Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Old 10-23-09, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

So, been meaning to watch the Brothers Grimm which I haven't opened yet since getting it in a dump bin months ago. Would that be on a borderline as I hear it has a few frights in the film?

Last edited by ViewAskewbian; 10-23-09 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-23-09, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Chad

I've always felt it was one of their lesser efforts. That's why I'll be doing a The Vampire Lovers / Lust for a Vampire double-feature.
I'll be doing the same and MGM HD will be showing TWINS OF EVIL (as well as VAMPIRE CIRCUS) on November 1. Too late for the Challenge, but at least I can top off the trilogy.
Old 10-23-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last movie that made me "jump" was a film called Dark Remains. The acting was shit, but some of the effects were really good.
Old 10-23-09, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
So how many of us are jumpers?

I'll admit that I'm a wimp and jump/flinch at almost all the jump scares in any movie. Just had a particularly effective one at the beginning of End of the Line, but I'll bring that to it's thread.

I imagine that is the principal reason we all watch these films, right? The psychological impact of being scared is what we crave.
I don't think I'm really a jumper, I'll have to monitor that with the rest of the movies I watch. I do know, if I've already seen a movie before, it would be very difficult to scare me or make me jump. This is even the case for sequels. For example, Halloween had me completely on the edge of my seat the whole movie and I could hardly stand the tension. However, for the sequels, since I kind of knew the storyline and the flow of the movies, it wasn't quite as tense.

I think the biggest jump for me so far this year was from Hellraiser
Spoiler:
when the Jesus statue falls out of the closet and Kirsty catches it. Sometimes those non-scary moments are the times that catch me off guard the most.

I do love the tension in horror movies, but I'm not sure I would say I like being scared. I also am probably a lot more mainstream than a lot of other people participating, so it will be unlikely that I will delve into some of the "B-type" movies that are out there. That's not to say they aren't entertaining, but I just don't see myself going there for now.

I will say that anything horror that has to do with dentistry or teeth or drilling into peoples mouths really bothers me and I don't think I could bring myself to watch a movie for which that was the main plot. There was one of the Hellraisers (I think) that had a scene like that and it was tough to watch.

As a final thought, it is very rare for any movie to freak me out for any length of time more than the duration of the movie. I'm not sure I could handle that if I went to bed worried that someone was going to get me. The only two exceptions have been the first time I saw Nightmare on Elm Street when I was a kid and, more recently, when I saw American Psycho. Fortunately, those only stuck with me for one night and then I was fine.

For American Psycho, the thing that freaked me out the most was
Spoiler:
the fact that I thought for sure that it was all in his mind, then in the middle of the night my brain told me that all that actually happened, and it really really bothered me. I haven't seen the movie for a while, so I have forgotten most of the details of the movie, but that's what I remember freaked me out so much.
Old 10-23-09, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

New thread started ...again!

Please continue discussion here.