DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Official MST3K / Rifftrax / Cinematic Titanic DVD Thread

Closing in on $200,000 already!
Old 11-10-15, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was the wit and performances of Joel, Mike, Trace, Frank, Kevin, Josh, Mary Jo, Bill, Paul, and the others that made MST3K what it was. Without them, this is just another riffing project using the same puppets.

Unless there's at least a couple more of the CT crew involved, I won't likely contribute. I wish Joel the best of luck but I gots me a bad feeling about this.
Old 11-10-15, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Joel's been down on a MST3K comeback for so long, I don't see him doing this if not for Rifftrax's popularity.
Old 11-10-15, 01:59 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Preterite
It was the wit and performances of Joel, Mike, Trace, Frank, Kevin, Josh, Mary Jo, Bill, Paul, and the others that made MST3K what it was. Without them, this is just another riffing project using the same puppets.

Unless there's at least a couple more of the CT crew involved, I won't likely contribute. I wish Joel the best of luck but I gots me a bad feeling about this.
I love them all except Pearl, but it was much more their wit than performances. So as long as a couple of the originals are writing, and the new actors aren't worse than them, it should be good.
Old 11-10-15, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Joel's been down on a MST3K comeback for so long, I don't see him doing this if not for Rifftrax's popularity.
The main reason Joel went with Cinematic Titanic instead of MST3K was the rights issues. Jim Mallon/Best Brains held the rights, and Jim and pretty much everyone else involved with MST3K had a falling out. Hell, that's the reason Mike and the gang did The Film Crew and Rifftrax instead of resurrecting MST3K.

Mallon tried doing some stuff with the MST3K brand over the years, such as the animated web series featuring the bots, but nothing worked except for the home video releases of the original show. It seems he's eventually figured out that the best way forward is to license MST3K back to Joel.
Old 11-10-15, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
I love them all except Pearl, but it was much more their wit than performances. So as long as a couple of the originals are writing, and the new actors aren't worse than them, it should be good.
Mary Jo Pehl was a writer on the show since 1992, and was the disembodied voice of the ship (commercial sign announcements) during that time too.
Old 11-10-15, 02:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Mary Jo Pehl was a writer on the show since 1992, and was the disembodied voice of the ship (commercial sign announcements) during that time too.
Yeah, I love her as a writer, but hated all the Pearl segments.
Old 11-10-15, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Reddit AMA is now live:
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen..._theater_3000/

First notable reveal: The host/mads/bots will all be new actors. The new host and bots are actually in the Kickstarter pitch video.
Old 11-11-15, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

It's at $968,899 this morning.

I can't believe there's no network out there that wouldn't be willing to chip in a few bucks, like Netflix or Hulu.
Old 11-11-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's broken $1 million.

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I can't believe there's no network out there that wouldn't be willing to chip in a few bucks, like Netflix or Hulu.
They might be willing to, but those sorts of deals take time to negotiate, and can fall through. They'd also come with stings attached. Joel may prefer having creative freedom.

If the season is funded, I could see a metwork/streaming service picking it up. If so, that money would either go towards improving the show, or possibly towards funding a second season.
Old 11-11-15, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, apparently Shout! now owns MST3K?

http://www.worldscreen.com/articles/...ncetheater3000

Under the deal, Shout! Factory now owns proprietary rights to MST3K, including all brand assets and global intellectual property. The company plans to support the MST3K brand with a long-term growth strategy that encompasses new content development, digital media initiatives, live events, merchandise-licensing programs and content syndication to international territories.
Old 11-11-15, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, apparently Shout! now owns MST3K?

http://www.worldscreen.com/articles/...ncetheater3000
The Kickstarter sorta references this:
2. We had to work through some complicated legal issues.

Even though we've always wanted to bring MST3K back, it wasn't that easy. Thanks to the Last Will and Testament of one eccentric old heiress, the rights were tied up for years. It took time to work those issues out, but with the help of my friends at Shout Factory, a special chokehold I perfected in WuDang that I like to call “The Persuader,” and a night I had to spend in a haunted house as a term of the the old lady’s will, we succeeded.

This summer, we finally got all of the rights cleared up… and now, like Orpheus, we can now descend into hell to hang out with a couple of wisecracking robots.
I'm guessing Shout Factory had the monetary means to secure the rights, and it probably made sense to them to secure the rights just for the catalog titles alone. But then they're also willing to partner with Joel, letting him produce new episodes.
Old 11-11-15, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yeah, I love her as a writer, but hated all the Pearl segments.
I'm not a fan of the host segments during the Sci-Fi years, either.

I am a huge Cinematic Titanic fan, though, and much prefer them over RiffTrax. I even flew out to San Francisco to catch a "double feature" during their farewell tour*. I damn near asphyxiated a couple of times during each of the films - it's a damn shame we'll never get releases of The Doll Squad or The Astral Factor.

* Apparently Chicago didn't make the cut, probably because their preferred theater closed down.
Old 11-16-15, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Kickstarter is at $1.8 million. They want to get to $2 million in the next 24 hours so they can boast that they reached their main goal in the first week of funding. If they reach it, they'll give digital downloads of 3 classic episodes to people who pledged $35 or more.

Also, the latest update announced that Jonah Ray from The Nerdist is the proposed new host (although nothing is final until the main goal is reached):
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1415162
I can't really tell you what kind of host Jonah is going to be, but I hope you'll give him a chance to show you. And even if you're familiar with Jonah's career, remember: that doesn't mean he'll bring the same exact approach to MST3K. I think a lot of you may be surprised. Plus, like the previous members of our cast, I think Jonah has great instincts and a lot of range. He's funny, he's wicked smart, and like I said, his heart's in the right place. He loves MST3K, he seems to understand what makes it so special, and most important, I know he takes the role seriously.
Old 11-16-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no idea who that is. What's he like?
Old 11-16-15, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's this thing called Google.....

Seriously though, I know him mainly from the short-lived Nerdist TV show, and he had a laid-back dryly sarcastic vibe there.
Old 11-16-15, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Went ahead and ponied up $200. The free episode downloads if they make it to two million, in less than 24 hours now, didn't hurt. They're gonna make the goal for sure, so we're 'guaranteed' at least 3 episodes. The stretch goals...who can say?
Old 11-16-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

He and Chris Hardwick interviewed Joel on The Nerdist a few years back. I plan to give it a listen soon. It might give a good idea of how they interact:

http://nerdist.com/nerdist-podcast-joel-hodgson/
Old 11-16-15, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Ah, what the hell. I threw in $35 a minute ago, as it was hovering just below $2 million. MST3K's been a big thing to me over the years, I don't mind giving them a little something back.
Old 11-16-15, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's funded! The first three episodes, at least.
Old 11-16-15, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, the latest Rifftrax email had this to say about the MST3K Monday episodes they're putting up:
http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...7&e=29c252ed83
A significant share of the profits of all MST3k episodes sold on RiffTrax.com will be paid out directly to ALL principal cast members of MST – Mike, Joel, Kevin, Bill, Mary Jo, Trace, Frank, Josh and Bridget. We feel it’s important that the original artists benefit directly from their awesome work. So if you want to support them, buy your MST here on RiffTrax!
The email also mentioned the Kickstarter, encouraging people to pledge. So even if the Rifftrax crew isn't directly involved (so far), they seem on friendly terms with Joel.

This week's Entertainment Weekly has an article on the Kickstarter. It mentions Jonah Ray, but also reveals that the proposed Mads is Felicia Day, and that actors Baron Vaughn and Hampton Yount are the new bots (but not which bot).

Finally, a Kickstarter update mentioned that the Turkey Day marathon is still happening this year, and that you can send fan mail they may read "on the air" by emailing [email protected] before THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 19 at 5 PM ET.
Old 11-17-15, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Slightly less than another million and we'll have six episodes. Not even 20,000 people have donated. Reminds me of pre-ordering The Irresponsible Captain Tylor set, way back when.
Old 11-17-15, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The email also mentioned the Kickstarter, encouraging people to pledge. So even if the Rifftrax crew isn't directly involved (so far), they seem on friendly terms with Joel.
That's good to hear. When the Kickstarter was first announced Mike made this Facebook post, which I thought was kind of terse:

Originally Posted by Michael J. Neslon
A number of people were curious, so just FYI, I'm not involved at all with the Mystery Science Theater 3000 reboot.
That is all.
Carry on.
Over and out.
Checking his page just now to get that quote, I see that I missed his follow up:

Originally Posted by Michael J. Nelson
Just a quick follow-up to my last post: and I know I risk being insufferable with this stuff, so please, please skip if you're not interested in the sausage making.

I loved my time at MST, but I was in essence a hired gun. The brand does not belong to me, and I make and have made (almost) zero dollars off it since it stopped production in 1999.

But HAPPILY -- I've spent nine years putting all my energies into RiffTrax (we now have created more tracks than we did in our time at MST!) and we have tons of exciting stuff coming up, including more live shows, more feature length stuff (including one of the finest films to ever feature an NES Power Glove), shorts, etc., etc.

As a fan of riffing of all kinds I'm glad there's going to be more out there, but just wanted to give a fuller picture of why I'm not involved.

Let me just close by saying how enormously grateful I am to be able to continue to work at something I love. So, thank you, all.
Old 11-20-15, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Info on the Turkey Day Marathon this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZnKM9LwfRM

Starts at 12PM ET on 11/26

6 CLASSIC EPISODES
Savory cinematic turkeys and cheesy b-movies: roasted, carved & served hot, all day long!

A SIDE OF FRESH FAN MAIL
Taste the love in every bite, as we share new fan mail and art during the marathon and on social media.

PLEASANT CONVERSATION
Join Joel Hodgson, Mystery Science Theater 3000 and your fellow MSTies, LIVE on Twitter and Facebook. Tag your messages with #BringBackMST3K!

The marathon will be running on two platforms this year: Pluto TV and Yahoo Screen. Pluto TV will run the broadcast as a livestream, while Yahoo will have a different version of the marathon available on-demand, so that you can watch whenever you want.

Here's a detailed list of how you can watch on various devices:
Spoiler:

COMPUTER / WEB
• Right here at BringBackMST3K.com
• On Yahoo: https://screen.yahoo.com/mst3k

APPLE iOS DEVICES
• Pluto TV App, Channel 428: http://apple.co/1kHz6Mh
• Yahoo App: http://apple.co/1MoXzPv

ANDROID DEVICES
• Pluto TV App, Channel 428: http://bit.ly/google-plutotv
• Yahoo App: http://bit.ly/google-yahooTV

AMAZON DEVICES
• Pluto TV App, Channel 545: http:///1HaTU98

AMAZON FIRE TV
• Pluto TV App, Channel 545
• Yahoo

APPLE TV
• Yahoo

ANDROID TV

CHROMECAST
• Yahoo

ROKU
• Yahoo

SAMSUNG TV, SONY TV, TIVO, VIZIO
• Yahoo

XBOX 360, XBOX ONE:
• Yahoo
Old 11-23-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Joel announced the new mad (Felicia Day) and the voices of Tom and Crow (Baron Vaughn and Hampton Yount) and a stretch goal if the campaign hits $2.75 million by the end of day Thursday, backers above $35 get three more classic episodes as free downloads.

But what excites me is if the campaign hits $3.3 million by the end of the Turkey Day marathon on Thursday:

"Then, if we can reach $3.3M – our second goal – before the Turkey Day '15 Marathon ends, we've got a much bigger bonus reward for you… and it's something that a lot of you have been asking for!

I don't want to get ahead of myself, so I'll tell you about that challenge in another update this week. Hardcore MSTies, I'll just give you a little hint: if you help us make the newest episodes of MST3K, you might just get to see the oldest episodes of MST3K."

A lot of people are thinking this means an official release of the KTMA episodes. They're widely available online, except for the first three, which have never been circulated. That would be awesome.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.