Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is "Lost" likely to be reissued when the show is finished?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that there are a few tv shows that have re-issued their DVDs in new box sets once the show itself has finished airing on television. I can't recall which shows have done it, but I think it has pissed some people off.

Anyway, does Buena Vista (or whoever puts out the Lost DVDs) generally do stuff like that? I'm wanting to get Lost on DVD, but I'm wondering if they'll come out with a super-cool box set in 2 years when the show is over. Are they known for doing that with their shows?
Old 09-17-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Internet is your friend...

I searched for "Lost" on DVDEmpire.com to confirm that the studio is Disney/Buena Vista. I then checked out all Disney/Buena Vista releases and sorted by price. The complete series of Alias is one of the only highest-priced items. Searching through the pages in reverse, it looks as if they don't yet have enough history with TV on DVD to say.
Old 09-17-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DVDude!

I searched for "Lost" on DVDEmpire.com to confirm that the studio is Disney/Buena Vista. I then checked out all Disney/Buena Vista releases and sorted by price. The complete series of Alias is one of the only highest-priced items. Searching through the pages in reverse, it looks as if they don't yet have enough history with TV on DVD to say.
You're absolutely right. My gut tells me that it will be re-issued in a complete series set, but it's just a gut feeling. Empirical evidence is light, here-- or, at least it seems so. Most of the shows I think of that are BV/Disney releases are still currently airing. Alias was the only exception I thought of off the top of my head. Obviously, there are others, but I can't think of 'em right now.
Old 09-17-08, 09:16 PM
Banned

It wouldn't surprised me. No matter what studios it is, they re-release assets like Lost as long as people keep buying it. Alias would be the perfect example of a series release individually by Buena Vista and then re-released as an entire collection when the series closed.
Old 09-17-08, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVDude!

Yeah, but this was easier. I like making you do the work for me.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-08, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know that really the only major TV show that Buena Vista rereleased as a complete series set was Alias, but my gut tells me that Lost will get the same treatment.
Old 09-17-08, 11:41 PM

Considering the rabid fan base that Lost has and the need for studios to milk as much money as they can out of said rabid fan base, I think it's a forgone conclusion that there will be some type of series set. I would be quite surprised if they didn't. Are there any really popular, well-selling TV series that have completed their run and NOT gotten a complete series set? I can't think of any off the top of my head...
Old 09-18-08, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Yeah, I can't really see BV not putting out a complete "Lost" set with at least disc's worth of exclusive content and some kind of elaborate packaging.
Old 09-18-08, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If they do that, they're likely to release the first two seasons on Blu-ray probably around a similar time frame.
Old 09-18-08, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If it comes packaged in a Hatch Replica I'm buying it. As long as the discs are all Blu-ray.

This will, of course, arrive after I shell out money for the first three seasons on DVD, and then upgrades to Blu-ray, and seasons 4 to 6 on Blu-ray.

Thanks a lot Disney.
Old 09-18-08, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
i'd say chances of a lost complete set are........99.9999%

there's really no reason for anyone not to wait when we know the series is ending soon. if you really need to watch the episodes again you can see them on abc.com or hulu.com. it will definately be worth the wait even if it takes a year to release the set after the series finishes. it is a perfect series to watch again from start to finish to see how everything we will eventually know about the island and the characters may have been apparent from the start. plus a little time away from the series before rewatching can only make it that much better.

with the growing number of complete series sets being released i don't feel bad for the people angry at the manufacturers for "making" them double-dip. these people really don't have an argument and if they have any common sense must realize that this is the trend. if they are foolish enough buy on impulse without any ounce of patience than the studio deserves their money 1,2,3 times for the same product.
Old 09-19-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
And of course don't forget that both shows that have been brought into discussion, Lost and Alias, are Abrams shows. I would be very surprised if they didn't end up releasing a complete series set. In fact, I think this thread has inspired to wait to buy any of the Blu-rays until I get a complete series set. It would be the first time I could say I was able to do that.
Old 09-19-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, I'd bet they'll release a complete set. On both DVD and Blu-ray -- the second, of which, will be purchased by moi as soon as humanly possible.
Old 09-19-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even though the season sets were pretty expensive (at least for me) compared to other sets (I generally won't pay more than $15 a season), I would expect a complet set. Probably including some new "Lost" (double entendre intended) deleted scenes/flashbacks, etc..
Old 09-19-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Without a doubt they will. See Alias.
Old 09-20-08, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
Probally in a replica of the plane or something.
Old 09-20-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by dino88
i'd say chances of a lost complete set are........99.9999%

there's really no reason for anyone not to wait when we know the series is ending soon. if you really need to watch the episodes again you can see them on abc.com or hulu.com. it will definately be worth the wait even if it takes a year to release the set after the series finishes. it is a perfect series to watch again from start to finish to see how everything we will eventually know about the island and the characters may have been apparent from the start. plus a little time away from the series before rewatching can only make it that much better.

with the growing number of complete series sets being released i don't feel bad for the people angry at the manufacturers for "making" them double-dip. these people really don't have an argument and if they have any common sense must realize that this is the trend. if they are foolish enough buy on impulse without any ounce of patience than the studio deserves their money 1,2,3 times for the same product.
On the flip side of that coin we have people like you to thank for discontinued DVD series due to a lack of sales.

I could give two shits about a complete set. I buy as they are released and enjoy them. I just want my season 1 & 2 on Blu.
Old 09-21-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Give me seasons 1 and 2 on Blu as well and I'll be happy. It will be at least 2 years plus before we can even start to think about a complete series set. Season 6 will have to come out first and then about 6 months or so will need to pass before they will dangle a complete set in front of us sometime in 2011.