Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"Still Waiting..."

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-09, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Still Waiting..."

Last edited by LosingMyMind; 03-22-14 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-09-09, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
re: "Still Waiting..."

For some strange reason, I really liked the first movie, so I'll probably rent this somewhere down the line.
Old 01-10-09, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it's gonna be terrible! Though I noticed that Chi McBride, Luis Guzman & Andy Milanokis are back in it. Though I could do without Andy, he's annoying!
Old 01-10-09, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The first one was quite underrated, if it wasn't for The 40 Year Old Virgin my favorite comedy of 2005. Ryan Reynolds gained my allegiance from this one as a morally ambiguous perv, and it's one of the only things I've ever appreciated Dane Cook for (if only for his Thunderdome reference).

However, even with Luis back I won't see it. I try not to acknowledge the fact that direct to video sequels happened.
Old 01-10-09, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Allana Ubach, Vanessa Lengies and Rob Benedict are also from Waiting. And IMDb lists Justin Long first, which seems suspect to me, since Long is busy doing theatrical features, but if that's true, then that's the majority of the cast right there.

I might give it a whirl, especially if I can get the original for cheap along with it. I wrote an early review on the boards at ComingSoon, and Rob McKittrick actually signed up for an account and posted on there thanking me for it, because he felt that the movie wouldn't receive many positive writeups and he was glad I was the first one.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 01-10-09 at 02:33 AM.
Old 01-10-09, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's been confirmed that Long cameos in a scene near the end.

I'm all in for the sequel, but I'm not feeling it'll be very good; especially if Lionsgate is going the direct-to-video route.

The original film cost only $3 million to make and made nearly $20 million just theatrically (before it cleaned house on DVD). I feel that at least warrants it somewhat of a theatrical release.
Old 01-10-09, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I'll probably give it a rent.
Old 01-10-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: "Still Waiting..."

Looking forward to this. Loved the first one. I actually was in an MCSE training class with Andy Milonakis back in '99 and all the people were like "why isn't this little kid in school right now?"
Old 01-10-09, 11:18 AM

Seems like a cashgrab for me. Straight to DVD sequels of popular movies seems to be becoming a big trend as people want to revisit familiar characters. At least this one kept most of the same cast so I may rent it.
Old 01-10-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matome
Looking forward to this. Loved the first one.
Old 01-10-09, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey31
Seems like a cashgrab for me. Straight to DVD sequels of popular movies seems to be becoming a big trend as people want to revisit familiar characters. At least this one kept most of the same cast so I may rent it.
I, for one, was hoping that when Pixar and Disney got married that would help end this trend. For those unaware of the connection, one of the conditions of that union is that the Pixar president gets final say over all releases, and he publicly announced his disdain for DTV sequels. Once the ones in the works were finished, I believe that Disney is not expected to continue the trend.

Spoiler:
...and I'll probably Redbox this one...
Old 01-10-09, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I, for one, was hoping that when Pixar and Disney got married that would help end this trend. For those unaware of the connection, one of the conditions of that union is that the Pixar president gets final say over all releases, and he publicly announced his disdain for DTV sequels. Once the ones in the works were finished, I believe that Disney is not expected to continue the trend.

Spoiler:
...and I'll probably Redbox this one...
Unfortunently the trend is in full force, by looking at the releases this month.

Behind Enemy Lines: Columbia
Boogeyman 3
Vacancy 2: The First Cut
Without A Paddle: Nature's Calling

and another 1 or 2 I'm forgetting.
Old 01-10-09, 01:15 PM

Even though I think it will suck I'm gonna give it try simply because I really liked the first one. Here's hoping!
Old 01-10-09, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Open Season 2
Old 01-10-09, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Big fan of the first one. I will most likely pick this up, probably a couple of weeks after release, when it drops in price.
Old 01-10-09, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Just for everyone's reference, I don't think it was intended as a DTV sequel, but Lionsgate switched owners. I doubt it was ever going to be big, but I don't think everyone went into it knowing that it was always going straight to DVD.
Old 01-10-09, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I liked the first one and just bought it a second time on Blu-ray. I don't have high hopes for the sequel but it definitely gets a rental.
Old 01-11-09, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
I think you're right. I know test screenings were held. The dvd certainly came out of nowhere.
Yeah...it's hard to imagine that Lionsgate thought they might have a smash on their hands with a starless sequel to a minor comedy from 2005 and/or them rolling it out in thousands of theaters, but I also definitely don't think everyone signed onto it knowing it was DTV material.
Old 01-11-09, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
It's been confirmed that Long cameos in a scene near the end.

I'm all in for the sequel, but I'm not feeling it'll be very good; especially if Lionsgate is going the direct-to-video route.

The original film cost only $3 million to make and made nearly $20 million just theatrically (before it cleaned house on DVD). I feel that at least warrants it somewhat of a theatrical release.
You have to understand that it really has less to do with the quality of the new film or the success of the first one. It comes down to the ability to market the film. Without a Ryan Reynolds or an Anna Faris to put on a poster, marketing is stuck trying to figure out how to sell it to a theatrical audience. They also know full well that the DVD release will kill because they can sell the "Waiting... brand" rather than the stars. This is easier to do with home video than theatrical, where screens can be valuable and if you don't knock it out the park on opening weekend, you lose your screens and the ability to make more money. With home video, you're on the new release wall for months.

So if you had a low cost movie that you weren't sure how to sell without names on the marquee, would you spend another $15-20 million on prints and advertising and hope to break even or bypass theatrical, minimize your advertising budget, and turn a profit first week? It's the reason you see so many direct to video movies now (produce a low budget Beethoven movie, schedule it to premiere on video, and start counting money). Direct to video also doesn't have the stigma that had years ago. With brands like American Pie, Land Before Time, Disney, and Species, and people like Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, Brad Pitt, and George Clooney all tied to direct to video product, it's become quite a source of revenue, so much so that most studios now have video premiere production wings.

And for those curious, as the guy who produced both the first and second Waiting... DVDs, I happen to think that the sequel is actually funnier than the original, but it's definitely in a Gremlins/Gremlins 2 kind of way.

(And all those involved knew there was definitely a high probability that this was going to bypass theatrical. Of course everyone hopes for a big theatrical release, but they also all know that 100 times as many people will see it on DVD than would ever be able to see it in a theater.)

Last edited by CliffStephenson; 01-11-09 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-12-09, 03:41 PM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TtbOw8Ut-JI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TtbOw8Ut-JI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Old 01-13-09, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Looks bad, but I'll give it a rent.
Old 01-13-09, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Maggie Lawson makes it a definite rental, but the reason I liked the original was because I worked in a restaurant and could relate with their hatred of the place, the customers and the manager. The original was a cool day in the life kind of comedy.

Now they are trying to save the restaurant and they have the cool manager in John Michael Higgins. Instead of being a movie I can kind of relate to its just another rip off of the Meatballs, Revenge of the Nerds, etc us vs the other guys movie formula used over and over in teen comedies.

From the trailer it looks pretty bad so hopefully it can be a dollar rental at the Redbox. That is about the most I want to spend.
Old 01-13-09, 01:12 PM

Okay this like one of those sequels that just copies things from the first one, like the very first thing in the trailer is a copy of the the thing between Ryan Reynolds and the underage girl. And the ending is like when the chick flashes her crotch to everyone.
Old 01-13-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Still Waiting... - $19.98 SRP – This straight-to-disc sequel follows the continuing adventures of the wait staff at Shenaniganz restaurant. Available in Unrated (90mins) and Rated (88mins) versions, features include:

* Anamorphic Widescreen
* English DD2.0 and DD5.1 Surround
* English and Spanish subtitles
* Audio Commentary with writer Rob McKittrick and producer Jeff Balis
* “Sloppy Seconds” featurette
* Deleted/extended scenes
* Gag reel

Watching the trailer, the main thing I don't like about it is that they have this kid trying to take over the Ryan Reynolds void by just aping Reynolds. They should have tried to lure the actor who played the newbie back (whose name currently escapes me) and had a whole different vibe.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 01-13-09 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-13-09, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Watching the trailer, the main thing I don't like about it is that they have this kid trying to take over the Ryan Reynolds void by just aping Reynolds. They should have tried to lure the actor who played the newbie back (whose name currently escapes me) and had a whole different vibe.
His name is John Francis Daley (you might remember him from Freaks And Geeks), and he is currently a cast member of the TV show "BONES", so he might have been too busy for a DTV flick...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.