Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ken Russell's THE MUSIC LOVERS - Universal Vault Contest

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-29-09, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've posted this info on a couple of other forums already so sorry for repeating myself, but I just want to get it out to as many people as possible...

MGM has a new "Unlock the Vault" sweepstakes contest on their website asking consumers which movies they would like to see on DVD. They have only about 20 movies listed and the majority are crap. But Ken Russell's THE MUSIC LOVERS (my most-wanted film on DVD for many years) is listed there! If you care anything about cinema, please go and vote! If you'd rather have trashy low-budget stuff like SLEEPAWAY CAMP 2 or BLOOD GAMES, that's available to vote for as well! Seeing THE MUSIC LOVERS on this contest finally gives me hope that this Ken Russell masterpiece will someday get a DVD release. Please help make it happen.

http://www.mgm.com/sweeps/

EDIT: For some reason I put Universal in the title of this thread instead of MGM. Duh. I've always known MGM owns this film so why I wrote Universal is beyond me.

Last edited by Jeff McKay; 04-29-09 at 01:21 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 04-29-09, 10:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Ken Russell's THE MUSIC LOVERS - Universal Vault Contest

I'd vote for 'The Music Lovers' - but it's 'The Boyfriend' that my number two Ken Russell film I'd most like to own ['The Devils' uncut being #1]
Old 04-29-09, 11:13 AM
Cool New Member

The Devils and The Boyfriend are part of the Warner Bros library via Turner....
Old 04-29-09, 12:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I know The Devils was in WB's hands but I never can tell what and how MGM's titles are distributed/owned.
Old 04-29-09, 12:28 PM

Done! And let's get a commentary on there.
Old 04-29-09, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
I know The Devils was in WB's hands but I never can tell what and how MGM's titles are distributed/owned.
A simple explanation (if I'm wrong, others can correct me):

Years ago, Ted Turner bought the MGM library up to 1986, except for the UA titles and AIP titles (and some others). Later, he sold off that library to Warners. That's why THE BOY FRIEND and SAVAGE MESSIAH (originally MGM films) are now with Warners.

MUSIC LOVERS and VALENTINO are still with MGM because they were UA titles and MGM held on to the UA library.

THE DEVILS and LISZTOMANIA were always Warner titles.
Old 04-29-09, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting that they give a format choice (free on-demand, pay download or DVD). Even if you are not interested in the films, I think it is good to delivery a message to the studios that we want proper disc releases of their "vault" titles. I think a lot of testing of the waters is going on between this and the Warner Archive burn on demand discs. Here's hoping they see enough demand to give at least some of these films proper releases.
Old 04-29-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll vote for this one and the heart-wrenching Ladybird, Ladybird and the amazing Prisoner of the Mountains. Indeed many of these films are complete drivel (look no further than 1991's Blood Games). But, of the list, Laws of Gravity, Static, A Doll's House, Ghost Town, Music Lovers and the two above stand out as more than worthwhile.
Old 04-30-09, 12:06 AM

I voted for The Music Lovers as well, but why is Sleepaway Camp 2 up there? I guess Anchor Bay lost the rights which were then returned to MGM? The Anchor Bay Sleepaway Camp box set as well as the individual Sleepaway Camp 2 release seem to be out of print so I guess that answers my question right there. And even if MGM does decide to put it out, I would assume that it would simply a bare bones release or, at the very most, a port of the old Anchor Bay disc. And Blood Games is awesome if like your cinema trashy and extra cheesy.
Old 04-30-09, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to see the MGM Midnite Movies line to continue and a vote for a fllm such as Sleepaway Camp 2 might send that message. That DVD brand saw the release of The Abominable Dr. Phibes and Tales from the Crypt. I admit that SC2 isn't high on my radar but I do love grade B horror flicks in general.
Old 04-30-09, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in!