Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What exactly are Anchor Bay's 'Cult Fiction' DVDs?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(if it matters, I searched the thread history before starting up this one)

I haven't been able to find an adequate description of just exactly what the 'Cult Fiction' DVDs are. Are they simply the same transfers repackaged and stripped of bonus features? I certainly don't plan on double-dipping, but I've considered picking up Fitzcarraldo.

Thanks.
Old 07-29-08, 04:50 AM

Seems like they are mostly the same release. I suggest getting Fitzcarraldo as part of the Herzog/Kinski set.

As for Cult Fiction, I dont remember all the releases, but I do remember Class of 84, Night of the Living Dorks, Fitzcarraldo, and a few others.
Old 07-29-08, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
they're the exact same releases with a "cult fiction" slip cover...they are numbered however so this may attract collectors of that sort of thing.
Old 07-29-08, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by drainout
As for Cult Fiction, I dont remember all the releases, but I do remember Class of 84, Night of the Living Dorks, Fitzcarraldo, and a few others.
Well the first time I noticed it was with The Wicker Man, thinking "this godawful packaging doesn't represent the film at all!" There's also The Quiet Earth, which is a total downgrade since the normal Anchor Bay DVD is a steelbook with audio commentary.

Fitzcarraldo is the only one that's a lot cheaper than the normal DVD. And, like The Wicker Man, the tattered grindhouse-looking artwork seems so laughably out of place!
Old 07-29-08, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
they're the exact same releases with a "cult fiction" slip cover...they are numbered however so this may attract collectors of that sort of thing.
I think Anchor Bay's days of producing valuable collectors' items is over (especially after the Starz merger). Their Evil Dead I & II "Book of the Dead" editions are massively overstocked. And hell, I recently sold my Evil Dead II numbered tin on Ebay & it only got one bid closing at $16. And they produced so many copies of the numbered editions of Suspiria and Opera that it took years for them to sell out & you can still find cheap used copies.
Old 07-29-08, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
And they produced so many copies of the numbered editions of Suspiria and Opera that it took years for them to sell out & you can still find cheap used copies.
Wait a minute - I treasure my copy of "The Stunt Man: Limited Edition". No one else has #13,505 out of #100,000.
Old 07-29-08, 10:56 AM

No one has number #14,000 through #100,000 either.
Old 08-08-08, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If anyone still cares...

I just picked up the 'Cult Fiction' Fitzcarraldo, and after sliding off the goofy cardboard slipcase, it's the exact same DVD as http://dvdspot.com/dvd.php?d=1310411649 , same UPC & everything. Methinks this 'Cult Fiction' series is a ploy to sell off overstocked Anchor Bay DVDs. But if you don't already own Fitzcarraldo, the 'Cult Fiction' retail price is $20 cheaper. Which isn't the case with most of the 'CF' series (the original version of CHUD is cheaper).