Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD Spot Shutting Down

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-08, 12:58 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pridesticks06
Same here. I may eventually get everything up on DVDAF, but for now I think I'm just going to take that Excel file and add onto it and do offline categorizing as my main for now on. Sucks.

Definitely sucks. I think I am going to do the same thing.
Old 10-01-08, 01:17 PM

Bah, was so happy I stumbled upon DVDSpot a few months ago. Fell in-love and was so happy, since nothing else out there comes close.

Now it's closing, and still nothing else comes close. DVDAF blows, and DVD Profiler is an offline Windows app. I want and need full online functionality, OS-agnostic.
Old 10-01-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Salo
Yeah, I have no idea either. I just remember when Ford was going to nix the Mustang, a bunch of people raised a stink and Ford revived the program.
I'm not sure that's an apt comparison.
Old 10-01-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kefrank
I downloaded Libra and played around with it last night. It has some quirks, but it's decent.

It uses Amazon as its database, so it pulls in Amazon images, which unfortunately, are not uniform (sometimes it's a 3d view of the case, sometimes the 2d front cover, sometimes there are discs coming out...etc). On the upside, it's easy to manually change the cover art that is displayed for an entry in your library.

The import function isn't perfect - I exported my DVDSpot collection to .csv and imported into Libra as plain text and it got about 180 of my ~200 titles. I think most of the ones it missed didn't have a UPC, are pretty rare, or are from region 2. I got started adding each title that the import missed and it went pretty smoothly. The region 2 titles are easy enough to add by selecting the Amazon UK database instead of Amazon US and I haven't run into any titles yet that don't exist in the database.

The included skins are all ugly in my opinion. Thankfully, the .xml files that define the skins are well-commented, making it extremely easy to make your own skin and customize the look. I like that a lot.

I really like the other modularity that they put into the program too...you can create tags and filter by the tags, you can enter free text custom information for each DVD, zoom the view of your library, etc. I haven't explored every one of the features, but I'm impressed with what I've seen so far.

The program crashed on me once, when I added the 300 HD DVD to my library, so stability might be an issue, but that's not too surprising, as I don't think it is even to version 1.0 yet.

All-in-all, this is a great application with a lot of potential that will only get better as the kinks get worked out.
I noticed it hasn't been updated in a year and the forum is pretty dead.
Old 10-01-08, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It sucks that the site is going away. But it is. For those interested in the statistics it offered, there is a plug-in available for DVD Profiler that supplies all the same stats and a whole lot more. I also heard rumors that there might be another plug-in soon to import DVD Spot collections so people don't have to start from scratch.
Old 10-01-08, 08:24 PM

Yeah, this sucks. I use DVDAF, but I liked all the stats that DVD Spot offered. It also helped me keep track of which DVDs I've watched and which I hadn't.
Old 10-01-08, 08:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I also heard rumors that there might be another plug-in soon to import DVD Spot collections so people don't have to start from scratch.
They better hurry.
Old 10-01-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm not reading through this entire thread for the answer, if the question was asked, so why are they closing down, other than the vague reason on the home page?
Old 10-02-08, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by The Infidel
I'm not reading through this entire thread for the answer, if the question was asked, so why are they closing down, other than the vague reason on the home page?
Nobody seems to know for sure other than it is some sort of big corporate decision. The creater of the site (Croy) who had sold it to CNET two years ago (and got a job with them I think as part of the deal). Other projects and responsibilites prevented him from doing much of the upkeep of the site. Fortunately he had some editors (volunteers) who saw to the daily maintenance of the database and monitoring of the submissions to the database.

I think CNET (or CBS their mother company) has more interest in bigger retail sites and couldn't be bothered by the site anymore.
Old 10-02-08, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
The founder of LibraryThing said in the new bulletpointreview.com forum (basicly the DVDSpot refugee forum) that he was trying to see if he could take DVDSpot over. I don't know how realistic that is or what kind of help he might need, but it could be a (small, dim) ray of hope.

http://http://www.bulletpointreview.....php?f=2&t=136
That would be nice. I also wish Google would create a DVD database similar to their Google Books ( http://books.google.com)

It appears Google gets their book info from Barnes & Noble, rather than Amazon. It would probably be easier to search DVD info from B&N since they list the UPC of their product.
Old 10-02-08, 08:30 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by klandersen
Nobody seems to know for sure other than it is some sort of big corporate decision.
I think CNET (or CBS their mother company) has more interest in bigger retail sites and couldn't be bothered by the site anymore.
I'm sure it was mainly a $ thing.

A site like DVDspot with all the bandwidth it used, must have cost thousands of $ per month. There are basically no ads, so the only income was referral links, which must have generated less $ than the monthly fees. I imagine.
Old 10-02-08, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by kefrank
I downloaded Libra and played around with it last night. It has some quirks, but it's decent.

It uses Amazon as its database, so it pulls in Amazon images, which unfortunately, are not uniform (sometimes it's a 3d view of the case, sometimes the 2d front cover, sometimes there are discs coming out...etc). On the upside, it's easy to manually change the cover art that is displayed for an entry in your library.

The import function isn't perfect - I exported my DVDSpot collection to .csv and imported into Libra as plain text and it got about 180 of my ~200 titles. I think most of the ones it missed didn't have a UPC, are pretty rare, or are from region 2. I got started adding each title that the import missed and it went pretty smoothly. The region 2 titles are easy enough to add by selecting the Amazon UK database instead of Amazon US and I haven't run into any titles yet that don't exist in the database.

The included skins are all ugly in my opinion. Thankfully, the .xml files that define the skins are well-commented, making it extremely easy to make your own skin and customize the look. I like that a lot.

I really like the other modularity that they put into the program too...you can create tags and filter by the tags, you can enter free text custom information for each DVD, zoom the view of your library, etc. I haven't explored every one of the features, but I'm impressed with what I've seen so far.

The program crashed on me once, when I added the 300 HD DVD to my library, so stability might be an issue, but that's not too surprising, as I don't think it is even to version 1.0 yet.

All-in-all, this is a great application with a lot of potential that will only get better as the kinks get worked out.
Thanks for the review kefrank. I'm hoping to check it out this weekend.

The comment about their forums being dead may change very quickly if a majority of us start using this to replace DVDSpot.
Old 10-02-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im going to stick with the excel format I guess. I left dvdaf for a reason. It would be like going back to an ex-girlfriend.

edit:
well after reading the last few pages it looks like
www.getlibra.com
www.chasingthefrog.com

Are 2 options.

And the winner is?????

Last edited by Jacoby Ellsbury; 10-02-08 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-02-08, 11:51 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I'm not sure that's an apt comparison.
Ah, you know what I mean.
Old 10-02-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had Collectorz for a few years, and I like it a lot. If anyone is looking for a standalone DVD collector database, I highly recommend it. And I can't get enough of that barcode scanner...
Old 10-02-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My webcam apparently isn't good enough for the barcode scanner.
Old 10-02-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kory
My webcam apparently isn't good enough for the barcode scanner.
I have the Flic handheld scanner that holds 500 or so titles, thus reducing the need to carry DVD's around the house. Can you scan barcodes with a webcam? Not familiar with that.
Old 10-02-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Libra program I thought advertised that you could scan the barcodes in, so you wouldn't have to type all that information over and over again, but I tried it and it was too blurry to read my barcode.
Old 10-02-08, 03:55 PM

I loved this site too and used it the most, guess its time to update my dvdaf
Old 10-02-08, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by rmick
I updated my DVDAf, but really hate the lack of custom organization that puts things in quite a different order than I have them on the shelf. Two Towers should not be after Return of the King. Damn you alphabet!
You can pretty easily overwrite the sort order on dvdaf, just go to one pager mode on a disc, click edit and then type whatever you want into the sort order box. it will alphabetize by whatever you type in there. Throw in the folder management and you can have it set up exactly like your shelves at home.
Old 10-02-08, 07:55 PM

Bye DVDSpot. You've been a good and fun tool. Wish you weren't going away.
Old 10-03-08, 07:48 AM

I used DVD Tracker for a few years until it went away. Was cheap ($10 year I think) and only showed really what I needed....title, price paid, release date and where I purchased. I didn't (and don't need) color photos of the DVD.

Now that DVD Spot is shutting down, I guess I'll have to update my title list with my Microsoft Works Word Processor. At least it is easily to update and printout.
Old 10-03-08, 08:05 AM

Looks like Bulletpointreview.com (DVDSpot Refuge Forum) has been suspended for overusage/non-payment...
Old 10-03-08, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by ParadiseVendors
You can pretty easily overwrite the sort order on dvdaf, just go to one pager mode on a disc, click edit and then type whatever you want into the sort order box. it will alphabetize by whatever you type in there. Throw in the folder management and you can have it set up exactly like your shelves at home.
Nice. Now, is there any way to easily sort my wishlist by release date rather than alphabetically?
Old 10-03-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a friend whose bf is working on the code to create a new site very similar to DVD Spot, only with more of the features members wanted to see. It's still under construction, but check out domodvd.com. Not sure when they'll have it up, but, hey, it's something to possibly look forward to, right?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.