that Stephen King's IT miniseries dvd is cropped 1:85, originally broadcast 4:3
So are both of the V miniseries. However, at the time the first V miniseries was released on DVD, the show's creator claimed that he had originally shot it with widescreen in mind in case it received a theatrical release in Europe (which wasn't uncommon at the time). I'm not familiar with the history of IT, but it's possible something similar may have happened.