DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Hide Wikipost
Old 09-20-16, 10:15 AM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: "Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Trevor
DVDTalk Challenge Schedule

Month
Month-long Challenge
Partial Month Challenge
JanuaryTVvarying Academy Award
Februarynonevarying Academy Award; quadrennial Leap Day
MarchAction/Adventure/Crime/Mysteryvarying Academy Award
AprilDrive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie/Cultnone
MayMake-Your-Ownnone
JuneHistorical Appreciationnone
JulySci-Fi/Fantasynone
AugustAnimationnone
SeptemberCriterionnone
OctoberHorrornone
NovemberComedyHoliday starts week of Thanksgiving
DecemberHolidaynone

Print Wikipost

Old 09-15-16, 09:54 PM   #876

Re: "Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntnon View Post
If that's a shorthand of me, then I'm less "everything stays the same" than ANTI-"Change Everything!" Which I think is a vital difference, even if it winds up summarising similarly. ...
Never a bad idea, but does rather add duties/time on the Hosts. So, what do HOSTS only think of greater efforr/focus at the front end? Including checklists, but also beyond checklists?

As a participant, I did/do like the differently-focused days of October and November.
Sorry, it's too late here for me to figure out multi-quotes even with the help I was given. But just a couple of comments, thank you for correcting my summarization. I knew that I was being extremely general so I appreciate the enhancement on my effort. Second, I agree that this would mean more time for hosts that I have no right to suggest. What I should have added is that I think that the participants could suggest movies (including with where they are available) and suggest them to the hosts. The hosts are definitely already putting in a lot of work on these Challenges. The participants that are interested in helping should definitely help with some of the heavy lifting, which also helps meet some of Trevor's goals and I believe also addresses some of your concerns.
Academy Awards Challenge2011,2012,2013
Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Challenge 2012,2013
Old 09-15-16, 10:06 PM   #877
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimension X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
If only two people participate and have fun, that should be seen as a Good Thing.
This. Suddenly enjoying yourself is a bad thing around here. No wonder we can't get more people to join in.
I will also add that, with reference to comments, discussion, participation and recommendation, I get more out of Person X saying "I liked this film" after enjoying other things I've seen/enjoyed, than Person Y going in-depth about why they enjoyed something.

To clarify and elaborate on that - I like BOTH. I enjoy, appreciate and try to digest a well-written (or poorly-written*) critique/write-up. But I feel as much kinship for the briefer comments that part me with my money in greater security.

For instance, very brief comments in Criterion have pushed "Silent Ozu" up my Must Buy in November list.

*I think - i.e. know personally, extrapolate freely - that some antipathy towards commentry/discussion stems from feelings of concern that we might not seem as intelligent or knowledgable as others do. I can think up things to write, but in writing them down and reading them back tend to fear that they seem insignificant and pointless - particularly when compared to some others' focused and interesting thoughts. If all I have to say about a Film is "I liked it," even after just saying that those comments are helpful to me when written by others, I sometimes feel that it just doesn't add anything. (Moreso in October, where unknowledgable me is facing down a well-versed crowd of apparent experts..)
Old 09-15-16, 10:09 PM   #878
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlmac View Post
I agree that this would mean more time for hosts that I have no right to suggest. What I should have added is that I think that the participants could suggest movies (including with where they are available) and suggest them to the hosts...
Oh, absolutely. So-called "crowd sourcing" seems like a necessity in inspiring participation - having input directly also fosters the ethereal sense of community and belonging.
Old 09-15-16, 10:16 PM   #879
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimension X View Post
Everyone watching the same "approved" films doesn't sound too fun to me. Add to that a "requirement" to post your thoughts on the movies, and it turns into a homework assignment instead of a fun diversion...

The Comedy Challenge has theme nights and a checklist, but only a few people were interested in them..
Forgot to comment on these two points. Firstly, I certainly agree with the suggestion that requirements/suggestions can easily tip over into becoming a chore rather than fun. Secondly, the theme nights & checklists broadly provide this function anyway. Thirdly, personally, I have a GREAT interest in the (horror/comedy) theme nights and checklist... just not the time to see that interest become reality.

Last year, it took several weeks of on-off planning to try and work out a horror schedule that would get me watching what I had on the 'right' nights. Which, while "homework" was also an ENJOYABLE CHALLENGE. But... time did what time does, and plans fall by the wayside. By November, my days were busier and I just didn't have the time to even try to do the same.

However, November... 2014(?), I had a particularly great time matching choices to days and remember that enhancing my enjoyment of the month many times over.
Old 09-15-16, 10:22 PM   #880
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi View Post
I don't participate because I'd be re-watching movies. For most challenges, I'm trying to watch my unwatched stuff...
Exactly. It's vital to remember that there are different reasons and approaches.

I like re-watching things - but I prefer to watch new things, in the forlorn hope that one day I can catch-up...! ;)

Quote:
I kind of like themes and thought about doing them in past challenges I've run but I would have done a theme week instead of theme night. When every night in a month is a different theme, it just seems so rushed and if you want to partake, you have to keep up each night. With a week, there's no rush, it feels more casual, and I can have a relaxed fun time.
Right. And getting busy/behind throws everything off...

While that's "part of the Challenge" (particularly in October), it can also be punishing and difficult... or completely impossible. For instance, a whole week in October is going to be so packed for me that I doubt I'll watch anything for five+ days. Which means some goals are necessarily unattainable, even if I can stay awake to try (and I often can't).
Old 09-15-16, 10:24 PM   #881
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I also am not generally looking for new acquisitions but almost *always* purchase a couple of new films due to what others are watching. And those come from discussion, not looking over the lists.
Yes. Here, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I tried "theme night" in the Horror Challenge a couple of years ago but hit so many walls - film not available for or expensive to purchase, requires a subscription to stream, just doesn't sound "interesting" or isn't within my taste in films - that I've not done it again.
Agreed, but:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
The theme nights and subset movies are my favorite parts of the Horror challenge. It helps keep me focused on the challenge, and encourages me to try new movies.
Agreed a bit more!
Old 09-16-16, 12:06 AM   #882
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
... like a bunch of mini challenges related to the main one and I wouldn't get burned out on any single topic.
That's another reason a week of Romance within (and without) Oscars seems like a good idea: short enough that there's an end in sight and that it doesn't get old. But long enough for a good dozen(+) films.
Old 09-19-16, 09:42 AM   #883
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I think I'm finally caught up on all the links for the Challenge history in the first few posts of this thread. Not everything is in tables yet, but plan to do that eventually.
Old 09-19-16, 11:51 AM   #884
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
The theme nights and subset movies are my favorite parts of the Horror challenge. It helps keep me focused on the challenge, and encourages me to try new movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntnon View Post
Agreed a bit more!
I agree as well but I use the discussions for those to possibly pick up something new that falls within my general interests. It's one of those things that I've been alive long enough to *absolutely know* I do *not* care for certain sub-genres or types so I now just avoid them. Those subsets have too much that's outside my interest areas for me to try for completion so I don't bother, though I still follow the discussions and contribute on films I've seen.
Old 11-08-16, 10:51 PM   #885

pacaway's challenge participation list...

2017: History | MYOC: Remembering Bill Paxton | DriveIn | Oscars
2016: Comedy | Horror | Criterion | Animation | Sci-Fi/Fantasy | History | MYOC: The Full Monty | Drive In/B-Movie
2015: Horror | Criterion | Sci-Fi/Fantasy | History | MYOC: One Degree of Gyllenhaal | Drive In/B-Movie | Action | Oscars | TV
2014: Comedy | Horror | Criterion | Animation | Sci-Fi/Fantasy | MYOC: Floor & Drawer | Drive In/B-Movie | Action | Oscars | TV
2013: Comedy | Horror | Criterion | Animation | Sci-Fi/Fantasy | MYOC: My Month With Marilyn! | Drive In/B-Movie

Last edited by pacaway; 06-04-17 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-03-17, 07:09 AM   #886
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I second the vote for Lisa. And I remember there being talk of officially starting the Challenge with the announcement of the nominations. I vote for that option.
Old 01-03-17, 07:16 AM   #887
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As I posted in last year's Oscar thread, I'm happy to host this year's Challenge. The nominees are announced on the 24th and the telecast is February 26th. If no one else wants to host, I'll start a discussion thread next week.
Old 01-03-17, 04:17 PM   #888
DVD Talk Hero

LISA-DORIS [clap clap clapclapclap]
LISA-DORIS [clap clap clapclapclap]

[/chant]
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 01-04-17, 01:49 PM   #889
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
I second the vote for Lisa. And I remember there being talk of officially starting the Challenge with the announcement of the nominations. I vote for that option.
I'll third it! Though, I don't care when it starts...I probably wouldn't start until after the TV on DVD challenge ends. But I don't care if others would want to start with the announcement either.
July Sci-fi/Fantasy 2016; Aug. Animation 2016; Sept. Criterion 2016; Oct. Horror 2012; Nov. Comedy 2016; Holiday 2016; Jan. TV on DVD* 2017; Feb. Academy Awards 2017; Feb. Quadrennial Leap Day 2016; Mar. Action/Adv/Crime/Mystery 2017; May MYOC 2017; June Historical Appreciation 2014
Old 01-04-17, 04:02 PM   #890

I like the announcement to show dates.
Old 02-17-17, 12:43 PM   #891
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are you planning to run next month's A/A/C/M Challenge, Trevor? I'm only asking, as it is only a little over a week till the beginning of the Challenge, and no thread had been posted.
Old 02-19-17, 03:49 PM   #892

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
Are you planning to run next month's A/A/C/M Challenge, Trevor? I'm only asking, as it is only a little over a week till the beginning of the Challenge, and no thread had been posted.
Doh! Totally missed this bump (DVDTalk new post notifications seem wonky lately), and almost forgot about this Challenge again. Thanks shado.

Discussion thread
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/63...ch-2017-a.html

List thread
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/63...ch-2017-a.html
Old 03-27-17, 11:08 AM   #893
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just a heads up for those subscribing, The Drive-in/Exploitation challenge is active.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/63...30-2017-a.html
Old 05-20-17, 06:11 AM   #894

Any new-to-Challenge-running volunteers for the June Historical Appreciation Challenge?
Old 05-23-17, 02:23 PM   #895
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hate to see this one die out. I'm available to run this one.
Old 05-23-17, 02:48 PM   #896

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
Hate to see this one die out. I'm available to run this one.
Sweet, thanks Malcolm!
Old 06-11-17, 11:20 PM   #897

Is anyone doing the science fiction challenge this year? Really don't want to see this end but I have very little time so won't be able to run it.
August Animation Challenges:2013; 2012; 2011
October Horror Movie Challenges: 2012; 2011; 2010; 2009; 2008; 2007
Old 06-11-17, 11:22 PM   #898
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellebelle View Post
Is anyone doing the science fiction challenge this year? Really don't want to see this end but I have very little time so won't be able to run it.
Yup. I run that one and the animation one, for the last few years at least. I will put the threads up closer to the end of the month. Those two are my favorites.
Old 06-13-17, 01:31 PM   #899
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG765 View Post
Yup. I run that one and the animation one, for the last few years at least. I will put the threads up closer to the end of the month. Those two are my favorites.
Looking forward to the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge!
Old 06-13-17, 07:52 PM   #900
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn View Post
Looking forward to the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge!
So am I! I'll get the threads up about a week or so before the first.
July Sci-fi/Fantasy 2016; Aug. Animation 2016; Sept. Criterion 2016; Oct. Horror 2012; Nov. Comedy 2016; Holiday 2016; Jan. TV on DVD* 2017; Feb. Academy Awards 2017; Feb. Quadrennial Leap Day 2016; Mar. Action/Adv/Crime/Mystery 2017; May MYOC 2017; June Historical Appreciation 2014