Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official MST3K / Rifftrax / Cinematic Titanic DVD Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-15, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts
Re: Official MST3K / Rifftrax / Cinematic Titanic DVD Thread

During the live show, they also said that it will include riffs for movies still in theaters, and strongly hinted that there would be one for The Force Awakens.

That's a cool idea, but I'm just imagining someone sitting in a theater watching a movie and listening to rifftrax, and laughing throughout the film at jokes no one else can hear.
Old 12-04-15, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Here's the goodies link for tonight's live show:

Rifftrax.com/magicbeans
Thanks! I couldn't make it last night, but will be going to the reairing.

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
During the live show, they also said that it will include riffs for movies still in theaters, and strongly hinted that there would be one for The Force Awakens.

That's a cool idea, but I'm just imagining someone sitting in a theater watching a movie and listening to rifftrax, and laughing throughout the film at jokes no one else can hear.
I remember Kevin Smith was set to release an mp3 commentary for one of his films - Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back or Clerks II, I think - while it was still in theaters, but I believe the studio nixed that idea. That would've been interesting.
Old 12-04-15, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

It was for Clerks 2
Old 12-04-15, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
I remember Kevin Smith was set to release an mp3 commentary for one of his films - Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back or Clerks II, I think - while it was still in theaters, but I believe the studio nixed that idea. That would've been interesting.
Director Rian Johnson did this for both The Brothers Bloom and Looper:
http://www.wired.com/2012/10/looper-...le-commentary/
http://www.slashfilm.com/rian-johnso...rothers-bloom/

Both are unique commentaries different from what's on the DVD/Blu-ray.

It'd be interesting if for Rifftrax a group outing could be done; like, rent a theater for a screening of the film, then use a boombox or speakers for the commentary track.
Old 12-08-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As part of the Kickstarter promotion, MST3K double-features are live-streaming every night this week 7PM ET/4PM PT, with new intros from Joel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB09ZefcMCw
Edit: Apparently the above link is a saved video of the stream from Monday, just go to the main Youtube Channel to view the live link:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mst3kofficial

Friday, the double feature streams early at 5PM ET/2PM ET, followed by a live stream of the countdown to the end of the Kickstarter.

Last edited by Jay G.; 12-09-15 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-09-15, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While it hasn't been officially announced, nine new episodes of MST3K has been mathematically achieved! It will be a rough climb to the full twelve.
Old 12-09-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

You don't even have to join the kickstarter; buy an add-on reward instead. Twelve episodes may not guarantee multiple seasons but it makes it more likely, so contribute however you can.
Old 12-09-15, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Joel just announced the writing staff, which includes all the on-screen performers for the relaunch, Dan Harmon of Community, Dana Gould from The Simpsons and a bunch of others, including original writer Paul Chaplin.

There's also an EGOT winner working on the music, Robert Lopez.

Plus, original writer Paul Chaplin will be part of the staff.
Old 12-09-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
You don't even have to join the kickstarter; buy an add-on reward instead. Twelve episodes may not guarantee multiple seasons but it makes it more likely, so contribute however you can.
Keep in mind that they recommend you pledge at least a dollar on Kickstarter to get the kickstarter backer-only updates:

http://mst3k.com/kickstarter/faq/addons
However, if you only buy Add-On Rewards, you won't be counted as an official Kickstarter Backer – so even if you just want Add-On Rewards, we suggest pledging at least $1 on Kickstarter so that you can help us prove that there are still lots of people who want more MST3K, and get the behind-the-scenes updates from Joel.
Old 12-09-15, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Plus, for the $1 pledge you'll also get the Rifftrax short. That's at least a $2 value!
Old 12-10-15, 01:17 PM

Joel updated with a list of very impressive potential guest cameos including: Jack Black, Joel McHale, Bill Hader, Neil Patrick Harris, Jerry Seinfeld and Luke Skywalker himself: Mark Hamill!
Old 12-11-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Less than 11 hours left on the MST3K Kickstarter. It's very close to getting a full 12 episode season, and now there's the chance they'll do a 13th episode, a Holiday Special spoofing a Christmas movie, if they get enough funding.
Old 12-11-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I just bumped my pledge from $100 to $200. Would love to see a holiday special and I'm sure I'll want discs so seemed like a no-brainer.
Old 12-11-15, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As of this moment, it's at 5.5 million (including the add-on money), so it looks like 12 episodes is a go.
Old 12-11-15, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Telethon is a bit of a trainwreck but still really fun .

They just hit 5,900,000 so we're getting at least 12 eps and the number keeps raising...
Old 12-11-15, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
5,900,000 means the 13th holiday episode too.
Old 12-12-15, 12:10 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finished! $5,764,229 through Kickstarter alone, beating Veronica Mars to be the highest video/film Kickstarter ever. The additional Add-On money brought the total over $6.3 million, which means there's going to be 14 episodes.

Last edited by sb5; 12-12-15 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-12-15, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the archived video of the MST3K Kicskstarter telethon from last night to watch in all it's video-glitchy glory (it actually starts about 9m 17s in):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XWg86LhybXo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://youtu.be/XWg86LhybXo?t=9m17s

If you wonder about the story Ashley Holtgraver (of Freezpop) tries to tell at the 3:22:00 mark, it's the same as the one she told in this clip during the Turkey Day Marathon:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YnNVb65WyTI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://youtu.be/YnNVb65WyTI?t=2m48s

Felicia Day also live-streamed the event on Facebook via her phone for about an hour, that's available here:
https://www.facebook.com/FeliciaDay/..._video&theater
Old 12-12-15, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I am pleasantly surprised. I didn't think it'd get this far, though I figured the attention would catch the eye of some network that would give it funding. Very nice to see a fandom come together like this.
Old 12-18-15, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There were three Cinematic Titanic riffs that were only ever done live, never recorded: The Astral Factor, The Doll Squad and Sampson and the Seven Miracles of the World.

But someone did record the audio for an Astral Factor live show and today someone sent me a Dropbox of it synced up with a copy of the film. It's not perfect, but the end result is a bootleg "lost" Cinematic Titanic episode.

It was never commercially released, so would it be out of line for me to share it via Dropbox with anyone interested? I figure it fits the "Keep Circulating the Tapes" ethos of MST3K.

If you're interested, pm me your email. If this isn't cool, I'm sorry.
Old 12-23-15, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rifftrax just released their auto-sync app, that automatically syncs their commentary tracks with the movie. For a limited time, they're offering the rifftrax for the first 6 Star Wars movies on it for free. Android only at the moment, the iOS one is pending approval into the App Store.:
http://www.rifftrax.com/app
Old 12-23-15, 09:16 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Rifftrax just released their auto-sync app, that automatically syncs their commentary tracks with the movie. For a limited time, they're offering the rifftrax for the first 6 Star Wars movies on it for free. Android only at the moment, the iOS one is pending approval into the App Store.:
http://www.rifftrax.com/app
This makes me happy. While I love Rifftrax, I've only listened to their live events or public domain dvds, as syncing sounded like a pain in the ass.
Old 12-23-15, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
This makes me happy. While I love Rifftrax, I've only listened to their live events or public domain dvds, as syncing sounded like a pain in the ass.
Really? I always just played the Rifftrax mp3 on my computer while I watched the movie on my tv. It couldn't have been more simple.
Old 12-23-15, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Really? I always just played the Rifftrax mp3 on my computer while I watched the movie on my tv. It couldn't have been more simple.
The syncing was pretty straightforward, start the mp3, wait for the sync point, start the movie. Pausing could be an issue though, as you have to time pausing and unpausing both devices.

They also have had the Riffplayer for a while, for syncing playback of both on a PC, but I'm not sure how popular it is:
http://www.rifftrax.com/riffplayer

It looks like the app is currently in beta, so it only syncs the 6 free Star Wars tracks at the moment.
Old 12-23-15, 11:22 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Computer and TV are in different rooms. I guess I could do it on my tablets... But anyway, I'm glad I waited. Free app, six free riffs!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.