Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Hellbound: Hellraiser II 20th Anniversary 12/30/08

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hellbound: Hellraiser II 20th Anniversary 12/30/08

From Shock Till You Drop, my favorite Hellraiser movie. I'll double dip.

20th Anniversary Hellbound Coming to DVD
Source:Anchor Bay Entertainment October 14, 2008

On December 30th, Anchor Bay Entertainment announced it will release the Hellbound: Hellraiser II 20th Anniversary Edition DVD.

The initial run of this presentation will include an official reproduction of the film’s original theatrical poster, and a selection of DVD extras including three brand new featurettes:

• Audio commentary with director Tony Randel, screenwriter Peter Atkins and actor Ashley Laurence
• Theatrical Trailers (4) and TV Spots (2)
• “The Soul Patrol” featurette – NEW interviews with Cenobite actors
• “Outside the Box” featurette – NEW interview with director Tony Randel
• “The Doctor is In” featurette – NEW interview with Kenneth Cranham
• “Under the Skin” featurette -- Doug Bradley on Hellbound: Hellraiser II
• “Lost in the Labyrinth” featurette
• On-set interview with Clive Barker
• On-set interviews with cast and crew
• Poster and stills gallery

Last edited by Paul1957; 10-15-08 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-15-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
hmm... i already own the lament cnfiguration box
Old 10-15-08, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool idea, as I only own the original barbones Anchor Bay Hellbound.
It seems funny to release an anniversary edition for a movie sequel, unless we're talking something special like The Godfather II or The Empire Strikes Back.
Old 10-15-08, 04:39 PM

I might double dip on this one, even though Hellbound is one of my least favorite Hellraiser movies.
Old 10-15-08, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Evil ASh
one of my least favorite Hellraiser movies.
Really? It's just as good as the original & one of the best sequels ever IMO....
I'm curious,Which one(s) do you prefer over this one?
Old 10-15-08, 04:47 PM

They had a huge reunion for this at a convention I went to last year....
They even filmed the Q&A,I'm surprised it's not on here....
I might pick this up,depends on how good the extras are....
Old 10-15-08, 05:01 PM

They were supposed to release Hellraiser on Blu-Ray this year. Still no news.

And now they're releasing the second one in a new SE. Bah.

When are they gonna get both out on Blu-Ray. I'd love to upgrade, but not to a new DVD.
Old 10-15-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Damn. I was getting comfortable with the THX Anchor Bay version I have.

Though those interviews make the purchase tempting, I might hold off on double-dipping.
Old 10-15-08, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Uncut?

Extras look okay. Cover art sucks.
Old 10-15-08, 06:35 PM

Keep in mind Walmart is still selling the 20th Anniversary Edition for the first Hellraiser for only $9.
Old 10-15-08, 07:38 PM

That might be true for some Walmarts but I haven't seen any at the few I checked!!!!
Old 10-16-08, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is it just me, but wouldn't it have made more sense to release it this month, when people are shopping for horror films?

I thought the same thing last year when both the Halloween remake and the Ultimate Edition of Evil Dead was released in December...
Old 10-16-08, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Is it just me, but wouldn't it have made more sense to release it this month, when people are shopping for horror films?

I thought the same thing last year when both the Halloween remake and the Ultimate Edition of Evil Dead was released in December...
Q5 is popular with studios because they think consumers will be loaded down with giftcards after the holidays. I usually am.
Old 10-16-08, 01:31 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by JarJarBinks
They were supposed to release Hellraiser on Blu-Ray this year. Still no news.

And now they're releasing the second one in a new SE. Bah.

When are they gonna get both out on Blu-Ray. I'd love to upgrade, but not to a new DVD.
I asked the Anchor bay guys about this at the last Monster Mania convention. The one guy (I forget his name) asked his coworker and he then kind of arrogantly that they were waiting for the remake to drop next year and then pointed to his head.

I then thanked them for bringing Heathers to Blu-ray and they told me about the limited locker set that had both the Blu and standard dvds. Which, I asked a little while ago in the Blu forum if anyone had heard anything of and then a few days later all the dvd sites came out with the locker set news.

So I am believing that the Blu-ray Hellraiser will come out to fully exploit the marketability of it's remake. And seeing how Anchor Bay has never let us down with their abundance of rereleases, I would take his word to the bank (So to say).
Old 10-16-08, 01:35 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468

Horror fans are very well known for being very loyal to their respective titles. Bigger titles like The Evil Dead, Halloween or Hellraiser can really be released at any time of year and they'll make Anchor Bay money.

Though it does make sense to release them around October, when I worked at Best Buy, I didn't see any more people coming in around this time and buying horror films than at any other time during the year. They only this would happen is when we would have a big circular sale. Other than that, it wasn't as though the horror titles were flying out of the door. And I worked at the Besy Buy in Monroeville PA, which is one of the larger Best Buy's in their whole company.

And as stated above, the "Holiday" seasons will push sales, not to mention the people wanting to spend their Christmas money/gift cards.
Old 10-16-08, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SPRBD
Q5 is popular with studios because they think consumers will be loaded down with giftcards after the holidays. I usually am.
Originally Posted by KatjaKassin
Horror fans are very well known for being very loyal to their respective titles. Bigger titles like The Evil Dead, Halloween or Hellraiser can really be released at any time of year and they'll make Anchor Bay money.

Though it does make sense to release them around October, when I worked at Best Buy, I didn't see any more people coming in around this time and buying horror films than at any other time during the year. They only this would happen is when we would have a big circular sale. Other than that, it wasn't as though the horror titles were flying out of the door. And I worked at the Besy Buy in Monroeville PA, which is one of the larger Best Buy's in their whole company.

And as stated above, the "Holiday" seasons will push sales, not to mention the people wanting to spend their Christmas money/gift cards.
Oh I understand that people have gift cards to burn after the holidays. I guess I'm just basing it on my experiences that:

1) While certain horror movies, I can watch all year round, I tend to only be on the lookout for others around this time frame, when I tend to watch them the most.

2) I've experienced the opposite, Katja, working at FYE. Usually, we have more people coming in specifically looking for horror titles than we do other times of the year. Hell, I think we've sold more copies of the remake of Prom Night so far this month than we did when it was first released.

Instead, I find we have copies of Christmas Vacation and A Christmas Story flying off the shelves during the holiday season over catalog horror titles.
Old 10-16-08, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Torchur317
Really? It's just as good as the original & one of the best sequels ever IMO....
I'm curious,Which one(s) do you prefer over this one?
I really like the original Hellraiser, but the sequel left me unsatisfied. There's a lot of problems with it in my opinion. Peter Atkins turned cenobites into usual movie monsters (Even more so in parts 3 and 4). I'm not going to list all complaints here, but believe me I have a lot.
I prefer 5 & 7 over 2. Ready to be stoned now.
Old 10-16-08, 09:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Uncut?

Extras look okay. Cover art sucks.
I would assume it would be uncut, nearly all video versions here in the states have been the uncut version. As for the extras, I'm glad that Anchor Bay didn't make the Lamentation UK Box set obsolete, Anchor Bay didn't include the second Director/writer commentary track - which is exclusive to said edition.

I would assume the trilogy as been seen in HiDef on MonstersHD. The first film is making it's hidef premier on HDNet Movies the beginning of next month.
Old 10-16-08, 10:03 AM

Hmm, I already have the OOP Limited Edition Hellraiser 1 & 2 tin from Anchor Bay. I may pick this up, but I passed on the Anniversary Edition for #1.
Old 10-16-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
I only own the version that came with the "Hellraiser" tin so I might be tempted to upgrade... however, I might be more tempted if this were released on Blu-ray as well. I'm a little surprised at Doug Bradley's lack of involvement in this release considering he's been in every Hellraiser movie.
Old 10-16-08, 12:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I only own the version that came with the "Hellraiser" tin so I might be tempted to upgrade... however, I might be more tempted if this were released on Blu-ray as well. I'm a little surprised at Doug Bradley's lack of involvement in this release considering he's been in every Hellraiser movie.
it didn't involve a paycheck
Old 11-05-08, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hellbound's my favorite Hellraiser movie, thanks to the dark imagery, the Channard character and Christopher Young's amazing score (which should have been included as a 5.1 isolated track, IMHO).
Old 11-05-08, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/926/926800p1.html

review of the new release.
Old 11-05-08, 11:40 AM

Hellbound is my favourite among Hellraiser series, but the only reason for me to buy this one would be a desire to collect all of them Anchor Bay collection releases... As I already have the Lament Box edition, I think I'd better wait for Hellbound on BD.