Reload this Page >

Criterion Kurosawa's "Ran" DVD OOP, Blu Ray cancelled

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Criterion Kurosawa's "Ran" DVD OOP, Blu Ray cancelled

Old 04-02-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Criterion Kurosawa's "Ran" DVD OOP, Blu Ray cancelled

Well, too ease the sting how about something like "Seven Samurai" or "Throne of Blood" on Blu to replace "Ran"?
Old 04-02-09, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
Well, too ease the sting how about something like "Seven Samurai" or "Throne of Blood" on Blu to replace "Ran"?
It won't be either one of those (for now), but this was posted on Criterion's Twitter page:
Another late, great, color Kurosawa BLU-RAY is on its way—it hasn't been announced, but stay tuned!
Old 04-03-09, 06:37 PM

I have been meaning to pick up Ran and Kagemusha for quite awhile.
This news makes it an easy choice on which to get first.
Old 04-03-09, 09:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul1957
From Digital Bits:

Also today, we've learned a little more about Criterion's cancellation of Ran on Blu-ray, but just so you know this is NOT official, so it should be considered Rumor Mill-worthy. It seems that the U.S. home video release rights to the film are owned by Wellspring (who have released it on DVD in the past), the parent company of which is Genius Products, now 70% owned by The Weinstein Company. There have been industry rumors over the last year that Weinstein Co. is in some financial difficulty, so it's possible the Brothers want a better deal with Criterion (i.e. more or too much money) from Criterion to licence the title for Blu-ray. Hopefully, a deal of some kind will be struck soon, because (I'll say again) nobody would do better by this title in high-definition than Criterion. We are SO dying to see Kurosawa films in 1080p...
This is complete BS. The Weinsteins don't own 70% of Genius since February. I sent an email to Bill Hunt so he can correct the information. The story below may give a better view of the situation.

GNPR acquires 60% of Genius
New owner make take homevid unit private
By DIANE GARRETT

Genius Products, the troubled homevideo distributor majority owned by the Weinstein Co., now has a new majority owner.

GNPR Investments, an affiliate of investment firm Quadrant Management, has acquired 60% of the company. TWC now owns 15% of the company and Genius retains 25% of the company.

The new ownership is part of a restructuring of the homevid distributor, which was delisted by the OTCBB on Dec. 24. The company has renegotiated its distribution terms with TWC.

The company will also renegotiate existing agreements with vendors and content partners. Company may go private.

Under the new ownership by Quadrant, three of the company's directors appointed by TWC resigned and will be replaced with representatives from Quadrant.

TWC remains the biggest content partner for Genius, which also distributes discs from ESPN, Sesame Street, IFC and Animal Planet. The TWC deal will remain through 2010, with an option to extend until a year later.

Bob Weinstein said the new owners will allow him and his brother more time to concentrate on their movie slate.

"We look at this as an ongoing partnership and something that will grow in the future," he said.
So the most likely scenario here is that GNPR asked Criterion for more money for the rights to Ran or something along those lines. Criterion is probably now in the process of renegotiating the deal.
Old 04-09-09, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

this is why i hold on to things til the bitter end.
Old 04-09-09, 09:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cameron
this is why i hold on to things til the bitter end.
Old 04-18-09, 12:40 AM
Cool New Member

I just talked to a friend that works for criterion and they said this matter was fixed and Ran is back on and will be realeased in the fall as schedualed. they are also having special posters designed for it and its going to be released in a handful of theaters in the US with the release.
Old 04-18-09, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Demonmoon68
I just talked to a friend that works for criterion and they said this matter was fixed and Ran is back on and will be realeased in the fall as schedualed. they are also having special posters designed for it and its going to be released in a handful of theaters in the US with the release.
While I'll wait until I hear an actual announcement that this release is back on, I'll be THRILLED if that's the case...
Old 04-18-09, 03:03 AM

Picked up Ran on thursday evening. My next Criterion will
be either Kagemusha, High and Low, or Rashomon. Or perhaps
wait for a B2/G1 free sale and get em all.
Old 04-18-09, 07:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Demonmoon68
Hopefully this is the case although the theatrical release wasn't an issue, just the DVD/BD distribution rights.
Old 05-06-14, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Didn't want to start a new thread but for the L.A. folks up in here Cinefamily is showing this on Sunday with a Q&A with star Tatsuya Nakadai. They're having an encore presentation Monday night, as well. Both showings are presented in 35mm.

I'm tempted to go! I've never seen RAN before.

http://www.cinefamily.org/films/spec...#kurosawas-ran
Old 05-06-14, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I saw it in theaters back in the '80s. Great experience.
Old 05-06-14, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Didn't want to start a new thread but for the L.A. folks up in here Cinefamily is showing this on Sunday with a Q&A with star Tatsuya Nakadai. They're having an encore presentation Monday night, as well. Both showings are presented in 35mm.

I'm tempted to go! I've never seen RAN before.

http://www.cinefamily.org/films/spec...#kurosawas-ran
I'd love to be at the Q&A. Ran is a great movie.