Reload this Page >

Apathy Towards Lack of Extras?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 07-15-09, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

In the last few months almost every DVD I have rented has been a bare-bones version of the film.

I took out Valkyrie, The Wrestler, Day the Earth Stood Still, Bolt, Taken etc. All of them had no extras or a very minimal amount.

It would depend on the particular film but for the most part I found I really don't miss the extras all that much.

I've noticed there really haven't been very many irrate members in the forum raising a stink about this either.

Have they lost some of their appeal over the years?
Old 07-15-09, 06:35 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Re: Apathy Towards Lack of Extras?

it's not that, it is that they are talked about in length in those particular dvd threads you mentioned. rental versions are usually movie only now.
Old 07-15-09, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless it is a movie I am really really into like Ironman or Green Lantern for example then I will shell out the monies for a 2 discer with all the frills. Beyond that, the movie by itself will do just fine!

Take care all!!
Old 07-15-09, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They've lost their appeal for me. I used to enjoying watching them, but now I just don't care. There's only so many time you can put a new spin on the same old information.
Old 07-15-09, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most extras are so typical they're rarely interesting. I bought the DVD of "I Am Legend" and couldn't have cared less that there weren't extras.

That said, if there's a barebones and a 2-disc, I always pick the 2-disc. Go figure.
Old 07-15-09, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
They've lost their appeal for me. I used to enjoying watching them, but now I just don't care. There's only so many time you can put a new spin on the same old information.
Exactly the same here for me. I always used to watch the bonus material but it just got so repetitive that I can't stand it any more.
Old 07-15-09, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I almost never watch bonus features anymore. I might check out the deleted scenes on movies I really enjoy. If it's a historical movie and the features include documentaries on the real events I'll watch those. I lost interest in making of, behind the scenes, gag reels and the like long ago. Commentaries are even worse though, I can't remember the last time I listened to one of those that wasn't Rifftrax. I realized some time ago that most of them are boring, and I've got enough unwatched movies I can spend time watching rather than waste time hearing everyone involved in the movie talk about how much they like each other.
Old 07-15-09, 08:31 PM

I do notice 3 of the 5 movies you mentioned are FOX and that you rented them. FOX has started a policy to create bare-bones rental editions of their movies. That is the edition that you most likely rented and explains the absences of extras.

I'm not a big fan of special features. I very rarely watch anything beyond the deleted scenes as I would just rather watch another movie/tv show with the time. Despite never watching it, I always upgrade when a new edition with more features comes out. I really have no idea why.

Last edited by Corey31; 07-18-09 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-15-09, 08:49 PM
Banned

I seldom watch the extras or listen to the commentary track but would like to see more "Making of:" featurettes and deleted scenes. The stuff many movies include today, if they include anything at all, is severely lacking, to say the least.
Old 07-15-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
Same here. Takes up too much of my time. I used to sit there watching them all saying to myself "once I finish this, I can go watch the next dvd" and then I have a huge backlog of stuff to watch. I can't keep up, got burnt out, and stopped caring.

I'll still watch any Family Guy/Simpsons/South Park commentary or extras. Same for any Star Wars, fantasy, or sci-fi "making of" feature, but I don't need to watch "the ambush" on "24" season 7.
Old 07-15-09, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wvtechs
I seldom watch the extras or listen to the commentary track but would like to see more "Making of:" featurettes and deleted scenes. The stuff many movies include today, if they include anything at all, is severely lacking, to say the least.
Same here. With a few exceptions, most actors/directors don't have 2 hours worth of interesting stuff to say about a film. I'd rather have a good 20 minute Making Of.
Old 07-15-09, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,021 Posts

A really good Star Wars or Star Trek extra is always welcome, but I've also noticed I just don't care much anymore for most movies. The exception to that is always deleted scenes, and by extension of that, extended cuts.
Old 07-15-09, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I can't stand bonus features much anymore. Nearly every featurette is a talking-head, "aren't we great piece." I still enjoy commentary tracks, but hardly get excited about them. I still look forward to solid releases of really good films though (i.e. the big Blade Runner set a few years back)
Old 07-15-09, 11:30 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I thought I read Fox was taking the extras off their DVD rental copies too. I have been renting the Blu ray versions and frequently enjoy the extras.
Old 07-16-09, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

For the most part I agree with most here. Most of the releases these days have really shitty features. I still really enjoy commentaries quite a bit and they are just about the only feature I care about anymore. Deleted scenes and the like are cool but I really have to like the movie to enjoy them.
Old 07-16-09, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like deleted scenes and trailers. I think a studio should always include these things, because they don't cost any money to produce. They exist, so put them on. I rarely have much interest in featurettes, though, unless they're specific. They're all EPK-quality these days for the most part.

Generally, I find DVDs that would be in some way retrospective are more interesting than new movies.
Old 07-16-09, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

The last good example of a loaded DVD I really enjoyed was the Criterion Collection Dazed & Confused.

It's a one of my favorite movies and the retro-spect interviews are genuinely interesting. The actors candidly talk about how Universal mis-marketed the film. Other actors talk about how they weren't cut out for the acting business or how they had these huge expectations for their careers after the movie was released only to realize they're in a tough business full of disappointment.

It's refreshing from the usual positive, studio-friendly interviews where everyone's blowing sunshine up each others' asses.

Kevin Smith's informal interview with Bruce Willis on the Live Free or Die Hard DVD was interesting as well.
Old 07-16-09, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

It depends. I think for example the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition DVD's had some of the best behind the scenes documentaries. I think they ran roughly 2-2 1/2 hours a piece and were really well produced and informative.

I do agree that this 10-15 minute EPK's do get repetitive and boring.

I think the problem is that there is so little time in the day and it's kind of a chore to watch a 2-2 1/2 hour movie and then attempt to watch another 2 1/2 hour making of documentary while there are other things that need to be done that are more important.

If I own a DVD, I will attempt to watch the bonus material if the movie interests me enough to do so. If I rent it, most likely I won't watch the extras due to lack of time.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-16-09 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-16-09, 06:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Finally watched the special feature, The History of MST3K, on a recent MST3K set, and thought it was great. But yes, many standard studio special features are fairly lame. Many commentary tracks turn out to be quite good, although many are painfully boring and full of empty space.
Old 07-16-09, 01:03 PM

A few series, like the previously-mentioned LOTR and Star Wars sets had great documentaries. I actually enjoyed Jaws' accompnaying doc more than the film.

Similarly, a few have great commentary tracks. Off the top of my head, I enjoyed the informative commentary tracks for Desperado, Mississipi Burning and Ocean's Eleven. However, too many are creators just saying how great everyone was - every actor, camera operator, decorator, you name it.

As I get older (wife, kids, house, job etc) I have less and less time for movies, so unless the contents are truly great (like the above highlights) then I'd rather have a bare-bones release. Hell, with young kids I'm lucky to get to see a movie any more.

Do you folks find that the poor quality of recent extras (Quantum of Solace, I'm looking at you!), a lack of time, or both, is the issue for you?

Also, if a mediocre film has great extras, I'll consider picking it up - I may buy Catwoman and the two Fantastic Four movies for that reason. Do great extras earn buys from you, or is it strictly the film that forms your buying decisions?
Old 07-16-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk God

If a movie like Quantum of Solace had a good 1-2 hour documentary that covered the writing, production and post production process and not have people kissing each others ass, then I would gladly sit through it. I own the movie and yeah the 2-disc set sucks.

A movie like Gran Torino deserved something like that instead of 2 shitty EPK's about Cars.

But yeah, I think lack of time is also a factor, especially for rentals. If I have 3 rentals to watch, I'm more concerned about watching the movie than sitting through 45 minutes of deleted scenes and watching another 1 hour of EPK's.
Old 07-16-09, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy
I enjoy deleted scenes, alternate takes, outtakes, and trailers. But I've seen so many docs on how a film was made (whether an EPK or a better doc), I've really lost interest in them, for the most part.
I find that the older the film, the more the making of interests me. How Jaws, Star Wars or Casablanca came together fascinates me. For any newer movies, I agree with you - I just want the deleted scenes and trailers.
Old 07-16-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by outlander78
I find that the older the film, the more the making of interests me. How Jaws, Star Wars or Casablanca came together fascinates me. For any newer movies, I agree with you - I just want the deleted scenes and trailers.
I actually agree with you there.

The making of Superman, Godfather and the 2 hour Star Wars docs were fantastic.

I mean I actually learned on the Godfather documentary that Al Pacino was not the 1st choice for Michael Corleone. They showed audition footage of James Caan auditioning for the part along with Martin Sheen, which I thought was really cool.
Old 07-16-09, 03:25 PM

Now I have to go buy Godfather on DVD. Sigh.
Old 07-16-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 9 Disc Alien boxset is one of the best DVDs out there in terms of extras.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.