Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

New "American President" Transfer?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-02-08, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked this up at Target the other day as it is now packaged in an Amaray case, states that it is "enhanced for WS TVs" on the back, and lists 2008 as the copyright date for the package design and supplements. Different UPC too (new= 883929039982 old= 053939255027)

So is this really a new transfer? I haven't opened it yet for fear that it's the same as the original disc, which was letterboxed and not so hot.

Anyone know? Thanks!

Last edited by laserken; 11-02-08 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-02-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/45...il-18th-4.html

No, is the same non anamorphic transfer as the snapper case according to the thread above.
Old 11-02-08, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/45...il-18th-4.html

No, is the same non anamorphic transfer as the snapper case according to the thread above.
Thanks.

Actually, this appears to be different. The previous poster noticed the "enhanced" language on a slipcover and the snapper case read differently, plus the copyright was 2006. This is an Amaray case w/ no slipcover and says enhanced w/ 2008 date. I'm gonna call WHV; my
hunch is that this is indeed a new pressing.

edit: Amazon says this was released Tuesday, Oct. 28: http://www.amazon.com/American-Presi...5652727&sr=8-1

Last edited by laserken; 11-02-08 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-08-10, 07:37 AM

Re: New "American President" Transfer?

Does anyone out there know for sure if the current version of The American President is anamorphic?
Old 07-08-10, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

This movie has not been released anamorphic yet. No matter what the back of the case states. I've picked this up twice so far, each release promising "Enhanced for Widescreen" but both times it was same, shitty letterboxed, muddy image.

Waiting for Blu-Ray from now on.
Old 07-08-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this recorded on my DVR. It was on one of the premium HD channels a few months back. Looked pretty good. Hopefully that means a BD or a 16x9 DVD is headed our way.
Old 07-08-10, 09:23 PM

Thanks Valeyard, I have the original DVD release int he snapper case. I was giving serious thought to picking up the newer keepsake version, but what a let down!! I appreciate the info.

I was holding out for Blu as well, but for some reason I really want to watch this but not in letterboxed. I remember reading something about the movie supposed to be released on Blu this year, but so far I haven't seen any concrete news ... sigh.
Old 07-10-10, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by MoviePhanatic00
Thanks Valeyard, I have the original DVD release int he snapper case. I was giving serious thought to picking up the newer keepsake version, but what a let down!! I appreciate the info.

I was holding out for Blu as well, but for some reason I really want to watch this but not in letterboxed. I remember reading something about the movie supposed to be released on Blu this year, but so far I haven't seen any concrete news ... sigh.
I started this thread and can affirm after opening my "newer" version of TAP a few months ago - it's the same non-anamorphic transfer and should be avoided. I'm also in the "waiting for Blu" camp.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-10, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Bring on the Blu....
Old 07-10-10, 11:54 PM

Yep, unfortunately I fell for the misleading advertising when I picked this up at Costco a while ago. *sigh*
Old 01-25-11, 08:53 AM

On WBshop.com, there is a pre-order listed for a a four pack of White House movies, which includes the American President.

http://www.wbshop.com/4-Film-Favorit....html?cgid=PRE

The ratio is listed as 16x9 2.4:1. I don't understand this ration, could it possibly be the widescreen version we have all been waiting for?
Old 01-25-11, 10:31 AM

Doubtful. I wouldn't see why they would release a new transfer in a 4 film pack. Stranger things have happened though.

I'm still hoping a BR is coming out soon enough.
Old 01-25-11, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There have been some new transfers that have snuck into these 4 film packs, so it is possible. However, they've also gone backwards on a number of packs, so it's really anybody's guess. It might do well to remember that the last time Warner released this, it was mislabeled as anamorphic widescreen as well.

Last edited by mdnitoil; 01-25-11 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-26-11, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The page at the WB store lists My Fellow Americans as 4:3, same as the DVD currently in release. I would assume that all four films will have the same transfers that already exist.

--THX