Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-09, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I just ordered Trick OR Treat. I plan to have a rock 'n roll triple feature later in the challenge = Trick or Treat - Rock 'N Roll Nightmare - Black Roses
What, no Hard Rock Zombies? Actually that was pretty terrible.

Coincidentally, there's a recent Top 10 Rock 'n Roll Horror Movies list. Earth vs the Spider?!
Old 10-13-09, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 5th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Chad
What, no Hard Rock Zombies? Actually that was pretty terrible.

Coincidentally, there's a recent Top 10 Rock 'n Roll Horror Movies list. Earth vs the Spider?!
Thanks, but that list seems to be just rock "oriented." I'm concentrating on actual rock'n horror. Not just music, but groups in the forefront of the story. Why watch a damsel in distress when it can be an aging 80's metal band??
Old 10-13-09, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, what a rip. I had this whole post written out and my computer restarted. Here goes again.

As someone who had never seen any of the Halloween movies, I thought I'd chime in with some quickie thoughts on them. I'm going to spoiler tag everything, just to be safe. I know that this may be more for the list thread, but I'm especially interested in others thoughts on the Halloween movies. I was also fortunately enough to basically know nothing about ANY of the movies, including story, actors, or anything.

Halloween:
Spoiler:
A an absolute classic. This is the type of movie that can actually scare me most of all. i.e. A movie that is based in reality and that could actually happen, meaning it doesn't have to do with Hell or dreams or anything. The best thing about this movie was that there was very little actual violence/killing, but for the WHOLE movie I was on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next. The breathing I thought was an excellent touch that they seemed to not to keep with the sequels (can’t remember if they did it on II or not.)

Halloween II:
Spoiler:
A solid sequel to the original. I am a big fan of sequels that start right after the previous movie. As Carpenter said in the Halloween commentary, the only reason they really did this sequel was to get paid for the original. I don’t really blame him for that. They seemed to try a bit too hard with some of the killing, but tried to keep in the spirit of the original. Also, didn’t think that Donald Pleasence would be back!

Halloween III: Season of the Witch:
Spoiler:
Fortunately, about the only thing I knew about the Halloween movies was that this one had nothing to do with Michael Myers. Otherwise I would have been like WTF throughout the whole movie. This movie actually wasn’t *terrible* for the first half of the movie, but man did it completely derail with the whole robot nonsense. The ending was terrible too.

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers:
Spoiler:
Holy shit, Donald Pleasence is back? I completely thought he was dead from the second movie (can you detect that I’m a novice when it comes to horror movies?) I really love this movie. I thought Danielle Harris was awesome as Jamie, and I really enjoyed the story. The ending was AWESOME, and I totally didn’t see that coming (once again, probably my horror movie naïveté.)

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers:
Spoiler:
Donald Pleasence, you sly dog, you’re going to be in all the Halloween movies, aren’t you? Once again, I like how this was a direct sequel to 4 and enjoyed the movie, but it’s too bad they decided to go in the direction of the ancient celtic demons or whatever. Some mystery there, but the ending didn’t work for me.

Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers:
Spoiler:
Donald Pleasence, back again. I’m now no longer surprised. I actually enjoyed this movie. It was definitely hit and miss on some of the story plots, but overall I did like it. The whole baby/cult thing didn’t work for me, but I know they were trying to keep with the story from 4-5. Paul Rudd was interesting, I didn’t really see him as a creepy character, but that’s only because I’ve seen him in so many comedic roles it’s hard to picture him as the “weird guy.” I did enjoy that they harkened back to the original for his character, though.

Halloween H20: 20 Years Later:
Spoiler:
We definitely now have some vibes of a modest budget 90’s horror flick here, but when you have actors like Jamie Lee Curtis and Adam Arkin in it, it takes a bit away from the teenage "I’m trying too hard for a scream fest" that a lot of the movies around this time (and even now) had. I thought it worked quite well. Jamie Lee was excellent as her original character, and I didn’t mind at all that they basically threw out the storyline from 4-6. The ending was really good here, although it baffles me a bit why she would drive the car off the cliff and everything just happened to work out perfectly to trap Michael. P.S. No Donald Pleasence in this one, I didn’t know until I checked IMDB that Halloween 6 was his last movie.

Halloween: Resurrection:
Spoiler:
What a big turd. Busta Rhymes was absolutely TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE, and I don’t even want to talk about it anymore.

Haven't watched the remake yet, I may just leave my Halloween experience as-is for now and watch it next year.
Old 10-13-09, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The first version of Halloween I watched was the extended version. Later on I got the box set and watched the blu-ray version with my wife and I found myself liking the extended version more.

For me, after the third one they all become a blur where later in the blur rapers show up.

I remember nothing of the second one and I like the third. As a kid, the only one they ever aired on TV was the third one and I hated it. Could never finish it since Mike wasn't in it and that's what I wanted to see.
Old 10-13-09, 09:34 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I envy you Numes, a first time viewing of Halloween!

I agree with much of your comments up there, mainly with the original being an absolute classic.

Do yourself a favor and skip the Rob Zombie remake. There are not enough negative words and cursing in all the languages of the universe to describe that film.
Old 10-13-09, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the Zombie Halloween remake.

*hides*
Old 10-13-09, 10:00 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan

*hides*
I'm no longer naming my first daughter after you.
Old 10-13-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Numes:

Since it appears you've become a fan of the Halloween series, I'd suggest picking up the 2-disc Halloween: 25 Years of Terror set. It's a great supplement to the series and can be picked up for a very reasonable price. For instance, it's available right now for $14.99 at Amazon.com but part of a buy 1, get 1 free sale consisting of some random horror titles.
Old 10-13-09, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Numes:

Since it appears you've become a fan of the Halloween series, I'd suggest picking up the 2-disc Halloween: 25 Years of Terror set. It's a great supplement to the series and can be picked up for a very reasonable price. For instance, it's available right now for $14.99 at Amazon.com but part of a buy 1, get 1 free sale consisting of some random horror titles.
This.

Plus, Heather Bowen totally shows her boobs.
Old 10-13-09, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Numes:

Yes, I've heard that's a good documentary. When I was researching last year what the best way to get all the releases of everything (which took forever BTW,) I ended up getting the 30th Anniversary Box Set, and thought I would be good for the titles it contained. Of course, I realized about a week ago after looking on dvdcompare.net that the "25 years of terror" disc in this release is just the first disc of the 2-disc set.

It looks like the 2nd disc is all panel discussions. I watched the panel discussion for 4/5 on the Halloween 4 DVD, and it was good, but man those people who ask the questions make me cringe sometimes with some of the awkward things they say. One guy told Danielle Harris that he "was totally over his crush with her." She was like 10 when she made 4/5! Ewww... Should I upgrade?

Last edited by Numes; 10-14-09 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-13-09, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Numes
As someone who had never seen any of the Halloween movies, I thought I'd chime in with some quickie thoughts on them...
Thanks Numes. I always like hearing about people's first time seeing movies that I've loved for like a million years. It often reminds me of the first time I saw them. Of course, I was probably 6 or 7 when I first saw Halloween so it's not exactly the same feeling.

BTW, I loved your trading cards idea from a few weeks ago.
Old 10-13-09, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Well, we learned tonight in the ER that my daughter has pneumonia and a bladder infection and my son has the flu. So the past few days haven't been quite the marathons that I'd hoped they'd be... and the rest of the week doesn't look too promising for horror movies. I feel like I might be coming down with something too so I'll probably nap when/if they do tomorrow. I'm basically playing the rest of the challenge by ear. Of course, when I do sneak in something, I'll be sure to post it. I managed to squeeze in about 28 minutes of Cube last night before practically passing out from exhaustion. Too bad too because I was really enjoying it.
Old 10-14-09, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Posted a video review for CHOPPING MALL (1986), which if you haven't seen, you MUST GO RENT OR BUY NOW!!!
Old 10-14-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Posted a video review for CHOPPING MALL (1986), which if you haven't seen, you MUST GO RENT OR BUY NOW!!!
just as soon as we get a proper 16x9 release.
Old 10-14-09, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
Oh, you're one of those.
Old 10-14-09, 08:47 AM

My movie watching has taken a hit in the last few days as I've been sick. I've managed maybe one or two a day. I'm feeling better today, so maybe when I get home from class I can bust out a good run of them. I'm almost to the 50 movies mark which is way better than I thought I could do. Now I just need to sit down and put those in my list here.
Old 10-14-09, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan

*hides*
I liked it. It's better than tons of other straight to video horror crap.

The trick is not to compare it to the original but treat it as it's own entity.
Old 10-14-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers

Agreed. I liked it quite a bit myself.
Old 10-14-09, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers

Put me in that group that liked it as well.....heck, i rather enjoyed the second one also. I appreciated what he was trying to do & I think it was apparent the second film got rushed. I'm hoping he spends a little time with the "Director's Cut" on DVD.
Old 10-14-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
No way! Seeing groups of people walk around on the top floor when the mall is supposed to be empty adds to the ambiance
Old 10-14-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Would 'Dead Man's Shoes' count? - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419677/ IMDB lists it as horror, so I'm assuming yes.
Old 10-14-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Going with Murnau's Nosferatu right now... I really need to get on buying the Masters of Cinema release
Old 10-14-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Pillowhead
Would 'Dead Man's Shoes' count?
I guess if IMDB lists it, it's OK. Although, there isn't anything remotely Horror in it..

But Paddy Considine is the shit.
Old 10-14-09, 03:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

just watched 'Seeding of a Ghost' - what an insane movie - the ending had me howling
Old 10-14-09, 03:59 PM

I was just looing at my netflix queue and about 90% of the horror stuff I have been waiting to get until this month has a wait now. Pretty much all of it was available now a couple weeks ago. I blame you guys, but all it really means I guess is that my horror marathon will have to go into november if I can't get the last few I want to see.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.