DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Netflix CEO predicts 2 years left for DVD format

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-09, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: Netflix CEO predicts 2 years left for DVD format

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
As an addition to my previous comment, I want to add that I'm also streaming the stuff to my TV through my tivo, xbox, and roku. If I only could do it through my computer, that'd be a different story. I hate watching stuff on my computer and only do it if I'm doing work at my desk or on my computer or all the other TV sets are in use or the rooms are preoccupied and I have nothing else but I want to watch something.
I just got a Tivo, and have explored teh netflix area a couple of times. Not exctly sure how it works, as I ahve never been a netflix member. I have streamed video from my computer to the tivo, and it has worked well.

I, too hate watching stuff on my computer. I got a WD TV so I wouldnt have to. Now I can use the Tivo to do that.
Old 10-13-09, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
I just got a Tivo, and have explored teh netflix area a couple of times. Not exctly sure how it works, as I ahve never been a netflix member. I have streamed video from my computer to the tivo, and it has worked well.

I, too hate watching stuff on my computer. I got a WD TV so I wouldnt have to. Now I can use the Tivo to do that.
There's a regular queue for the actual discs and an instant watch queue. You just go to the netflix section on tivo and it lists what's in the instant watch queue. Push play and it starts up.

You can't add stuff through the tivo or roku, you have to do it through the netflix site.

Just curious, are you using pyTivo to stream stuff?
Old 10-13-09, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeNeff
Until streaming is Blu-Ray quality and includes the bonus features -- won't be happening anytime soon -- I'm not interested.
FWIW, while you and I and most people on this forum would want this, 99% of NetFlix customers don't care nearly as much if a movie is in full 1080p or even for extras - they just want to watch something for a 100 minutes to distract themselves from their miserable lives before they go to sleep.
Old 10-13-09, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to get Blu Rays, I have worked hard on my DVD collection, and now none of it will matter? WTF!!!!?
Old 10-13-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by dillkid
I don't want to get Blu Rays, I have worked hard on my DVD collection, and now none of it will matter? WTF!!!!?
WTF, indeed - I mean, what's to keep you from enjoying your DVD collection? It's the movies that matter. If you enjoy them now, it should stand to reason that you'll still enjoy them years from now, right? It's not like a new format will make your old discs unplayable - in fact, blu-ray players actually upconvert dvds and make them look better. The movies are still the same movies folks - I don't see what there is to get upset about.
Old 10-13-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
WTF, indeed - I mean, what's to keep you from enjoying your DVD collection? It's the movies that matter. If you enjoy them now, it should stand to reason that you'll still enjoy them years from now, right? It's not like a new format will make your old discs unplayable - in fact, blu-ray players actually upconvert dvds and make them look better. The movies are still the same movies folks - I don't see what there is to get upset about.
Well said.

I guess for some people having the "best" collection is just that important, that not having the highest quality format means his DVD collection won't "matter" anymore. In the collector sense I guess I can see it but from a movie lovers sense it's kind of sad.
Old 10-13-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by dkedvd
Hahaha! Yay I'm not alone! And I thought I was crazy.
Ummm...I never said I wasn't crazy.
Old 10-13-09, 02:18 PM

Streaming, for me, is last resort/desperate entertainment. I only do it when there's nothing on TV. I hate being trapped at my computer desk watching a whole movie anyway (uncomfortable). It's such low quality entertainment to me. I feel the same about streaming music on the computer.
Old 10-13-09, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's a regular queue for the actual discs and an instant watch queue. You just go to the netflix section on tivo and it lists what's in the instant watch queue. Push play and it starts up.

You can't add stuff through the tivo or roku, you have to do it through the netflix site.

Just curious, are you using pyTivo to stream stuff?
So I have to be a member of netflix to get netflix on the Tivo, correct? How quickly does the stuff in teh queue show up on the tivo? If i wanted to watch Ghostbusters 2, could I add it to the Queue online, then watch it on the tivo 5 minutes later?

I am using pyTivo to stream to the tivo. Was going to use the Tvo desktop plus, but then I saw a thread about pytivo on tivocommunity.com . Seems to work great. Just make sure that your tivo desktop, if you have it, is not running when you install the pytivo or try to run pytivo.
Old 10-13-09, 05:27 PM

Blu-Ray will be my last big collection anyways.. I dont compare this to the transition from CDs to MP3.

4 or more years before I ever used iTunes I had all my CDs on my hard drive and much prefered to use an MP3 player with shuffle on.

I'm sure i'd stream a new release movie if the price was right, but it can never replace my physcial media.
Old 10-13-09, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wago70
Streaming, for me, is last resort/desperate entertainment. I only do it when there's nothing on TV. I hate being trapped at my computer desk watching a whole movie anyway (uncomfortable). It's such low quality entertainment to me. I feel the same about streaming music on the computer.
I'm assuming that folks are aware of on-demand-like services offered by cable companies? That's streaming...and the HD versions look, well, HD on my equipment. The point is, a huge portion of the population already has streaming available to them and it will only get bigger. Not a whole lot of people actually sit in front of a computer to watch a stream.
Old 10-13-09, 07:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This could be posturing by the CEO. I had read recently in some business investment thing that as well as Netflix is doing, there's an obvious end to their business on the horizen as other sources of renting become more common. It has nothing to do with what people buy format wise, but in terms of renting, getting the movie in some form that does not involve physical product will rapidly become more common so I think that Netflix has to make an effort to be the destination once their well developed mail order system becomes obsolete.
Old 10-13-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So I have to be a member of netflix to get netflix on the Tivo, correct? How quickly does the stuff in teh queue show up on the tivo? If i wanted to watch Ghostbusters 2, could I add it to the Queue online, then watch it on the tivo 5 minutes later?
Right, you need to be a member. As soon as you add it to your online queue, you can watch it. So if you had a laptop on your couch, you could add a movie, then go to the queue on your tivo and it'll be there.
Old 10-14-09, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
I'm assuming that folks are aware of on-demand-like services offered by cable companies? That's streaming...and the HD versions look, well, HD on my equipment. The point is, a huge portion of the population already has streaming available to them and it will only get bigger. Not a whole lot of people actually sit in front of a computer to watch a stream.
oh...i see. I thought the CEO of Netflix was referencing Netflix streaming On-Demand for their website only which you watch on your computer.
I have On Demand on comcast - here I thought streaming was strictly an internet thing.
Old 10-14-09, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wago70
oh...i see. I thought the CEO of Netflix was referencing Netflix streaming On-Demand for their website only which you watch on your computer.
I have On Demand on comcast - here I thought streaming was strictly an internet thing.
Netflix also streams on TiVo. I watched all of Jericho in HD last January when nothing was on regular TV though my Netflix queue. I agree that sitting in front of your computer to watch streaming content sucks. Watching it with HD quality on my HDTV sitting on my couch seconds after adding it to my queue online? PRICELESS.
Old 10-14-09, 12:42 PM

I want HD everything now!!! Of course our system isn't quite that advanced. For cables, I have a box from Comcast circa 1998 that get's too warm.
Of course, that kind of entertainment is my personal last resort (usually to fall asleep to). I prefer a material object...but in seismic California, I fear having to lose such items some day.
Old 10-14-09, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

If this is true for Netflix then they need to start working on their streaming access library immediately. Furthermore, they need to realize with the new flatscreen/widescreen format of TVs nowadays, there is no more need for Pan & Scan (it seems everything I get from their streaming store is in that format. I have Akira Kurosawa's Dreams in my instant queue and am afraid to watch it for fear it is chopped up.)
Old 10-14-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Right, you need to be a member. As soon as you add it to your online queue, you can watch it. So if you had a laptop on your couch, you could add a movie, then go to the queue on your tivo and it'll be there.
That is a very intriguing option. It looks liek the cheapest plan is $8.99 a month for 1 dvd at a time. Problem is, I dont usually rent alot of movies, but it would be real convienent to be able to stream new releases right to the Tivo. It would be nice if they offered a streaming only option, and charged a dollar or two per streamed movie.
Old 10-14-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
If this is true for Netflix then they need to start working on their streaming access library immediately. Furthermore, they need to realize with the new flatscreen/widescreen format of TVs nowadays, there is no more need for Pan & Scan (it seems everything I get from their streaming store is in that format. I have Akira Kurosawa's Dreams in my instant queue and am afraid to watch it for fear it is chopped up.)
Really? Unless something specifically make fullscreen, I've gotten it in widescreen. Not sure how you're watching stuff but I'd double check that video setting are correct(assuming you're not on a PC).

It would be nice if they offered a streaming only option, and charged a dollar or two per streamed movie.
Next year.

http://arstechnica.com/media/news/20...an-by-2010.ars

Netflix appears to be one company that sees the on-demand content-distribution-model writing on the wall. In a bid to remain relevant in a world of broadband connections and instant gratification, the company is likely to offer a subscription option that skips DVDs entirely, and allows access to its "Watch Instantly" on-demand streaming videos by 2010. "We've got one singular objective, which is 'Be successful in streaming,'" Netflix CEO Reed Hastings told Bloomberg in a recent interview.

Netflix originally debuted with a DVD-by-mail rental model, which leveraged the Web by allowing customers to search the company's movie database and create a queue of movies to watch. Customers paid a monthly subscription fee to have 3 DVDs sent from the top of the queue. After watching a movie, the DVD was returned in the company's emblematic red envelope and the next movie from the queue would be sent. Netflix expanded it options with variations on this theme, which allow for different numbers of DVDs to be at the customer's home at any given time.

In 2007, Netflix added a streaming movie option for all its subscribers. Any subscriber could stream a selection of about 1,000 movies (compared to about 70,000 in DVD form) directly to a PC. "While mainstream consumer adoption of online movie watching will take a number of years due to content and technology hurdles, the time is right for Netflix to take the first step," Hastings said then. "Over the coming years we'll expand our selection of films, and we'll work to get to every Internet-connected screen, from cell phones to PCs to plasma screens."

Since that time, Netflix has significantly expanded its streaming options. There are over 12,000 titles available to stream, including movies and TV shows. The company has an agreement to stream content from Starz Play and is hoping to cut deals with HBO and Showtime that would allow it to stream premium content from those channels. Recently Netflix added the option to stream to Macs as well as Windows PCs. And, in addition to partnering with Roku to build a set-top box for streaming directly to a TV, it has also partnered with LG, Samsung, TiVo, and Microsoft to build "Watch Instantly" support into various devices, including Blu-ray players and the Xbox 360. In fact, at least 1 million Xbox 360 owners are using their Xbox to stream content from Netflix.

"Most companies that are in our shoes fail," Hastings told Bloomberg. "Most companies that have a sort of generational evolution forward, like AOL from dial-up to broadband, fail." But he expects that the company's investment in building its stable of streaming content and subscriber base will pay off as streaming overtakes rental of physical media. There has already been evidence to suggest that customers using the "Watch Instantly" feature tend to prefer it to waiting for DVDs by mail.

Currently, the company is building its customer base by selling subscriptions to its DVD rental service, which, for all but the cheapest plans, includes unlimited streaming. Those increases in its subscriber base allow it to negotiate licensing for more streaming content. "But we recognize at some point in the long term, the streaming will be good enough that an appreciable number of people will find streaming is all they need," Hastings said. The increasing popularity of services like the iTunes Store and Amazon Video on Demand suggest that Netflix is on the right track.

It's not hard to imagine that on-demand access to video content is the future. Netflix gives customers instant access to a large library of content with just a click of the mouse—and that content can be streamed to any computer or a variety of A/V equipment and appear on whatever you use as a home theater. As iTunes did with music, Netflix is ready to give customers exactly what they want for video: legal access to what they want to watch, when they want to watch it, with plenty of ways to watch it.
Old 10-15-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thats sweet. Thanks for the link. Hopefully the pricing will be reasonable.

Was just checking out the Blockbuster streaming on the tivo last night. They want $3.99 per movie. seems awfully high, to me.
Old 10-15-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The CEO fails to mention that everyone will need high speed internet to do streaming. I know several people, my parents included, who live in rural areas where high speed is simply impossible.

Also, a lot of the Netflix streaming content is pure junk, B movies and low rent documentaries. Out of 12,000, I only have 269 in my queue that I consider worth watching.
Old 10-15-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
Also, a lot of the Netflix streaming content is pure junk, B movies and low rent documentaries. Out of 12,000, I only have 269 in my queue that I consider worth watching.
Have you gone through all 12000? Do they have most of the new releases each week? I ask because in checking out the recent releases in Blockbusters streaming area on Tivo, there were a good percentage of films that I had never heard of and would have no desire to watch and were never in theaters.
Old 10-16-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have you gone through all 12000? Do they have most of the new releases each week? I ask because in checking out the recent releases in Blockbusters streaming area on Tivo, there were a good percentage of films that I had never heard of and would have no desire to watch and were never in theaters.
I just sent you a link for a 30 day free trial so you can try it out for yourself. Seems like the easiest way to answer your questions.
Old 10-16-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
It may seem the same, but technically... no. On-demand service is not the same as internet streaming.

With a cable or satellite service that has on-demand, the signal basically goes from company's equipment to the TV. It's pretty much a direct path. It will be split and amplified many times along the way, but this is essentially it.

Online streaming (regardless of who provides it) gets zig-zagged all over the place (just like everything accessed on the internet) before it gets from the provider to a customer. It's the nature of how the internet works. Lots of alternate paths and redundancy built in. An online stream may start along a particular path and then switch to many different "routes" many times during the streaming.

Think of how a crow flies from point A to point B... a straight line, vs. how ants would get from the same point A to point B... by crawling all over the place before finally getting to B.
Old 10-16-09, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jon2
Think of how a crow flies from point A to point B... a straight line, vs. how ants would get from the same point A to point B... by crawling all over the place before finally getting to B.
Ants follow a trail they can detect by a type of scent, so it's not just random.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.