Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-09, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

[QUOTE=edwardnortonfan;9761955]Ok, I want to dig into my unwatched pile, but I don't want to watch total crap sooo...if I post the titles here, can people tell me if the movies are any good? I know people have different opinions of horror,but as a general rule, I trust horror fans more than critics, and I've only ever heard bad things about these movies, so if anyone has anything good to say, that would be a change...it would at least let me know if ANYONE liked these movies.

Virus-Crap
Interview with the Vampire-A tad too mainstream to be really good horror, but well worth watching
The Curse of the Crying Woman--Mexican horror, not very scary
Dark Corners-Haven't seen it
The Feeding-Amateurish
X:The Man with the X-ray Eyes-Absolute classic. A must-watch for Halloween!
Wolfen-Quite good.
Scream Bloody Murder -Haven't seen it.
In Dreams-Interesting idea, terrible execution
The Haunting of Molly Hartley-Crap
Sisters of Death-Haven't seen it.
Vampire JournalsAnother "vampires are sad, tragic immortals" flick. Worth watching,

Last edited by Gobear; 10-09-09 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-09-09, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by chuckd21
WITCHCRAFT 4 video review is up. Kill me now.
I only made it to part 3. I admire you.
Old 10-09-09, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Anyone getting close to finishing the optional checklist? I'm very determined to finish it as soon as I can, rather than the last day like last year. But each time I start to think about how close I'm getting to finishing it, I realize I have a lot more stuff that needs to be watched.
Old 10-09-09, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Anyone getting close to finishing the optional checklist? I'm very determined to finish it as soon as I can, rather than the last day like last year. But each time I start to think about how close I'm getting to finishing it, I realize I have a lot more stuff that needs to be watched.
I'm making good progress on it, not really close to finishing it though
Old 10-09-09, 10:11 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Same for me. I got off to a quick start because I was out of work. Now that I'm back on my regular schedule, I'm not killing myself to break any records or anything.
Slow start for me as I was gone, but now I'm fully in addiction mode. Will probably watch at least two a day for the rest of the month, with much more than that on days I'm off. I vowed to stay away from the checklist this year, but it beckons me once again.
Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
^ that movie is The Godfather Part 2 compared to Alone in the Dark.
That's a scary thought. Never found that one cheap, but as it satisfies a couple checklist items I'm sure I'll buy it eventually, and be scarred by it next year.
Originally Posted by Nikka488
I need some recommendations please! Obscure gems, new releases, older films.... I'm happy to PM a list of the horror movies I own if anyone is interested in seeing it to help make recommendations. Thank you in advance.
A lot of cool little reviews in the lists thread here, could give you some ideas as it always does for me.
Originally Posted by Giles
got The Children from netflix this afternoon,
Which The Children have you guys been talking about? The direct to video from last year, or the old one?
Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
What's everyone doing for the final night?
Unfortunately I work the 31st and the 1st, so I'll only be able to squeeze in a couple. Probably Halloween and something from my unwatched pile.
Old 10-09-09, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got done with work early today. Now the dilemma with my extra time: Check out the Mall of America while I'm here, or maybe the Best Buy headquarters store? Both of those involve spending money I don't want to spend. I'll probably just go with watching more horror. That's free!
Old 10-09-09, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Got done with work early today. Now the dilemma with my extra time: Check out the Mall of America while I'm here, or maybe the Best Buy headquarters store? Both of those involve spending money I don't want to spend. I'll probably just go with watching more horror. That's free!
I'm having a similar dilemma. I can't even sit at home without being tempted to spend money, as "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte" calls to me from my Wal-Mart online shopping cart, and "Trick 'r Treat" calls to me from Charter OnDemand (where it costs $5 to watch...)
Old 10-09-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
That's what happened to me the last year I did this. I wound up getting aggravated with all of the terrible DTV garbage I found myself watching. That's why I find myself re-watching a lot of stuff that I like this time around. I started off wanting to make a dent in my unwatched stuff but I figured it's not worth burning out so early with the possibility of bad flicks.
I hit the majority of those in my collection during the challenge from 2 years ago. So I'm glad many of those are out of the way.

The problem with me is that I would get into certain buying habits and by the time I hit the movies I started buying, if they were crap, I'd have already acquired a large number.

Originally Posted by Numes
^^ Claw of Terror is horrible. (prepares for Mister Peepers backlash....)
You have no soul.

I always spend the movie trying to figure out if the director tried to make it so bad it was funny or if he really thought everything he did was a good idea. I mean come on, out of all the people he kills, the only person that provides any challenge for him is an old bedridden woman.
Old 10-09-09, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
You have no soul.

I always spend the movie trying to figure out if the director tried to make it so bad it was funny or if he really thought everything he did was a good idea. I mean come on, out of all the people he kills, the only person that provides any challenge for him is an old bedridden woman.
Ok, let me reprise my comment. The movie was funny in that bad B-movie way and the main guy was actually a believable creepy weirdo. Will I ever watch it again? No, but I'm not going say that no one should watch it.

I think another thing that might have put me off is that I watched it on YouTube, and I hate watching TV shows or movies off of the internet. The quality is usually terrible and I don't get in the movie watching experience sitting at my computer desk watching something.
Old 10-09-09, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i watched two of those ghosthouse underground releases (offspring. The children) and both have been pretty fun watches. Ketchum being my favorite author imglad his film adaptions have all been watchable....sorta. The Children just creeped me out and cements my hatred of kids and had a gross out factor...not over the top i guess i just wasnt expecting it.

and I was sick all day yesterday and spent it in bed and only managed to watch 1 movie Zombieland...and wow i am definetely going to see it this weekend again at the theatre.
Old 10-09-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I watched the Innocent yesterday. I was wondering if anyone else has seen it? Without spoiling the movie, I thought some parts were wtf moments.
Old 10-09-09, 01:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

how is The Substitute (Vikaren)?
Old 10-09-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by takingchase
I'm getting really burnt out on bad horror movies.
I've been very lucky with avoiding crappy titles. Nothing so far has been mind-numbingly boring or just plain unwatchable.

And that leads to this question:

Anyone have the Inner Sanctum Mysteries box set that can recommend a worthy title or two? The few radio episodes I've heard on SIRIUS XM were more mystery & suspense oriented, so I wasn't sure if any were considered genre films and the reviews didn't really make it clear.

I'm hoping the answer is "Pillow of Death" because I wanna watch it alongside Death Bed.
Old 10-09-09, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just thinking of Taxi Driver and how some said that wouldn't count as horror. I'm a bit torn on the issue, since I do think the film could practically count as a horror film. A real life horror film, since it follows a disturbed individual going over the edge, and shows a pretty bleak world view of the city around him. The film is extremely disturbing and really gets under my skin. What makes it scary,is it's very realistic in that people can snap like they do and go insane for a variety of reasons. So that psychological stuff really freaks me out more than werewolves,zombies and vampires which I know are fictional things.

If horror is meant to frighten and disturb,unsettle and freak you out. Then something like Taxi Driver where such mental madness is quite possible does fit the horror label.

Sure the film is mainly labeled a 'drama', but the same case could be made for Carrie(1976). It hardly has any 'horror' elements and the telekinis is hardly used throughout the film, as we just follow the not so pleasent life of this character, until finally her fury is unleashed in the finale and it becomes 'obvious' horror. But until then,it's mostly a psychological 'drama' if horror is supposed to be 'fantastic' instead of more 'realistic'.
Old 10-09-09, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
I'm making pretty good progress on it too. I am trying not to use any movie more than once, with the exception of Silent/1910 and pre-MPAA/1900 combos. That's mostly just so I don't have to waste time watching old ass movies that I probably won't enjoy as much and I can spend my time watching crap like Shrooms which I just finished and didn't enjoy either.
Old 10-09-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I was just thinking of Taxi Driver and how some said that wouldn't count as horror. I'm a bit torn on the issue, since I do think the film could practically count as a horror film. A real life horror film, since it follows a disturbed individual going over the edge, and shows a pretty bleak world view of the city around him. The film is extremely disturbing and really gets under my skin. What makes it scary,is it's very realistic in that people can snap like they do and go insane for a variety of reasons. So that psychological stuff really freaks me out more than werewolves,zombies and vampires which I know are fictional things.

If horror is meant to frighten and disturb,unsettle and freak you out. Then something like Taxi Driver where such mental madness is quite possible does fit the horror label.

Sure the film is mainly labeled a 'drama', but the same case could be made for Carrie(1976). It hardly has any 'horror' elements and the telekinis is hardly used throughout the film, as we just follow the not so pleasent life of this character, until finally her fury is unleashed in the finale and it becomes 'obvious' horror. But until then,it's mostly a psychological 'drama' if horror is supposed to be 'fantastic' instead of more 'realistic'.
I find Schindler's List very unsettling and disturbing. I think it presents a decidedly bleak world view -- and it really happened! That doesn't make it a horror movie. Or The Pianist. I find the choice that Sophie had to make and the effect on her life to be very disturbing and sad, but it's not a horror movie.

I won't deny that Taxi Driver can be a disturbing, unsettling movie, but it is NOT a horror movie. You can mention a lot of titles that might have elements that are disturbing, unsettling or bleak, but that doesn't mean it's horror. And I think the style and the way Carrie was acted and directed was more in line with a horror movie even before the telekinesis made it "obvious horror," as you put it, than a film like Taxi Driver.

For me, one of the most brutal and frightening films I've ever seen was Touching the Void. That film just got under my skin. The first time I saw it, I was watching with my mouth agape and was more nervous and apprehensive than pretty much any horror movie has made me. But you know what? It's NOT a horror movie, despite the emotional response it gave me.
Old 10-09-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ParadiseVendors
I'm making pretty good progress on it too. I am trying not to use any movie more than once, with the exception of Silent/1910 and pre-MPAA/1900 combos. That's mostly just so I don't have to waste time watching old ass movies that I probably won't enjoy as much and I can spend my time watching crap like Shrooms which I just finished and didn't enjoy either.
We're taking different approaches. I'm looking for movies that I can use for multiple categories to minimize the time it takes to finish the checklist.

Last year, I wanted to finish the checklist but didn't care when in the month I did so, which meant a lot of scrambling at the end. Now I almost feel like the challenge won't really begin for me until I do finish it, like I can then relax and get on with other movies.

I guess the problem is that I have a lot of movies waiting that either don't easily fit the checklist or have already been checked. I'm thinking in terms of efficiency ... while also keeping up with the 31 days selections.
Old 10-09-09, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chad
Anyone have the Inner Sanctum Mysteries box set that can recommend a worthy title or two? The few radio episodes I've heard on SIRIUS XM were more mystery & suspense oriented, so I wasn't sure if any were considered genre films and the reviews didn't really make it clear.

I'm hoping the answer is "Pillow of Death" because I wanna watch it alongside Death Bed.
I just watched these for the first time the other day. Pillow of Death was pretty good, certainly worth a viewing, but my favorite was Dead Man's Eyes, which I definitely recommend as well, especially if you can get past the terrible "acting" by Acquanetta. The only other film I'd seen her in was Captive Wild Woman, in which her character never spoke... and now I know why.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 10-09-09 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-09-09, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Today I went with The Omen 4, which was the only I hadn't seen. I was pleasantly surprised with it and thought it was pretty decent. Then I decided to go with one of my favorite movies ever Return Of The Living Dead
Old 10-09-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chad
Oooh, you peaked my interest. I'll have to find that.
Old 10-09-09, 05:37 PM

Is Fire Walk With Me considered horror? I started it and I'll finish but just curious as to if I can use it or not.
Old 10-09-09, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wlverinefactor
Is Fire Walk With Me considered horror? I started it and I'll finish but just curious as to if I can use it or not.
How dare you start that and not finish it? Shame. Yes, it is horror. Listed second on IMDB.
Old 10-09-09, 05:58 PM

My goal for this challenge was 75 but 9 days in and I just hit 50 so I'm going to shoot for 100. Netflix watch instantly makes a huge difference.
Old 10-09-09, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
how is The Substitute (Vikaren)?
If you mean the one Ghost House released, then I wouldn't count it as a horror movie, even though the box is selling it as one. It's more of a sci fi/adventure/family/comedy type of deal than anything scary. It is a great movie, though, and one of the best released in that series.
Old 10-09-09, 06:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by dcrw6
If you mean the one Ghost House released, then I wouldn't count it as a horror movie, even though the box is selling it as one. It's more of a sci fi/adventure/family/comedy type of deal than anything scary. It is a great movie, though, and one of the best released in that series.
that is the one. family/comedy? really?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.