Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever get into it with a bootlegger?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anyone ever get into it with a bootlegger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Anyone ever get into it with a bootlegger?

Most of the bootleg sellers I see at conventions are the ones that sell unreleased or uncut versions of obscurities. At worst, they might sell copies of OOP or foreign unobtainables. Attendees at conventions know what they are getting from these guys, too. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone trying to sell a fake copy of something available legitimately or unreleased current movies (not saying they don't, but it's not as common as it used to be.).
Old 10-14-09, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
At the cons there's also a bunch of artists that sell their own limited edition prints of Marvel, DC, and other companies characters with no indication of permission from Marvel/DC. Representatives from Marvel/DC are present at most of these conventions and seem to turn a bling eye to it so I guess they don't care.
Art prints, or any art presentation, are acceptable if it's limited edition. What they can't do legally is slap that image on a t-shirt, mug or calender. Those companies aren't turning a blind eye, they just can't do anything, legally.
Old 10-14-09, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Regulus
Borrowing a line from that movie SpinalGuffman.

Afraid you'll get a Bootleg?

Don't go to the Barrel, get it from the Tree!
nice!
Old 10-14-09, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I don't know about that. I might need to get into it with YOU.

Hold on, now. I don't want this pomade. I want Coca Cola.

I'm a Coca Cola man.
Old 10-14-09, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
If they were so stupid as to not collect enough evidence to convict him on their own, to where they're relying on a guy that bought Jungle Book: The Bootleg, they deserve to lose.

He won't be subpoenaed.
This is good to know. I love Baloo and the gang, it's just not plane-ticket-and-new-shoes-for-court-appearance love.

I just gave them all the info I have. Maybe they wait until they get 10 complaints about the same seller address. Who knows.

It's strange to me how common it is, when it seems Disney could get with Ebay and shut things down in a hurry.
Old 10-14-09, 04:50 PM

I've probably bought over 500 DVDs in the secondary market, primarily off Ebay. During that time, I've wound up with three bootlegs I know of. One was an obvious bootleg (Chinese subtitles on the cover), but the other two you wouldn't suspect if you were a casual buyer or seller. I reported the first guy to Ebay but not the other two. Frankly, I didn't even realize they were bootlegs myself until I tried to play them weeks later.

If the person who sold you this DVD is an individual who is just trying to get rid of some old movies he's watched, there's a good chance he didn't know it was a bootleg. If it's someone who has dozens of copies of the same title on sale, it's a different story.
Old 10-14-09, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
I've probably bought over 500 DVDs in the secondary market, primarily off Ebay. During that time, I've wound up with three bootlegs I know of. One was an obvious bootleg (Chinese subtitles on the cover), but the other two you wouldn't suspect if you were a casual buyer or seller. I reported the first guy to Ebay but not the other two. Frankly, I didn't even realize they were bootlegs myself until I tried to play them weeks later.

If the person who sold you this DVD is an individual who is just trying to get rid of some old movies he's watched, there's a good chance he didn't know it was a bootleg. If it's someone who has dozens of copies of the same title on sale, it's a different story.
The latter, definitely.
Old 10-14-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinalGuffman
Hold on, now. I don't want this pomade. I want Coca Cola.

I'm a Coca Cola man.
Come now, we all know Pepsi is the superior cola!
Old 10-14-09, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by movieguru
They sell bootlegs and most of the big comicbook conventions. It seems to be the same guys at every convention. Nothing seems to happen to them.
Actually, I was at a Comic convention a couple of years ago, and there was a table where a guy was selling bootleg DVDs of films that were in theaters at the time. Someone apparently notified authorities, because Police came and confiscated all of his bootlegs and took him away in cuffs.
Old 10-14-09, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Come now, we all know Pepsi is the superior cola!
Oh, brother.
Old 10-15-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobSchlapowitz
Actually, I was at a Comic convention a couple of years ago, and there was a table where a guy was selling bootleg DVDs of films that were in theaters at the time. Someone apparently notified authorities, because Police came and confiscated all of his bootlegs and took him away in cuffs.
and did the collars match the cuffs? was he a natural redhead after all?