Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone here just simply will NEVER buy used?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anyone here just simply will NEVER buy used?

Old 10-06-09, 12:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Anyone here just simply will NEVER buy used?

At least 50% of my collection was used. The way I look at it, every DVD once opened will be considered in "used condition." When I buy from video rental stores I ask to inspect the discs, and like someone else mentioned, if there's just one little scratch I don't buy it.
Old 10-06-09, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GenPion
Anyone that did not take advantage of the recent $6 Blu-ray's from GoHastings because they were used (in like new condition) is just being silly IMHO.
Gotta say that is one thing I'll never do. Buy used off line. I need to be able to inspect the DVD first.
Old 10-06-09, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've never bought a used dvd from places like Blockbusters. I've bought about 20 from pawn shops. The main ones I found were the old OOP Sony WS/FS flippers
Old 10-06-09, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by dkedvd
LOL. Ohh I get it... This isn't about the fact that it is used. Its just people are too damn lazy to inspect a disc. Ha! I should have known.
I wouldn't say it's laziness, but I'd rather wait for a good deal online somewhere like Amazon and possibly pay a bit more for it new rather than go through discs at a pawn shop or rental store and be at the mercy of the inventory they have on hand and feel the need to inspect the discs for scratches. Especially where I live, it's not likely I'd find too many of the titles that I'm interested in anyway. I'd rather spend my time watching DVDs rather than looking for them.
Old 10-06-09, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,799 Likes on 1,210 Posts

I picked up Rescue Dawn as a used renter from my local video store, with a black-and-white xeroxed cover! Now I know I am the lowest of the low.
Old 10-06-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only buy used if it is something that is OOP
Old 10-06-09, 01:55 PM

I buy used more often than new.
Old 10-06-09, 06:37 PM
Banned

Gotta say that is one thing I'll never do. Buy used off line. I need to be able to inspect the DVD first.
I prefer to do all my DVD shopping in-person at a brick & mortar store but have bought a few from FamilyVideo.com, great service and clean discs. I was tempted to order some used titles from GoHastings.com but the shipping costs (sometimes twice as much as the DVDs themselves) were too steep for me to jump aboard. I've only bought DVDs from one pawn shop, but browsed in a couple different shops.
Old 10-06-09, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll purchase used titles if they're OOP, but otherwise never.
Old 10-06-09, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've purchased used on rare occasion for OOP and hard to find stuff when I could use something like amazon.com and I relied on the seller's rating. I've bought a random PRP title from Blockbuster from time to time as well. I got Chicago 10 and The Edukators for 3.99 each and the discs were in pristine condition. The best thing about my taste in movies is the used product I do seek out is usually in great shape.
Old 10-06-09, 07:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by clckworang
I'd rather spend my time watching DVDs rather than looking for them.
The hunt is half the fun!
Old 10-06-09, 07:45 PM

I for one think that buying used is an excellent way to save a couple of bucks. If I can find a sealed copy for a reasonable price, I'll buy a sealed copy instead. I have purchased several of used copies of OOP WWF/WWE on eBay. Although I can't visualy inspect the disc before buying it, I make sure to inspect it the minite I receive the item. Everytime, the case and disc came in like new condition. I'm statisified 110% of the time. Thankfully, people keep the case and disc(s) in excellent condition to insure themselves in the event if they have to sell it.
Old 10-06-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have probably close to 2000 DVDs I bought used. I have no problem buying used AT ALL.
Old 10-07-09, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

I find many of the used CD/DVD stores in Vancouver want the same price or more for used older DVDs.

Why buy a used "Carrie" for $7.99 when I can buy it at Wal-Mart for $4.99 brand new? They seriously need to sharpen their pencils or at least keep tabs on what the current prices are. It's no longer 2003.

Sometimes I'll buy DVD from the local video store for $9.99 when the stores are selling the new copies for $18.99. The discs are guaranteed and most have only been rented a couple of times.
Old 10-07-09, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only buy used if the price is good and after a thorough check of the discs (at places like Goodwill and Half Price Books).

For example, I got the Peckinpah set (with The Wild Bunch and Pat Garrett...) for 9.99 today at a Salvation Army.
Old 10-07-09, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
I picked up Rescue Dawn as a used renter from my local video store, with a black-and-white xeroxed cover! Now I know I am the lowest of the low.
No sir, you are not: I bought an ex-rental copy of The Sentinel at a flea market without a cover for a buck.
Old 10-07-09, 09:17 AM

Most of my buying this year has been used, since there are relatively few good deals out there for new DVDs. I particularly like buying at Blockbuster and Half Price, but also from Amazon and the occasional garage sale. Average cost per disc is $3; what's not to like about that? However, I do examine each disc and make sure it's not too marked up. Most recent DVD players seem to be able to handle slightly scratched discs, so why not save some $ and buy used? I guess I'm no purist.
Old 10-07-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I used to think that way back in the earliest days of DVD. Now I just want the convenience that my Amazon Prime membership gives me. I don't particularly like going shopping anyway.

But just because I don't scour pawn shops and rental places for used discs doesn't mean I don't still go on the hunt. Only now I keep my eyes open for any good deals.
Old 10-07-09, 10:20 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Used copy with ripped case and loose scratched disc

=

pristine new copy with perfect slipcover and unblemished disc.

I sort of understand the people who feel differently, as I'm OCD about some stuff obviously, and I prefer pristine of course. But if the price is cheaper or its the only copy of something I want, I'll take the very used copy with no hesitation.

And I'm getting closer to the point where I'm going to throw away all my packaging and cases. DVDs can go in binders or on spindles, and all be ripped to hard drives.
Old 10-07-09, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by orangerunner
I find many of the used CD/DVD stores in Vancouver want the same price or more for used older DVDs.

Why buy a used "Carrie" for $7.99 when I can buy it at Wal-Mart for $4.99 brand new? They seriously need to sharpen their pencils or at least keep tabs on what the current prices are. It's no longer 2003.

Sometimes I'll buy DVD from the local video store for $9.99 when the stores are selling the new copies for $18.99. The discs are guaranteed and most have only been rented a couple of times.
I have seen Carrie at Big Lots for $3 !

You are right about sharpening their pencils I have seen on many occasions Used DVDs at Newbury Comics priced higher than new ones and they will be right next to each other on the shelf the new one will be $5.99 and then $7.99 Used.
Old 10-07-09, 12:49 PM

I don't buy used online, as you never know what you are going to get.

From time to time I buy used from Blockbuster. The boxes are clean, and they will replace on that doesn't play, which is my actual concern.

These days, with older movies being marked down and often packaged 2:1, 3:1 or 4:1 I see less reason to buy used.

I bought a 2:1 at a pharmacy the other day - Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead. Great buy at $9, in my opinoin, as the two used at Blockbuster would have cost more.
Old 10-07-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Drake
I have seen on many occasions Used DVDs at Newbury Comics priced higher than new ones and they will be right next to each other on the shelf the new one will be $5.99 and then $7.99 Used.
Sad, but that is so true. Need to be very careful shopping in that place.

OT - no problem buying used. Prefer it as long as the savings > $5 per disc. Will not buy used online unless it's OOP. Will not buy used if the package is roughed up (wear isn't a problem), has a rental sticker, there's a floater or if it's a by a certain distributor (Criterion for example).

Last edited by visitor Q; 10-07-09 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-07-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Exactly!

We've recently gotten into Doctor Who, new and classic, and there's a used shop we go to that seems to have new classic titles every other week. I bought 5-6 titles the last time we were there.

I'd say 75-80% of my nearly 1000 DVDs are used. I always check the disc, and even if it's scuffed, most places now have buffing machines that they'll do for free at time of purchase. If the case is scuffed, but the actual paper cover is okay, I'll still buy cause I just trim it to fit in a slim case to save shelf space.

The only thing is boxsets, they're harder for me to buy because of the damage, but even then if it's only a tiny scuff or something I'll just put it on my shelf with that towards the wall.
Old 10-07-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Usually I only buy used if it's OOP.

Other than that I prefer to buy new because I want to ensure that there's not even the slightest scratch to make it skip when watching it.
Old 10-07-09, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

I NEVER buy used for the purpose of saving money- I've gotten a lot of brand-new discs for LESS than what they cost used elsewhere! Someone said they got "The Edukators" used for $4, well I got it NEW at Big Lots for $3! I'm obsessive and want to keep every part of the packaging, and know when the discs has been touched and played. I didn't buy used laserdiscs either until the format started being phased out, and discovered the fun of discs made in the early 80s.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.