Alfred Hitchcock Premiere Collection ---> 10/14/08

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Alfred Hitchcock Premiere Collection ---> 10/14/08

Old 02-07-09, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Alfred Hitchcock Premiere Collection ---> 10/14/08

Originally Posted by gnn
JWAR, Let us know how it goes with DD
I actually contacted MGM on this set and they informed me that they are basically waiting for their home office to recall the set. I hope this happens so I can get some non-defective discs. I'll update, when they update me.
Old 03-02-09, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just finished watching all eight movies and they played fine on my SONY BDP-S350 Blu-ray player. I did however, experience the same concerns, that other people have posted. Such as the vibration/noise. The vibration/noise was only during the menu scene and it went away, once the movies started playing.

This was the first time that I have watched each film and I was impressed, though I am not a silent film fan. I fell asleep during parts of The Lodger.

This set was purchased from the recent Amazon sale for $41.99.
Old 03-04-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by howwon
I just finished watching all eight movies and they played fine on my SONY BDP-S350 Blu-ray player. I did however, experience the same concerns, that other people have posted. Such as the vibration/noise. The vibration/noise was only during the menu scene and it went away, once the movies started playing.

This was the first time that I have watched each film and I was impressed, though I am not a silent film fan. I fell asleep during parts of The Lodger.

This set was purchased from the recent Amazon sale for $41.99.
Hmmm....

Regarding the vibration noise, I've actually experienced that on a few titles lately. I own Notorious, but no issues with it. I wonder what it means when the player does that?
Old 03-04-09, 05:21 PM
crs

I tried the DVDs in an open player so I could study the discs when spinning.
Looked like they vibrate horizontally and not vertically. Seems the different disc layers aren't matching each other properly at the edges. My discs also have massive amounts of leftover glue along the outer edge, which might also cause the disc to toss when spinning. Only the dual layered DVDs were problematic in my set, the single layered DVDs were ok.

Though this goes against the theory that the discs were warped because of the tight shrinkwrap of the "book" packaging.
Old 03-04-09, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by crs
Though this goes against the theory that the discs were warped because of the tight shrinkwrap of the "book" packaging.
The shrink wrap on my book was not overly tight. Plus, you have all those pages within the book to cushion the discs.

Now, while I did not take a micrometer to the discs, they did look fine to me and it sat in the Blu-ray player tray just fine.
Old 03-04-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i recall somewhere here that best guestimations were that faulty disks resulted from the manufacturing, or pressing or whatever. especially since both single releases and the premiere set disks suffered randomly.
Old 03-05-09, 11:20 AM
crs

Originally Posted by howwon
The shrink wrap on my book was not overly tight. Plus, you have all those pages within the book to cushion the discs.
It was on mine. The book's corners opposite the spine still bend heavily inwards because of the warp caused by the shrinkwrap.

Anyhow, I'm quite convinced now that my discs vibrate because the disc layers aren't aligned properly.

Have the problems even been acknowledged by Fox & co? Just horrible.

Last edited by crs; 03-05-09 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-05-09, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by crs
Have the problems even been acknowledged by Fox & co? Just horrible.
I don't believe so. They don't seem to care.
Old 03-05-09, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I don't believe so. They don't seem to care.
i believe they care. i just dont believe they care enough.
Old 06-30-09, 11:50 PM
Cool New Member

I must be one of the lucky ones....all movies and extras played fine even though the surface of a lot of the discs were scratched and dirty looking.
Old 07-01-09, 10:47 AM

Not me. I received this set for my birthday. So far I watched The Lodger and Sabotage. No problems with Sabotage, but The Lodger freezes and skips in on of my DVD players and my other player does not even play the disc. The only place where I can watch the movie is on my PC.
Old 08-02-09, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick question I hope someone can answer before the DD sale is over -- Has anyone ordered the Hitchcock Premiere collection during this sale? What was the quality of that set? I've been wanting it ever since I saw it was announced, but the disc problems has made me hold back.

Is the only option after buying it trial and error, returning the item to where you bought it for a new copy?
Old 08-02-09, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
Quick question I hope someone can answer before the DD sale is over -- Has anyone ordered the Hitchcock Premiere collection during this sale? What was the quality of that set? I've been wanting it ever since I saw it was announced, but the disc problems has made me hold back.

Is the only option after buying it trial and error, returning the item to where you bought it for a new copy?

I can tell you the set itself is fantastic, but I'm sure you are aware of the quality issues. I got lucky with my set, so if you're in a gambling mood and okay with the return hassle, it's worth getting. There doesn't seem to be any movement on MGM/Fox's part to correct the situation, so this may be the only option.
Old 08-02-09, 06:42 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I bet this becomes a deal of the day at amazon. It is easier to return there. Bn.com had a good sale on it a couple months ago. At least you could return it in store.
Old 07-22-10, 01:24 PM

Anybody know if there was ever a recall on this set? Did they fix the manufacturing issues? I am wondering because they actually have this set at Costco for $21.99...

Thanks.
Old 07-22-10, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AmonTwin
Anybody know if there was ever a recall on this set? Did they fix the manufacturing issues? I am wondering because they actually have this set at Costco for $21.99...

Thanks.

Woah.. If someone wouldn't mind getting me a copy.. I would pay you for it + shipping obviously.
Old 07-23-10, 12:36 AM

The sets Costco are selling appear to be the same bad pressings as those from 2008. Please see my post in the other thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/10281868-post9.html