Print Wikipost

"Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-16, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: "Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium

Originally Posted by Trevor
I think David was perhaps pointing out a typo that completely changes your meaning. Maybe?
Whoops! Totally missed that. Fixed.

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I only read as far as him being open to almost anything before I stopped to send him a pm.

Then I read the rest of what he wrote and saw he probably was talking about movie challenges.

Still not sure why you're sad. :/

I like the challenges and if they stay the same, I'm still going to participate and host. But if the agreement is to add some or change things around, I don't see why that's a negative. *shrugs*
Old 09-14-16, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

I think we should do what's fun and not put limits on things or force challenges to fit a format.
Yes.

I may read through the above soon, but in the meantime... are we looping back to "change for change's sake"? Because IF so... let's not.
Old 09-14-16, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by LJG765
As a viewer, it's nice to have something to guide you to acclaimed films you may not have watched or even heard of before. As a host, it does increase the likelihood of multiple participants having seen a particular film and increases the chance for more involved discussion..
I like that... in theory. But in practice, I have limited funds, limited time and limited collection/library/avenues. I can't watch something I don't have (access to), so this becomes awkward.

The Horror Subset is excellent fun. A great idea. But I can't take part unless the choices are available to me*. Too much direction and structure can suck the enjoyment right of things... although "too much" is naturally subjective.

*I do like the drive to make sure most are accessible, but sans Netflix, I'm still often out of luck...
Old 09-14-16, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ntnon
I like that... in theory. But in practice, I have limited funds, limited time and limited collection/library/avenues. I can't watch something I don't have (access to), so this becomes awkward.

The Horror Subset is excellent fun. A great idea. But I can't take part unless the choices are available to me*. Too much direction and structure can suck the enjoyment right of things... although "too much" is naturally subjective.

*I do like the drive to make sure most are accessible, but sans Netflix, I'm still often out of luck...
That is a good point-accessibility. I know that it was mentioned that this would all be optional and the viewer could do the challenge the "old" way. This would just be in addition to help foster discussion, from my understanding.

So if you couldn't find something, that would be ok to.

(Do you have a local library nearby? I have great luck with mine especially for challenges like the Criterion).
Old 09-14-16, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

It's true that some people participate merely to tackle the unfinished pile in a targeted way and aren't looking for new acquisitions.

Whoops! Totally missed that. Fixed.

Still not sure why you're sad. :/
I think Golden was just making an off-color joke.
Old 09-14-16, 10:01 PM

I'm pretty confident that no Challenge can ever come close to what we have in Horror...

Personal opinion, but even if horror and Halloween didn't exist, and two Chads worked their butts off to run any other Challenge, it wouldn't be too much better than what we already have. Other genres just don't lead themselves to the level of immersion that Halloween gets.
Mildly-flippant reply to this bit (which you even touch on briefly in the next - unquoted - paragraph):

SO WHAT?

Does it matter intrinsically that Other Challenges are not as popular, not as comment-y, not as supported? If only two people participate and have fun, that should be seen as a Good Thing.

If the Challenges were little more than (focused) 'what are you watching' discussions.... again: So What? We watch, we list, we (may) talk. It's cathartic, cameraderie, challenging. It lends focus. It allows for flexibility. It helds guide, allows for discussion, venting and reviewing. Must there be a greater purpose? Even if there is hope for Bigger Things; the absence of hoardes and lengthy conversations doesn't brand things disappointing without us first being disappointed. And there's no reason for that in the face of loose focus, guiding genres, lists and interactions.
Old 09-14-16, 10:09 PM

..in order to encompass pretty much every film, to have at least one Challenge cover everything in our collections, made it necessary to broaden categories and have several of these newer Challenges be perhaps too diluted.
Counter: broadness is inclusive. Dilution is diversity.

A smaller specific set of qualifying media is going to increase the chances of multiple people watching the same items and having something to talk about.
A smaller set is repetitive. (See upthread anti-Criterion comments.) It disenfranchises people without access, and in an extreme case may suggest that one is not part of the group-proper if they are not watching the same thing..

Do we need subsets and themes for every Challenge? Probably, but I think we need to do even more..
That (may) move it from "Challenge" to "Chore". A rush to tick boxes, rather than watch what we want. I tend not to have much time to comment. Less to do the checklists (which I miss). And trying to make time for either leaves me no time to watch anything!

Some have time. Some have great(er) collections and a dozen online options. Others do not. To be welcoming and inclusive is to allow the Haves to exist alongside the Have Nots.
Old 09-14-16, 10:15 PM

So is it even good to have these expansive multiple genre covering Challenges? By their very nature, and the fact that our forum is small, we're going to have 40 people watching 40 different things most of the time.
SO WHAT?

And, more helpfully: GOOD! In addition to discussing the same thing, how helpful (if expensive) it can be to see someone recommend/enjoy an unknown entity. To think that someone with such otherwise good and similar taste might make an unseen film seem a more sensible purchase than before. If we all watch the same thing, and agree (or not), that's discussion. But it's limited and terminal. If we watch things "together" and apart - that we can watch together later - that's more community building than anything!

(And why do we even have a TV Challenge? I know it's popular, but...
"But"?! Right after lamenting that no challenge will be as popular as Horror, you put a "but" after "I know it's pppular"?!
Old 09-14-16, 10:50 PM

...keep the basic structure, but then encourage innovation and a less broad theme within each monthly Challenge.
There it is. Seconded.

Best of both worlds - nothing changes... unless you want it to.
Old 09-14-16, 10:59 PM

(Do you have a local library nearby? I have great luck with mine especially for challenges like the Criterion).
Yes, and quite a reasonable, friendly one. But with a VERY limited range. Criterion was what I tried to get from them first, and they have ten.* I have seen all them - most through the library! - and own five or six of the ten. Overall, their range of films is... limited. I think I went through the Horror "people" lists a couple of years ago and found four or five out of the hundreds of possibilities** (and half of those were Milla Jovovich films, two of which weren't even horror!)...

*Plus, I imagine, several laserdisc-only films like Dr. No and Ghostbusters.

**In fairness, many of the names were bafflingly obscure and/or foreign.
Old 09-14-16, 11:51 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I was confused by a couple of the exchanges but I did get a feeling that at least one person wants things to stay relatively the same and there is some suggestions to consider changes that are not too extreme (being extremely general here). I would suggest that February does lend itself to a mini Romance Challenge and there is some room to discuss adding a Drama challenge concurrently with the Criterion Challenge. Having said that, I know that at least one objection to a mini Romance Challenge was made (the shortness of the time leading to some frustration) and there is not a prevailing interest in adding any new challenges right now. I voted against it because I thought it was moving too fast, I think it would be very helpful for people to weigh in on these two suggestions, including especially if I have their positions improperly summarized.

I do think that one idea worth exploring is the idea of some suggestion of certain movies to watch at certain days, or maybe a movie to watch each week to promote some similarity in what we watch. Start very slow, maybe only allow movies that are on YouTube so everyone can participate if they are interested. Just something to think about.
Old 09-14-16, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, and quite a reasonable, friendly one. But with a VERY limited range. Criterion was what I tried to get from them first, and they have ten.* I have seen all them - most through the library! - and own five or six of the ten. Overall, their range of films is... limited. I think I went through the Horror "people" lists a couple of years ago and found four or five out of the hundreds of possibilities** (and half of those were Milla Jovovich films, two of which weren't even horror!)...

*Plus, I imagine, several laserdisc-only films like Dr. No and Ghostbusters.

**In fairness, many of the names were bafflingly obscure and/or foreign.
D'oh. My local library is tiny and has a pretty good selection for the size, but what I utilize is their online catalog which connects most of the libraries on my side of the state. I place an order, usually within a few days, I get an email and it's in. The popular stuff has a wait list, but you do get on it that way as well. They also are able to try to hunt something down outside of the network but that is only half successful. I find that between the two means I can order about 90-95% of what I am interested in watching.
Old 09-15-16, 06:58 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Nton, just a quick observation before I have more time later, but a lot of your above seems like you think there should be little difference between the Challenges and the "what are you watching" threads. I definitely agree with inclusivity, I've been hammered here before for pushing it, but think we need to differentiate a bit between the two types of threads.

I now see that it appears you pretty much agree with my conclusion, but you know, what's the Internet for if you can't debate back and forth on little points. More later.
Old 09-15-16, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

So I ran the Oscar Challenge last year and while it's certainly not the Horror Challenge, I think there's a pretty active core group of folks who participate every year. Are there things we can do to boost participation? I'm sure. It's a rather broad Challenge so we can do daily categories or something to that effect if folks are willing. Horror is not my thing so I've never even peeked at their threads but I guess now I'll take a gander to see where all the fun has been happening.

Though I participate in other challenges I don't discuss quite as much. As someone pointed out, by the time the Challenge rolls around I've figured out what I am going to watch and I just run with it. whereas with the Oscar Challenge, someone might post thoughts on a film I wasn't interested in or hadn't heard of and I might try to track it down based on the recommendation and engage in a discussion. I figured that's the point of the Challenge.

If the goal is to create and foster community then I think we should find ways to sure up participation in the existing challenges. If there's a consensus that a particular Challenge just isn't working, then we can try something different. if on the other hand we're trying to fill the calendar then we can do that too.
Old 09-15-16, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I think it might help if we all sort of start at the beginning and deconstruct/talk through the whole Challenge process. Well, perhaps none of you need or want to do that, but I think it'll help me as I lay out my verbose thoughts and ideas, please indulge me. Why do we have them, what purposes do they serve? This is our description from post one of this thread back in 2009:

A DVDTalk Challenge is a community experience. Think of them as a way to bond with your fellow DVDTalkers over a common theme. We have a different theme Challenge pretty much every month. October, for example, is dedicated to Horror. The Horror Challenge is our oldest and largest Challenge, with 100 or more of us feasting on horror films and television. While one "goal" is to watch 100 films (or the TV show equivalent) during the month, most people don't get close to that amount and everyone who participates is a "winner". The main fun is generally not in getting obscene numbers, but in these two factors:

talking horror with all of us in the discussion threads all month
exposing yourself to new things by working on the optional checklist and daily themes

You participate in the Challenges however you choose, there is no "right way" or "wrong way". You don't have to start on the 1st, you don't have to do the checklists, you don't have to watch more than one item all month. Just come hang out with us in the discussion threads, commit yourself to the genre(s) of the month, and have fun.
I think we all agree that the main goal of community building is still there, right?
Sorry, but to me the main point of challenges is in the last two words of that quote: "have fun." If I'm enjoying what I'm watching, and the other participants are having fun, then it's a good challenge. You may agree that "the discussion thread must supersede the individual's enjoyment as a viewer", but to me that's just nuts.
I'm pretty confident that no Challenge can ever come close to what we have in Horror. The combination of the unique aspects of Horror and our Saint Chad, makes those results non-reproducible. Horror content and October are just a perfect fit, and the genre fans are most likely unique in their binge-worthiness. October is horror, not just at this DVDTalk forum, but nationwide.
So what's best for the number of Challenges? We grew from Horror to include Holiday and Academy Award. These three are probably still the best fit for the concept. They revolve around set dates, a holiday or ceremony, and involve TV content being easily attainable and a sort of worldwide participation already built-in, if you will. The other Challenges probably sprung because of our love of these first three, the fact that by nature we have a lot of film consumers/binge watchers here, and the desire to maintain the conversation we so enjoy in the Challenge threads year round.
By your own description, since people are going to watch those genres anyway, Horror and Holiday are nothing more than "what are you watching this month" threads.

Having one Challenge going year round, and having them diverse enough to cover almost every film, seemed like perfect symmetry. I was probably the main proponent for us to keep increasing them until we got to this 'perfect' twelve. But in order to encompass pretty much every film, to have at least one Challenge cover everything in our collections, made it necessary to broaden categories and have several of these newer Challenges be perhaps too diluted.
I never felt that was done in order to "encompass pretty much every film," but to make the challenges more open to different people with different tastes in film.
A smaller specific set of qualifying media is going to increase the chances of multiple people watching the same items and having something to talk about. If everyone watches their own things, it's harder for the community building take place. We might as well just be posting in our blogs or Facebook, or using DVDTalk's "what are you watching?" threads.
Everyone watching the same "approved" films doesn't sound too fun to me. Add to that a "requirement" to post your thoughts on the movies, and it turns into a homework assignment instead of a fun diversion.
Even the horror Challenge had this problem but defeated it by creating the checklist and the daily themes and the daily subset films. These steps substantially increased interaction and, imho, greatly increase individuals enjoyment of the Challenge.

Do we need subsets and themes for every Challenge? Probably, but I think we need to do even more.
The Comedy Challenge has theme nights and a checklist, but only a few people were interested in them.
So is it even good to have these expansive multiple genre covering Challenges? By their very nature, and the fact that our forum is small, we're going to have 40 people watching 40 different things most of the time.
Why do you say that like it's a bad thing?
Perhaps we need to go away from these expansive genres and create smaller focused Challenges that can't help but have more shared viewings?

This would bring into play Mister Peepers suggestion that Challenges be less official but just have people decide on a concept and start their own whenever. We could have multiple or even zero Challenges going on at a specific time. Anyone could start a Challenge whenever, if people don't join in it'll just fade away.
So, in order to build the community, we need to divide the community first?
A potentially great idea from Travis is to have six set-in-stone Challenges and then six variable ones where we have voting to decide on themes a little less broad than "comedy" or "TV" or "action etc etc".
So instead of a broad challenge like "Horror" every October, we should narrow that down to "Japanese Ghost Movies," or "Mummy Movies."
Or, keep the 12 existing Challenges to satisfy the people who like tradition and want a Challenge to cover everything in their collection, but then also have several (or even 12) variable challenges to cover the missing genres, and over more focused challenges. This would also help the people who don't watch horror, for example, have another option in October.

Or, and I think this is my preference, but to sort of combine the two extremes. One extreme would be keeping everything basically the same, and another extreme would be encouraging even more Challenges and "letting" people start new ones and/or having different Challenges running concurrently.
Again, let's divide the community in order to build the community.

So here's my proposal: we could keep the basic structure, but then encourage innovation and a less broad theme within each monthly Challenge.

Take Comedy November for example. Instead of keeping it broad, we would use the month before planning stages of the discussion thread to work out a narrow theme. Maybe something like the icheckmovies top 50 comedies list. But, in the Challenge's "rules", it would continue to allow any type of comedy for the traditionalists and anyone who doesn't want to participate in the chosen narrower focus.
People are already free to do this, and already do, by choosing what they watch based on personal interests, availability, etc.

I kind of like meeting in the middle-instead of 6 changed challenges, maybe start with 3 and see how it goes? If the majority of hosts/participants don't agree, I think having double challenges would work too, especially if they somehow coincide with the current challenge. Drama and Criterion seem to be a good match, as is a short Romance challenge during February. I also think May would be a good one to have two as the MYOC is so flexible.
I just want to point out that because the MYOC is so flexible, adding another challenge to May is superfluous. Whatever the second challenge is will most likely already qualify for the MYOC. It would be like someone deciding to start a separate challenge in October just for Korean Horror movies, or something similar.
Does it matter intrinsically that Other Challenges are not as popular, not as comment-y, not as supported? If only two people participate and have fun, that should be seen as a Good Thing.
This. Suddenly enjoying yourself is a bad thing around here. No wonder we can't get more people to join in.
If the Challenges were little more than (focused) 'what are you watching' discussions.... again: So What? We watch, we list, we (may) talk. It's cathartic, cameraderie, challenging. It lends focus. It allows for flexibility. It helds guide, allows for discussion, venting and reviewing. Must there be a greater purpose? Even if there is hope for Bigger Things; the absence of hoardes and lengthy conversations doesn't brand things disappointing without us first being disappointed. And there's no reason for that in the face of loose focus, guiding genres, lists and interactions.
Counter: broadness is inclusive. Dilution is diversity.

A smaller set is repetitive. (See upthread anti-Criterion comments.) It disenfranchises people without access, and in an extreme case may suggest that one is not part of the group-proper if they are not watching the same thing..

That (may) move it from "Challenge" to "Chore". A rush to tick boxes, rather than watch what we want. I tend not to have much time to comment. Less to do the checklists (which I miss). And trying to make time for either leaves me no time to watch anything!

Some have time. Some have great(er) collections and a dozen online options. Others do not. To be welcoming and inclusive is to allow the Haves to exist alongside the Have Nots.
SO WHAT?

And, more helpfully: GOOD! In addition to discussing the same thing, how helpful (if expensive) it can be to see someone recommend/enjoy an unknown entity. To think that someone with such otherwise good and similar taste might make an unseen film seem a more sensible purchase than before. If we all watch the same thing, and agree (or not), that's discussion. But it's limited and terminal. If we watch things "together" and apart - that we can watch together later - that's more community building than anything!
Once again, you said what I wanted to say better than I could.
Old 09-15-16, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
So I ran the Oscar Challenge last year and while it's certainly not the Horror Challenge, I think there's a pretty active core group of folks who participate every year. Are there things we can do to boost participation? I'm sure. It's a rather broad Challenge so we can do daily categories or something to that effect if folks are willing. Horror is not my thing so I've never even peeked at their threads but I guess now I'll take a gander to see where all the fun has been happening.
I don't participate because I'd be re-watching movies. For most challenges, I'm trying to watch my unwatched stuff and the only exception to that would be if I'm in the mood to complete a checklist but I haven't bothered with that for a few years. I've also just never cared about the Academy Awards or other movie awards in general.

I kind of like themes and thought about doing them in past challenges I've run but I would have done a theme week instead of theme night. When every night in a month is a different theme, it just seems so rushed and if you want to partake, you have to keep up each night. With a week, there's no rush, it feels more casual, and I can have a relaxed fun time.
Old 09-15-16, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
It's true that some people participate merely to tackle the unfinished pile in a targeted way and aren't looking for new acquisitions.
That's me. The first couple of years I'd do checklists and strive for 100% completion. Then I found I was watching some the the same films over every year just for a checklist item. I stopped doing them. I also am not generally looking for new acquisitions but almost *always* purchase a couple of new films due to what others are watching. And those come from discussion, not looking over the lists.
I don't participate because I'd be re-watching movies. For most challenges, I'm trying to watch my unwatched stuff and the only exception to that would be if I'm in the mood to complete a checklist but I haven't bothered with that for a few years. I've also just never cared about the Academy Awards or other movie awards in general.
I feel the same about the Academy Award *and* the Criterion challenges. Both feel limiting due to the theme and I just don't care enough to bother.
I kind of like themes and thought about doing them in past challenges I've run but I would have done a theme week instead of theme night. When every night in a month is a different theme, it just seems so rushed and if you want to partake, you have to keep up each night. With a week, there's no rush, it feels more casual, and I can have a relaxed fun time.
I tried "theme night" in the Horror Challenge a couple of years ago but hit so many walls - film not available for or expensive to purchase, requires a subscription to stream, just doesn't sound "interesting" or isn't within my taste in films - that I've not done it again.

When it comes to the challenges I'd just rather watch what I want with the only direction being the challenge "theme" and then talk about it in the threads. All the other stuff *can* be fun but it's generally not my thing.
Old 09-15-16, 12:38 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

The theme nights and subset movies are my favorite parts of the Horror challenge. It helps keep me focused on the challenge, and encourages me to try new movies.

Theme weeks sound good. Also add a subset movie that everyone can watch/discuss that week. If you wanted to add more flexibility, just run the theme from Mon-Fri and let the weekends be open.

Maybe that would solve the problem with the History challenge. I think someone mentioned they wanted it limited to War/Western. Week 1 - World War II, Week 2 - Spaghetti Westerns, Week 3 - Vietnam War, Week 4 - Classic Westerns. Then everyone that wanted to follow the themes would be doing War/Western movies. And everyone that wanted to ignore the themes could watch Mad Men.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 09-15-16 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-15-16, 01:27 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
< snip>
Darn Dimension X, you figured me out. My only goal all these years was to take the fun away.
Old 09-15-16, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Maybe that would solve the problem with the History challenge. I think someone mentioned they wanted it limited to War/Western. Week 1 - World War II, Week 2 - Spaghetti Westerns, Week 3 - Vietnam War, Week 4 - Classic Westerns. Then everyone that wanted to follow the themes would be doing War/Western movies. And everyone that wanted to ignore the themes could watch Mad Men.
I'd follow this theme. I'd be like a bunch of mini challenges related to the main one and I wouldn't get burned out on any single topic.
Old 09-15-16, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Darn Dimension X, you figured me out. My only goal all these years was to take the fun away.
You give me way too much credit. I would have never guessed it was your goal "all these years." It really seems like you've changed almost overnight. Well, good job there, I suppose.

I'm going to miss the old, easygoing, fun-loving Trevor (even if he was only a false front). Oh well, just another nail in the ol' DVD Talk coffin.
Old 09-15-16, 09:09 PM

D'oh. My local library is tiny and has a pretty good selection for the size, but what I utilize is their online catalog which connects most of the libraries on my side of the state..
Yep... that's the Criterion holdings of, so they say, the entirety of Central Mississippi.

I think we can also do out-of-area special ordering, but at a cost (unknown) and with a considerable delay. Which may be useful in a general sense, but not as straightforward..
Old 09-15-16, 09:22 PM

Nton, just a quick observation before I have more time later, but a lot of your above seems like you think there should be little difference between the Challenges and the "what are you watching" threads.
Ummmmmm.... possibly.

I don't really know, because broadly - as mentioned - time barely allows me to skim the surface, meaning that I haven't the time for them, but my impression of how I see the initial differences between the two is in their PURPOSE.

i.e. largely in their focus on a particular grouping/genre of content.

The more major difference, I'd posit, is that a WAYW? thread is (seen as? IS?) more of a personal announcement - an individualized list post; discussion&comment allowed but not necessarily needed or invited. In essence, I assume that it's general purpose aligns most closely with a Challenge LIST thread, and not a Challenge DISCUSSION thread.

Thus, the major difference - as I see it in theory, without much comparative experience - is that the Challenges one-up generalised "watching" threads in two ways: focus, recommendation, etc. on the one hand and INVITING discussion (rather than merely allowing it) on the other.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But it seems one is more personal, for reading/ignoring by third parties and the other is inclusive and deliberately geared to being collaborative.

I definitely agree with inclusivity, I've been hammered here before for pushing it, but think we need to differentiate a bit between the two types of threads.
I think that differentiation is already inherent in the system...

I now see that it appears you pretty much agree with my conclusion, but you know, what's the Internet for if you can't debate back and forth on little points. More later.
Exactly. Ultimately, my ppsition is simple (allegedly): Change, but change mostly by adding and certainly NOT just because things can be changed.
Old 09-15-16, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by orlmac
I was confused by a couple of the exchanges but I did get a feeling that at least one person wants things to stay relatively the same and there is some suggestions to consider changes that are not too extreme (being extremely general here).
If that's a shorthand of me, then I'm less "everything stays the same" than ANTI-"Change Everything!" Which I think is a vital difference, even if it winds up summarising similarly.

I would suggest that February does lend itself to a mini Romance Challenge and there is some room to discuss adding a Drama challenge concurrently with the Criterion Challenge... I voted against it because I thought it was moving too fast..
Agreed.

And collaborative MYOCs.
And genre weeks within Oscars.

I do think that one idea worth exploring is the idea of some suggestion of certain movies to watch at certain days, or maybe a movie to watch each week to promote some similarity in what we watch..
Never a bad idea, but does rather add duties/time on the Hosts. So, what do HOSTS only think of greater efforr/focus at the front end? Including checklists, but also beyond checklists?

As a participant, I did/do like the differently-focused days of October and November.
Old 09-15-16, 09:54 PM

[Oscars is] a rather broad Challenge so we can do daily categories or something to that effect if folks are willing.
That draws out an interesting side-point - considering the desires/thoughts of the "core group" (i.e. the half dozen commenting there and here) vs. the possibility of guessing what desires/thoughts might expand said group.

Realistically, one involves ASKING, the other theory and guesswork...

Though I participate in other challenges I don't discuss quite as much. As someone pointed out, by the time the Challenge rolls around I've figured out what I am going to watch and I just run with it...
Ditto, citing time rather than watchlist.

..whereas with the Oscar Challenge, someone might post thoughts on a film I wasn't interested in or hadn't heard of and I might try to track it down based on the recommendation and engage in a discussion. I figured that's the point of the Challenge.
Exactly. Discussion leads to recommendation & discovery.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.