Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - VI

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
What's wrong with the individual packs? Because I was thinking of picking up volume I.
From the earlier pics, the cases are just fold out cardboard sleeves where you slide the discs in/out, as opposed to the WM/RR Anthology sets that had actual disc hubs/holders.
Old 08-05-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its downright unacceptable packaging the discs the way they did. What was so wrong with the hubs/holders they used for RR and WM???

theres no protection at all. I pulled out SS 90 and noticed all these scratches on the back, i hope it doesn't effect playback.

They got some nerve charging $150+ for a set that has cheapest packaging i ever heard of.
Old 08-05-08, 01:00 PM

Thank you all for sharing on the packaging details. I thought I'd hold off till Novemberish to get this set but if there's a risk of damaging the discs just by storing them I'll hold out till it gets better packaging (maybe when they release separate volumes?) or if the price drops a good amout. It's a shame to hear this because besides looking forward to it I thought WWE did a great job with their Wrestlemania anthology.
Old 08-05-08, 02:18 PM

I will probably be in the minority here, but I love this set. Picked it up this morning at Best Buy and the packaging is so sick. Even the material of the box reminds me of one of those disposable coolers. Although I was turned off by the disc holders being the way they are (non-existent,) they were surprisingly safe. When in place, the discs don't seem to move at all and if you are careful, I think taking them out and putting them in shouldn't be a problem. I examined every disc and didn't have a single scratch and I like the graphics on the individual boxes as well.

The way the discs are held doesn't really bother me because I take them all out and put them in a cd folder anyways. I did this with the WM and RR anthologies so they are all in one binder and I don't have to damage the packaging of any of the boxes whenever I want to watch a show.

Either way, I was happy to shell out $130 for this set and I can't wait to see what the eventual Survivor Series set is going to look like.
Old 08-05-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The discs are pretty secure, and i was very careful taking out and putting back the discs. I used a microfiber cloth to wipe down the most of the discs and i guess those scratches i had on SS 90 weren't scratches and now its clean. All my others discs are fine and no scratches.

Guess i panicked a bit after spending $150. But i hope they don't use this packaging for future anthologies, and go back to using the hubs/placeholders like RR and WM.

Last edited by sg2386; 08-05-08 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-05-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts
Does anyone know if they will release separate volumes for the summerslam anthology DVDs?

if not how do you get the Borders 40% coupon?

also is the case or cooler made out of cardboard or leather or plastic?
Old 08-05-08, 07:01 PM

if anybody wants individual volumes, I only plan on opening and keeping volume I. So send me a message if interested in II, III and/or IV.
Old 08-05-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Does anyone know if they will release separate volumes for the summerslam anthology DVDs?

if not how do you get the Borders 40% coupon?

also is the case or cooler made out of cardboard or leather or plastic?
the cooler is made of a nice thick cardboard, similar to the WM and RR anthologies but it feels and looks better.

I am guessing they spent more time and money making the cooler case than the actual packaging of the discs, trying to cut costs.

Last edited by sg2386; 08-05-08 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-05-08, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Are they never releasing Royal Rumble 2008 in Blu Ray?
Old 08-05-08, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by John Slider
Are they never releasing Royal Rumble 2008 in Blu Ray?
probably not yet, i have a feeling Summerslam and Survivor Series will be on Blu-ray this year and then next year all of the big 4 will on blu.

I just think it depends on how Blu-ray sales are, and how many households have them. I read that about 60%-70% of families don't even have a HD television so theres no benefit of blu-ray for them.

I think ppvs will have monthly blu-ray releases in the next couple of years, like how DVD was.

with DVD, WM15 was the first then S.Slam 99, then the following year the big 5, then after that starting from WM17 all ppvs were on DVD monthly (No Way Out 2001 was the only ppv not on DVD, which is a shame because that was an awesome ppv).

Last edited by sg2386; 08-05-08 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-05-08, 08:03 PM

Oh.

I'm not a collector or anything, its just that WrestleMania and Royal Rumble were the only two PPVs I really cared for within the past year or two so was really hoping the Rumble could accompany WM on Blu Ray in my cabinet. Guess not.
Old 08-05-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have HD but I am waiting until there are better quality blu-ray players and the price goes down.
Old 08-05-08, 09:01 PM

I have HD but I am waiting until there are better quality blu-ray players and the price goes down.
I saw a Blu-ray player at Sam's Club, Magnavox brand for $279.
Old 08-05-08, 09:16 PM

Bestbuy's USA's system is a mess.

For those who would like to buy the set at B&M, its showing up ad $199.99.

You can pricematch it with their bestbuy.com price of $159.99
Old 08-05-08, 11:23 PM

Coconuts & FYE locally have the Summer Slam Anthology for $149.99, BSP members get it for an ultra low $135 plus tax. Best dealio I have seen!
Old 08-06-08, 01:14 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by xage
What is the UPC# and Spine#?
xage here's the spine number of Wrestlemania 24 slimline blockbuster exclusive.
Old 08-06-08, 01:18 AM
Suspended

Pics of WWE DVD's in different retail stores:

Bestbuy

Walmart

Circuit city

Fry's Electronics

Nways my Big Sweet Pickup:

Summerslam Anthology bought it for only $12.15 at Bestbuy

$160 summerslam anthology - my $150 bestbuy giftcard= Big $$$ price discount!
Old 08-06-08, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by throwback
Pics of WWE DVD's in different retail stores:

Bestbuy

Walmart

Circuit city

Fry's Electronics

Nways my Big Sweet Pickup:

Summerslam Anthology bought it for only $12.15 at Bestbuy

$160 summerslam anthology - my $150 bestbuy giftcard= Big $$$ price discount!
Damn those are some stocked shelves the stores in my area look like crap, and don't have nearly the stock that those shelves have.
Old 08-06-08, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How did you get those photos without an employee or security guard asking you questions?

that best buy photo looks like it came from the mountain view Best Buy.

I just want the anthology for volume 1 1989-1992

I assume they won't release it separately.

I always wanted to watch that hogan and savage match vs Millionaire Dollar Man and whoever his parter was (andre the giant?) but our cable system did not carry pay per view.

I remember my friend saying Elizabeth stripped down as a distraction to help the megapowers win the match.
Old 08-06-08, 03:09 AM

How did you get those photos without an employee or security guard asking you questions?

that best buy photo looks like it came from the mountain view Best Buy.

I just want the anthology for volume 1 1989-1992

I assume they won't release it separately.

I always wanted to watch that hogan and savage match vs Millionaire Dollar Man and whoever his parter was (andre the giant?) but our cable system did not carry pay per view.

I remember my friend saying Elizabeth stripped down as a distraction to help the megapowers win the match.

actually volume 1 is 88-92, and 88 is the one where liz rips her skirt off.
Old 08-06-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i watched 88-91 yesterday, and damn, those events brought back tons of memories. I never seen 88 and 89, and thought it was enjoyable. The music edits aren't that bad either, you can tell what music are dubbed over and also tell when Fink is dubbed over with new announcing.

I never knew that 88 and 89 used the Royal Rumble theme from early years, sounded pretty wierd, i don't think that theme was present on the Royal Rumble anthology.

great set though, going to watch 92, 93 94, and possibly 95 today. I'm probably only going to watch up to 98, since i already own 99-2007 on dvd.
Old 08-06-08, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by sg2386
i watched 88-91 yesterday, and damn, those events brought back tons of memories. I never seen 88 and 89, and thought it was enjoyable. The music edits aren't that bad either, you can tell what music are dubbed over and also tell when Fink is dubbed over with new announcing.

I never knew that 88 and 89 used the Royal Rumble theme from early years, sounded pretty wierd, i don't think that theme was present on the Royal Rumble anthology.

great set though, going to watch 92, 93 94, and possibly 95 today. I'm probably only going to watch up to 98, since i already own 99-2007 on dvd.

what themes are dubbed? please tell me Demolition and Dusty Rhodes themes are intact? wwe home video makes some strange choices on when/what themes to leave in... they took the rumble theme song off 91-94 dvds, thus having to completely redo the intros, yet they leave the same theme on the first two summerslams, when there was no dialogue, and thus the theme would have been easily replaceable. strange birds over there in Stamford. you never know what you're gonna get on these dvds.

Last edited by fyebonusdisc; 08-06-08 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-06-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

was watching 90 and 91 and Demolition theme is on there as well as Dusty's "Common man".

Bossman's theme is on too, which i remember was dubbed with his corporation theme from 98 on WM and i think RR too.

Slick's "Jive" theme is on there which i remember was not on WM and RR.

from what i remember Koko B ware's theme is dubbed, and i think Sid Justice's theme was replaced on 91 similar to his WCW theme from 99.

Can't really remember others, since i didn't watch them on ppv or own the coliseum video releases, so don't know which themes are replaced, but you can tell on some when Fink's announcing is dubbed (not sure why his original is not in).

Another note, the wedding tribute video to Randy Savage/Miss Elizabeth had the same song used in the Edge/Vickie wedding where they had their dance together. Not sure if they dubbed it or that was the actual song used in 91.

Last edited by sg2386; 08-06-08 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-06-08, 01:56 PM

Here are the details of the listings for the Hell in a cell dvd:

The DVD, which will be hosted by Mick Foley, will feature:

DVD ONE
*The Devil’s Playground
*The Debut
*Hell in a Cell - Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels WWF Badd Blood PPV
*RAW in Hell
*Tag Team Hell in a Cell - Stone Cold Steve Austin & Undertaker vs. Mankind & Kane 6/15/98 Raw
*The Defining Match
*Hell in a Cell - Undertaker vs. Mankind WWF King of the Ring 1998 PPV
*Partners turned Opponents
*Hell in a Cell - Mankind vs. Kane 8/24/98 Raw
*Career on the Line
*Hell in a Cell - WWF champ Triple H vs. Cactus Jack WWF No Way Out 2000 PPV
*The Six Men
*Six-Man Hell in a Cell - Kurt Angle vs. Rikishi vs. The Rock vs. Undertaker vs. Triple H vs. Steve Austin WWF Armageddon 2000

DVD TWO
*End the Game
*Hell in a Cell - Triple H vs. Chris Jericho WWE Judgment Day 2002 PPV
*Earning Your Respect
*Hell in a Cell - Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar WWF No Mercy 2002 PPV
*Hell in a Cell - Triple H vs. Kevin Nash with Mick Foley as referee WWE Bad Blood 2003 PPV
*Good Friends Gone Bad
*Hell in a Cell - Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H WWE Bad Blood 2004 PPV

DVD THREE
*The Animal’s Evolution
*Hell in a Cell - Batista vs. Triple H WWE Vengeance 2005 PPV
*The Legend Killer
*Hell in a Cell - Undertaker vs. Randy Orton WWE Armaggedon 2005 PPV
*The Amplified Version
*Hell in a Cell Handicap - DX vs. Shane McMahon, Mr. McMahon & Big Show WWE Unforgiven 2006 PPV
*The End of the Line
*Hell in a Cell - Undertaker vs. Batista WWE Survivor Series 2007 PPV
*Defining A Career
Old 08-06-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the only HIAC match missing is the Bossman vs. Undertaker from WM15, but it wasn't that great, so no big lose.

Also (if you count it a HIAC) the Kennel from Hell match with Al Snow vs. Bossman from Unforgiven 99. I guess WWE wants us to forget that match even took place.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.