Wiki lost in the forum update
Print Wikipost

"Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium

Old 11-30-11, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: "Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium

If nobody else wants to step in and host the TV Challenge, I can run a simple one in the same format as last year. Of corse, this would be a great opportunity for someone that's considered hosting one to get their feet wet.
Old 12-01-11, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so there is noy going to be a foreign movie challenge? It had been mentioned for a few years and nothing. :-(
Old 12-01-11, 11:16 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
so there is noy going to be a foreign movie challenge? It had been mentioned for a few years and nothing. :-(
We've had it for the last 3 years now! It's every September and we call it the Criterion Challenge.
Old 12-01-11, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
We've had it for the last 3 years now! It's every September and we call it the Criterion Challenge.
so you can watch any foreign film doesn't matter if criterion released it or not? If so I've been missing the boat. unless you are being funny then I appologize. I'm tired.
Old 12-01-11, 02:58 PM

so you can watch any foreign film doesn't matter if criterion released it or not? If so I've been missing the boat. unless you are being funny then I appologize. I'm tired.
Just a joke attempt.

But one reason against, or at least quirk, about a potential Foreign Language Challenge is that this is a multi-national website. "Foreign Language" is just so incredibly broad. And there would be less cohesion among the participants, as what qualifies for you may not qualify for me.

Seems more appropriate for a personal thing in the Make-Your-Own-Challenge Challenge each May, perhaps?
Old 12-02-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Just a joke attempt.

But one reason against, or at least quirk, about a potential Foreign Language Challenge is that this is a multi-national website. "Foreign Language" is just so incredibly broad. And there would be less cohesion among the participants, as what qualifies for you may not qualify for me.

Seems more appropriate for a personal thing in the Make-Your-Own-Challenge Challenge each May, perhaps?
Both good points by Trevor.

I also think a non-English-language challenge would have relatively light participation, perhaps not enough to justify the work it takes to run a challenge (not that I've done it myself).
Old 12-02-11, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

So there is not going to be a foreign movie challenge? It had been mentioned for a few years and nothing. :-(
I've watched foreign movies for every challenge I've participated in so far. You realize, of course, that foreign filmmakers make:
TV shows
Oscar-nominated films
B-movies/exploitation
Historical films
Science fiction/fantasy
Animation
Criterion releases
Horror
Comedy
Holiday films,

...right?
Old 12-03-11, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

There is probably a Thanksgiving thread in Other, but I would rather post my annual note of thankfulness in a challenge thread. Given that we currently have ~9 active Challenge threads, I figured this one was most appropriate.

Even through bad times such as health issues, relationship woes, financial setbacks, and losing my father; I can easily stay positive thanks to my simple extreme appreciation of basics like living in a free country, air to breathe, and opposable thumbs. God has blessed more than ever this year, with a wonderful wife and stepdaughter. Change is hard for me, and Jen getting used to my OCD will make life difficult, but still fantastically perfect.

I've loved this forum for many years now, most of my "socializing" the past 14 years has been right here. I feel at home here, and am very thankful for all of you.

One of the things I love about this place is the willingness of people like Travis to share their struggles. Venting with you, laughing at and with you, learning about current news and issues, getting advice from you, and just generally "living with" you all is what makes me appreciate you all so much.

I hope and pray that things dramatically and quickly improve Travis, and that you come back here full strength. But if not, and no one else volunteers, I'll mediocrely host that Challenge for you for a year.

No spell check on Jen's computer, so please forgive the likely more errors than usual.

Back to making 6 layer dip and watching the Macy's parade. Talk with you later friends.
Love the message by Trevor, and that it's in the challenge thread. Trevor, I first thought of you as "the guy who looks like Tony Shalhoub and won't pay more than $XX for anything." But when I started dipping into the challenges last year, it was really you and MinLShaw who kept me from getting intimidated by reinforcing the community aspect of them, and how the challenges were really for ourselves rather than a competition.

I also appreciate how people are willing to share what they're going through--I know MinLShaw thought we were kidding at one point when we said we were interested, but we really were. I know both of you have gone through some big things this year, and I love Trevor's "everything I need in life I get from DVD Talk" philosophy. We're here and willing to support you.

DVD Talk is a great place, and it's the people who make it that way.
Old 12-04-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I've watched foreign movies for every challenge I've participated in so far. You realize, of course, that foreign filmmakers make:
TV shows
Oscar-nominated films
B-movies/exploitation
Historical films
Science fiction/fantasy
Animation
Criterion releases
Horror
Comedy
Holiday films,

...right?
That's nice for you and so have I but that has nothing to do with my question. Foreign filmmakers make movies in Hollywood too, I don't quite see your point. foreign filmmakers doesn't necessarily mean foreign film. Last I check Campanella has made plenty of movies in hollywood, doesn't mean they are all foreign. I was asking because it has been brought up in the past. I'm not an idiot.

Last edited by BuddhaWake; 12-04-11 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-04-11, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the point he was making was that there isn't that big of a demand for a foreign challenge and if someone really wants to watch foreign films, they could do it during any of the other challenges.
Old 12-13-11, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since we're getting close and nobody else has jumped in, I started up the TV challenge

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/59...st-thread.html

Some minor changes that can be reversed when our original host comes back
Old 12-13-11, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I think the point he was making was that there isn't that big of a demand for a foreign challenge and if someone really wants to watch foreign films, they could do it during any of the other challenges.
Exactly.
Old 01-31-12, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Just curious. Since February is a short month, when should we look for the Action/Adventure thread being posted?
Old 01-31-12, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who's even running it?

I also see talk of a Dramedy that was going to run in February.
Old 01-31-12, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Just curious. Since February is a short month, when should we look for the Action/Adventure thread being posted?
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Who's even running it?

I also see talk of a Dramedy that was going to run in February.
I don't think either of these ever got off the ground. They were discussed in 2010 (if not before) and no one ran with it.
Old 01-31-12, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Currently doing the Oscar challenge most of February. Doesn't look like a contest was done in February or March last year.
Old 01-31-12, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I do remember talk of Action/Adventure. Dramedy seems on the narrow side.
Old 01-31-12, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Action/Adventure is listed on the table on the OP as a Challenge in March
Old 01-31-12, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I nominate shadokitty to run it since they brought it up
Old 01-31-12, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If no one else steps up, I would be willing to run it.
Old 01-31-12, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
If no one else steps up, I would be willing to run it.
I thought that one was Trevor's baby (but I'm sure he'll gladly put it up for adoption).
Old 01-31-12, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I thought that one was Trevor's baby (but I'm sure he'll gladly put it up for adoption).
It's no problem, I'll gladly bow out in favor of Trevor, don't know if I really have the time to run a challenge anyways. I thought it was Trevor running it too, I was just thrown off by the nomination and people saying it never got off the ground.
Old 02-01-12, 02:59 PM

I think Dramedy was casually mentioned as a way to combine Comedy and Drama into one month and have every major genre covered by a Challenge. But then the Comedy Challenge happened, and was awesome, so I think Drama will remain left out. Most of them can be shoehorned into at least one of the other Challenges I imagine.

I planned to start the Action/Adventure/(Crime?/Noir?/Mystery?) thread next week, but feel free to chime in your thoughts on it here, especially on the title.
Old 02-01-12, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Everything Else Challenge? Not counting the Make Your Own Challenge, anything that doesn't fall into any of the other challenges is ok?
Old 02-01-12, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Dramedy was casually mentioned as a way to combine Comedy and Drama into one month and have every major genre covered by a Challenge. But then the Comedy Challenge happened, and was awesome, so I think Drama will remain left out. Most of them can be shoehorned into at least one of the other Challenges I imagine.

I planned to start the Action/Adventure/(Crime?/Noir?/Mystery?) thread next week, but feel free to chime in your thoughts on it here, especially on the title.
I would love a crime/noir/contemporary action challenge. Adventure opens it up to pirates, swashbucklers, Tarzan and jungle movies, treasure hunts, kung fu, and lots of genres covered in either the B-movie or Historical Challenges. If it was just crime (including spy, mystery, caper and police) and noir, that would be manageable without encroaching on too many other challenges. Action/Adventure would leave out a lot of police/crime/noir/mystery films that don't traffic in action. For instance, most of Bogart's films would fit into a Crime/noir challenge, but not an action/adventure challenge. A crime/noir challenge on the other hand would allow for a good quotient of DIE HARD/LETHAL WEAPON-type action films, because of the police angle, and many Seagal/Van Damme films, while keeping out RAMBO/EXPENDABLES-type films and supernatural blockbusters like LORD OF THE RINGS et al.

Whaddaya think?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.