Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone here just simply will NEVER buy used?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-06-09, 04:21 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts

Just curious, and if so, why? is it a sight-unseen issue, or would you still not buy used even if you got the chance to inspect every last detail of the disc/package?
Old 10-06-09, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Anyone here just simply will NEVER buy used?

i've never bought used...but i probably would if it was something that was OOP and i could inspect every last detail.
Old 10-06-09, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I buy used occasionally.
Old 10-06-09, 05:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I sell used but I can only think of one thing I ever bought used. At least with the online used places I have checked out, the prices aren't that much better then what it can be had for new if you wait for good bargains. I generally try to wait for at least 50% off list price before purchasing new.
Old 10-06-09, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have not and never will
Old 10-06-09, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The B&M used I normally see are never at a price point that makes me jump. Even if the original owner treated the case kindly, they seem to get beat up in the stores. A defective dvd return can result in a movie I really don't want or store credit which I would rather do with out.
Old 10-06-09, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buy used very often. All of items I´ve received are like "brand new" . So why not save a lot of money...
Old 10-06-09, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought used twice: the first time it was the "Shawn Michaels: Boyhood Dream" DVD because it was $6.99, and I knew it would be a fun watch and that I wouldn't end up keeping it, and the second time was WrestleMania 16, because despite the $30 price tag, it was very out of print, and I thought better this than nothing. I returned it for a few weeks later when I couldn't get past the fact that $30 is a lot to spend on 2 discs, used.

I ended up getting it new for my birthday, anyway.
Old 10-06-09, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I think the only times that I have ever bought used were for OOP titles. Otherwise, I tend to always buy new. Many times when I see used prices, I just don't think the prices are good enough to warrant not buying new. Then again, I don't even have a good used place in my area.
Old 10-06-09, 08:34 AM
Banned

50% of my collection is used. I never pay more than $5.00 for a title and $10.00 for a Season or set. So I buy used all the time. I have NEVER had any problems with the thousand + used DVDs I own. Why? Because I check everyone before I buy it. I open it up and if it has even the smallest scratch I do not buy. There should never be a problem buying used as long as you first check your merchandise. I have 3 local Pawnshops that sell their used titles for only $2.99, and they are always having sales. Right now it is but two get one free, that's $2.00 a piece.

Last edited by dkedvd; 10-06-09 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-06-09, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

No, I have worked with some dirty hippies before, the kind that sell dvds in order to buy weed. And these people do not wash their hands, ever.

So no, I never buy used DVDs and if I did I would have to re-case it immediately.

Also on average I only pay around $5 or so for new movies so what incentive is there to pick up gross ones?
Old 10-06-09, 08:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
NAlso on average I only pay around $5 or so for new movies so what incentive is there to pick up gross ones?
"New"? As in was in theaters a month or two ago? Or do you mean 2 years and back titles that go on sale?
Old 10-06-09, 08:54 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
No, I have worked with some dirty hippies before, the kind that sell dvds in order to buy weed. And these people do not wash their hands, ever.

So no, I never buy used DVDs and if I did I would have to re-case it immediately.

Also on average I only pay around $5 or so for new movies so what incentive is there to pick up gross ones?
buy non hippie used dvds
Old 10-06-09, 09:44 AM

Never bought used. I did once receive something in the mail that appeared to be re shrinkedwrapped, but had I no way to prove it and was in excellent condition.
Old 10-06-09, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by DvDDan
buy non hippie used dvds
And that would be the point, you never know. Maybe it used to belong to a dirty hippy, or someone who likes to read the back cover in the bath room or maybe some guy who likes the feeling of DVD case on his taint.
Old 10-06-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I buy used all the time. There are too many titles I want that are OOP and don't want to pay the ridiculous price for a still sealed copy. When I buy online I only go with sellers that have exceptional feedback and when I buy in a store I always inspect the disc
Old 10-06-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I buy used all the time. As long as they don't have stickers or residue or anything along those lines I'm totally cool with used. Hell, half of my Blu-Ray collection is from this forums trading section.
Old 10-06-09, 10:47 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
I have not and never will
Old 10-06-09, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Absolutely hate to but there have been a few deals where I have made exceptions.
Old 10-06-09, 11:19 AM
Banned

Wow. I cannot believe how many people on here hate to buy used. I figured it would be a rather popular option. Paying between $10/$20 for one movie is ridiculous. I can get 4 or more used movies for that price if I wait a month after the release. Pawn shops are the best for this. They usually have a set price for all DVDs (or at least the ones I have been to do). I cant tell you how many week old 3 disc special collection edition titles I have picked up for $5.00 or less at my local pawn shops. Though why people buy these and sell them so quickly is beyond me. Though I suspect they stole them and took them to the pawn shop for the cash. Ohh well... Works in my favor. I buy used from movie rental stores all the time as well. 4 for $20.00 on titles that are only a few months old. Cant beat that.
Old 10-06-09, 11:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paying between $10/$20 for one movie is ridiculous.
If you are patient and wait for sales, or have the time/interest (which I don't) and do the "clubs" right, you shouldn't be paying anywhere near $20 (at least for a single movie -- TV series and special box sets are different), and rarely even in the $10 range. Overall though I'm w/ you, the 4 for $20 or 5 for $25 BBV recently had I'll usually find enough titles to put together to make it worth while (this last time was a stretch though, I've just run out of catalog titles I'm interested in having). When I do buy used though I generally try to buy it from a store/someone w/ a return policy (fortunately I haven't had to use it yet). Only when I really want something and no one else has it will I buy something from an individual.
Old 10-06-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by dkedvd
Wow. I cannot believe how many people on here hate to buy used. I figured it would be a rather popular option. Paying between $10/$20 for one movie is ridiculous. I can get 4 or more used movies for that price if I wait a month after the release. Pawn shops are the best for this. They usually have a set price for all DVDs (or at least the ones I have been to do). I cant tell you how many week old 3 disc special collection edition titles I have picked up for $5.00 or less at my local pawn shops. Though why people buy these and sell them so quickly is beyond me. Though I suspect they stole them and took them to the pawn shop for the cash. Ohh well... Works in my favor. I buy used from movie rental stores all the time as well. 4 for $20.00 on titles that are only a few months old. Cant beat that.
If you wait a month or so after release date, most titles start getting really good sale prices anyway. I don't mind paying a bit more for a title if I know I'm the first owner and that it should be in perfect working condition without any disc inspection necessary.
Old 10-06-09, 12:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by clckworang
I don't mind paying a bit more for a title if I know I'm the first owner and that it should be in perfect working condition without any disc inspection necessary.
LOL. Ohh I get it... This isn't about the fact that it is used. Its just people are too damn lazy to inspect a disc. Ha! I should have known.
Old 10-06-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I buy used from amazon all the time and Ive never had a problem I also buy from video stores all the time as well
Old 10-06-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I buy used titles frequently. It doesn't bother me much at all. Sometimes a case's condition isn't the best but then I do have cheap replacement DVD/Blu-ray cases I keep in order to switch the occasional mishap out. Most of the time Used titles I get are in very good to like new condition so why pay 3 to 4 times as much for some shrink-wrap? No thanks. If I can save money by buying used, I will. However, I do prefer buying new titles but will only purchase them when they are reasonably priced/on sale. To me $20 is easily way to much for any single movie on Blu-ray, so I've only made a handful of exceptions, and that's ridiculously high for a new DVD - I'd pay $10 tops, but that's extremely rare (honestly I think mainly Criterion's are worth that much to me). I average probably around $5 on all my DVD's/HD DVD's and $10 on Blu-ray's... and that can be on new titles.

Bottom line, however, is that I'll buy used if it can save me money. That's what it comes down to for me. I want the films and a nice collection and saving money on every title I get helps me to actually get more which increases my enjoyment of collecting.

Anyone that did not take advantage of the recent $6 Blu-ray's from GoHastings because they were used (in like new condition) is just being silly IMHO.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.