Reload this Page >

TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-20-09, 09:25 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry if this was posted before. I didn't see a thread when i searched. I know some of you are familiar with the 3 sets they are releasing in a short while, but i wasn't sure if you guys were aware of the rest of the sets. So , from the TCM website...

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group, the studio with the world’s largest film library, is beginning an exciting new partnership with the authority in classic film, Turner Classic Movies. The two companies – sister divisions of Time Warner – plan to introduce the TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection, starting in early 2009. The partners will release a collection of 60 top films in 15 themed groups. The films will be available on DVD and promoted on TCM, starting February 3 with the first of four waves.

The launch of the TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection stands as the largest-ever partnership between Warner Home Video and TCM. The initiative combines the strengths of the companies in serving both serious film buffs and a new generation of movie lovers. The TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection is meant to whet the appetite of a wide range of film fans, giving them an easy way to build a personal library of classic films.

For the TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection, Warner Home Video has selected some of the greatest American films from the past 85 years and grouped them by themes. The films are packaged in four-title sets with each set affordably priced at $27.92 SRP.

The first installments in the collection arrive February 3, 2009, with three genres timed to coincide with Valentine’s Day and the Oscar season. They are Romantic Dramas (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, A Streetcar Named Desire, Rebel Without a Cause, East of Eden); Romantic Comedies (A Philadelphia Story, Bringing Up Baby, Adam’s Rib, Woman of the Year); and Best Picture Winners (Casablanca, An American in Paris, Gigi, Mrs. Miniver).

The 12 films in these three debut sets have been honored with 32 Oscar® wins. Featured stars include James Stewart, Humphrey Bogart, James Dean, Paul Newman, Marlon Brando, Katharine Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Ingrid Bergman and Leslie Caron. The films are bundled in premium keepcase packaging.

Later in 2009, the TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection will grow to include many other genres, including musicals, westerns, war films, mysteries, science fiction, horror, holiday and family films. A complete listing is included below.

WAVE ONE -- Release Date: February 3, 2009
Pricing: $27.92 SRP

TCM Greatest Classics: Romantic Dramas
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
A Streetcar Named Desire
Rebel Without a Cause
East of Eden

TCM Greatest Classics: Best Picture Winners
Casablanca
An American in Paris
Gigi
Mrs. Miniver

TCM Greatest Classics: Romantic Comedies
A Philadelphia Story
Bringing Up Baby
Adam’s Rib
Woman of the Year

WAVE TWO -- Release Date: May 5, 2009

TCM Greatest Classics: Musicals
Singin’ in the Rain
Easter Parade
The Band Wagon
Meet Me in St. Louis

TCM Greatest Classics: Musicals 2
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Annie Get Your Gun
Show Boat
Kiss Me Kate

TCM Greatest Classics: Westerns
Jeremiah Johnson
Train Robbers
The Wild Bunch
McCabe & Mrs. Miller

TCM Greatest Classics: Westerns 2
The Searchers
Stagecoach
Rio Bravo
Cowboys

TCM Greatest Classics: War 1
Kelly’s Heroes
The Dirty Dozen
Where Eagles Dare
Battleground

TCM Greatest Classics: War 2
The Green Berets
Destination Tokyo
Battan
Back to Battan
they look to be only 19.99 on amazon. The romantic comedies, westerns and wars will be buys for me. This is of course, pending if the transfers are good. It seems with most multiple films, the transfers go to crap. So, hopefully TCM gets this right.
Old 01-22-09, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Re: TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection

If these are all two-disc sets, they could be two-sided discs with one movie per side. And if they do them like they did the Essential Classics a couple years ago, those were the same discs as their two-disc special editions (they usually said "Disc 1" etc.) so the transfers were just as good as the regular discs. They could do this as long as they don't do Gone with the Wind or Dr. Zhivago or anything else that stretches over two sides.
Old 01-22-09, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection

We need a proper McCabe and Mrs. Miller SE.