Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary Edition ---> 4th quarter 2009 (rumor)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary Edition ---> 4th quarter 2009 (rumor)

Old 06-11-09, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary Edition ---> 4th quarter 2009 (rumor)

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
I don't believe this is official yet, but looking through our reservation list at FYE, this will get released on September 29th.

Take this with a grain of salt, though, since we haven't had the official announcement yet.
Good call...

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php...OME-VIDEO.html
Old 06-11-09, 04:46 AM
Suspended

So, does this have all the features the other releases had but with 4 more hours? I wasn't able to pick up the old 3 disc edition, so I'm unsure exactly what's on it. It looks like there's some audio supplements missing, but I don't think I'd have listened to them. The new stuff is better, too. But, with Blu-ray, there is really no reason it shouldn't be there (maybe it is?).

Also looks like the Academy Awards newsreel isn't on there.
Old 06-11-09, 11:31 AM
Banned

From IMDB:
"Seventy years after it was first released, MGM's enduring The Wizard of Oz is receiving yet another facelift. An expensive one. Warner Bros. Home Video, which owns the rights to the classic, said that it has rescanned the original Technicolor negatives using 8K resolution -- twice that of the most recent DVD release. (The Technicolor process required three black-and-white camera reels of film running simultaneously behind colored filters. Using a dye-transfer process, the images from each of the reels was printed with ink -- not developed -- onto celluloid. The new process combines the three images digitally.) The Blu-ray 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition of the movie, to be released on September 29, will carry a retail price of $84.99. A DVD version will cost $69.92. The package will include about four hours of new extras plus a digital copy as well as souvenirs, including a coffee-table book and a crystal watch."
Old 06-18-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...rd-of-oz2.html

Warner Home Video has announced a 70th Anniversary DVD release of the The Wizard of Oz for the 29th September. Retail will be $24.98. The film has been completely remastered and will include Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio for the first time, as well as the original Mono track. Extras will include a sing-along track, a Music and Effects track, an audio commentary, featurettes ("Wonderful Wizard of Oz: The Making of a Movie Classic", "Prettier Than Ever: The Restoration of Oz", "We Haven’t Really Met Properly", "The Art of Imagination: A Tribute to Oz", "Because of the Wonderful Things it Does: The Legacy of Oz"), outtakes and deleted scenes, Harold Arlen’s Home Movies, 3 Vault Shorts, a Wonderful Wizard of Oz Storybook, still galleries, 6 theatrical trailers, and more.

Also available from the 29th September will be DVD ($69.92) and Blu-ray ($84.99) releases of The Wizard of Oz: Ultimate Collector's Edition. These will include all of the above features, plus the following additional features ("Victor Fleming: Master Craftsman", "L. Frank Baum: The Man Behind the Curtain", "Celebrating Hollywood’s Biggest Little Stars", "The Dreamer of Oz [1990 TV special]", "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1910)", "The Wizard of Oz [1933]", "The Magic Cloak of Oz [1914]", "The Patchwork Girl of Oz [1914]", "The Wizard of Oz [1925 feature]"). On top of all that, you'll also get a Collectible and numbered 70th Anniversary Wizard of Oz watch with genuine crystals, a replica of the original film budget, a 52-page Behind the Curtain book, and a reproduction of the original 1939 campaign book. We've attached the official package artwork for each of the releases below:
Old 06-18-09, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aw, I was hoping they'd include all the episodes from Tales of the Wizard of Oz TV show from the 60's. Maybe, with this, someone will wake up and release this show. Now's the time!
Old 06-18-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Ahh. Mom loves this movie, and the parents just got an HDTV and a Blue Ray player, so that set looks like a pretty good gift. Of course, I am pretty sure that she hasnt even opened the 3 disc set I got her for christmas a couple of years ago.
Old 06-18-09, 11:00 AM

last weekend I was at B&N with a friend of mine who wanted to get the Wizzard of Oz for her grandmother. The employee looked it up on the computer and said the 70th anniversery'd be released in December.
Old 06-18-09, 02:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know what features are new to this release and which ones were not ported from previous releases?
Old 06-18-09, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jjcool
Ahh. Mom loves this movie, and the parents just got an HDTV and a Blue Ray player, so that set looks like a pretty good gift. Of course, I am pretty sure that she hasnt even opened the 3 disc set I got her for christmas a couple of years ago.
Congrations to your parents, I am sure your Mom will be delighted to see the Wizard of Oz in high defintion glory!
Old 06-18-09, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kristina
last weekend I was at B&N with a friend of mine who wanted to get the Wizzard of Oz for her grandmother. The employee looked it up on the computer and said the 70th anniversery'd be released in December.
I think most retailers were told a rumored date so they could start taking preorders. I noticed that at FYE they had signs up for preorders a few months back for this and GWTW and both said December 2009.
Old 07-25-09, 11:29 PM

Here's some good details on the set. Unsure if this will answer the "is everything carried over from the 3-disc set" question though.

http://www.thejudyroom.com/news-oz.html

I could do without the watch, but oh well.

Last edited by erlong; 07-25-09 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Added to the post.
Old 07-26-09, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by dx23
Does anyone know what features are new to this release and which ones were not ported from previous releases?

I used this link: http://www.hollywoodoutbreak.com/200...ctors-edition/

and compared the 3-disc I have with the details from the hollywoodoutbreak.com link above and everything appears to be carried over. I assume that the "Collector's Treasury - 1939 Promotional Portfolio" from the 3-disc is the "Reproduction of the original 1939 campaign book" in the 70th set, and the "Kodachrome Portfolio" from the 3-disc will be in the 52-page book that's in the 70th set.
Old 07-27-09, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both versions of this film will be coming out on 9/29/09...you can look at all the extras through Classicflix.com and just go into ALL ANNOUNCEMENTS and it's in the June section of the site. They have pictures of the sets as well.
Old 07-27-09, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll wait for the 75th Anniversary Edition

...you know it's gonna happen...
Old 07-28-09, 12:43 AM

I'd pay $60 for just The Dreamer Of Oz. I loved that movie growing up and the tape got eaten a few years ago.
Old 09-29-09, 11:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So the new edition has all the disc-based material from the 3-disc set and more, but it does not have any of the printed material carried over.

9 of the 10 pics that were in the 3-disc set are reproduced in part in the hardcover book in the new set, but they don't look as vibrant or colorful.

Also, the press books and ticket, etc. in the other packet in the 3-disc set are not reproduced or part of the campaign book or in the hardcover book in the new set.

On the plus side, if you lift up the hardcover book and budget reproduction in the new set, the 2 packets that contained all the printed material in the 3-disc set will lay side-by-side in the new box almost like they belong there. The lid even closes and everything!

When I die, somebody'll be really confused about what set I had. haha
Old 09-30-09, 12:16 AM

Any reviews of the SD DVD yet? I've seen Blu reviews out the wazoo (sorry about the rhyming,) but I'm too broke to get the required equipment (i.e. a decent HDTV)
Old 09-30-09, 12:25 AM

I couldn't find this mentioned elsewhere, so here goes. Wal-Mart is offering an exclusive 2-disc version of "The Wizard of Oz" for only $13, in which the second disc is actually disc THREE of the Ultimate Collector's Edition, including "The Dreamer of Oz." So for any DVD owners who own a previous set and/or just want the new transfer of "Wizard" and the "Dreamer" bonus film, this is an inexpensive way to accomplish that.
Old 09-30-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wahlers
On the plus side, if you lift up the hardcover book and budget reproduction in the new set, the 2 packets that contained all the printed material in the 3-disc set will lay side-by-side in the new box almost like they belong there. The lid even closes and everything!
This is nice to know. I have the three-disc also and am still on the fence about whether buying the new one is worth it for the new transfer and additional extras. The two-disc Wal-mart option described above sounds good, but seems like it would still be missing a few of the bonus features that have been added this time around.

The new set does look very nice though, and some of the prices that are floating around, like amazon's, are really pretty cheap considering how loaded it is.

Seems like the people that didn't buy the 2005 versions of this movie but held off for an HD version or an anniversary DVD really hit the jackpot with these releases. If I didn't own the movie already, or just had the old 1999 DVD (which was still pretty jam-packed for a single disc), I'd probably be picking my jaw up off the floor after reading all the bonus features on these editions.
Old 09-30-09, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Admonisher
I couldn't find this mentioned elsewhere, so here goes. Wal-Mart is offering an exclusive 2-disc version of "The Wizard of Oz" for only $13, in which the second disc is actually disc THREE of the Ultimate Collector's Edition, including "The Dreamer of Oz." So for any DVD owners who own a previous set and/or just want the new transfer of "Wizard" and the "Dreamer" bonus film, this is an inexpensive way to accomplish that.
Is the Wal-Mart one supposed to have a slipcover? The one I bought the other night doesn't, nor did any on the shelf. Also, WM's website shows a different one available, with different features.
Old 09-30-09, 10:48 AM

My Wal-Mart didn't have slipcases on any of their exclusive editions. And it's not on the website -- the 2-disc there appears to be the standard 2-disc.

If you already own the 3-disc version from years back, and you buy the new Wal-Mart exclusive 2-disc, it seems that the only special features you'll be missing are the 1914 bonus films "The Magic Cloak of Oz" and "The Patchwork Girl of Oz" (available elsewhere, I believe, although possibly not as good transfers) ... and, of course, the Digital Copy, assorted paraphernalia, and Blu-Ray exclusive six-hour doc "MGM: When The Lion Roars".
Old 09-30-09, 01:44 PM
Banned

Any caps to compare the old set with the new?
Old 09-30-09, 03:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The previous set also had "The Magic Cloak of Oz". I think the new set just found a longer and/or better print of it.

So if somebody didn't care about this or "The Patchwork Girl of Oz" or the memorabilia, they could upgrade with the Wal-Mart 2-disc.
Old 09-30-09, 04:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Any caps to compare the old set with the new?
check dvdbeaver
Old 10-01-09, 06:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dx23
check dvdbeaver

It says "The page cannot be found"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.