Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - VI

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - VI

Old 06-30-08, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I voted for anything that wasn't already on DVD. If anyone voted for a damn Wrestlemania match, I will crush your windpipe with a ringbell.
Old 06-30-08, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i hope they include CM Punks world title win as an extra on the NOC DVD.
Old 06-30-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they do, that might be a good reason to pick it up. Otherwise, NOC kinda sucked.
Old 06-30-08, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jman4200
I was visiting wwe.com and they are taking opinions for an upcoming "History of the Intercontitental Title" dvd at this link.

http://survey.wwe.com/intercontinental/
Let's hope they have the match in Rio De Janeiro where Pat Patterson became the first IC champ

FOOTAGE NOT FOUND
Old 06-30-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lastofthewild1s
I voted for plenty of Tito Santana matches ,since I doubt he'll ever get his own dvd.
Same here as I always enjoyed watching his matches as champion back in 84-86.
Old 06-30-08, 10:46 PM

I was wondering when TNA would get around to doing an Angle DVD - I love the title, although I'm not big on the cover. Hopefully they do a better job with this than they did with the Sting DVD, which didn't even do a good job of summing up his TNA run, let alone his entire career.

They've got plenty of great matches to work with, so there's no reason it shouldn't be "great" at a bare minimum. Part of me hopes they just make it a matches-only release, while another part of me wants them to put a documentary on it so Angle can rant and rave about how mis-used he was by WWE and how he "quit". A chapter devoted to Puder would be incredibly amusing as well.

Last edited by JPeeples; 06-30-08 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-30-08, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jman4200
I was visiting wwe.com and they are taking opinions for an upcoming "History of the Intercontitental Title" dvd at this link.

http://survey.wwe.com/intercontinental/
Great News. one of the many dvd titles I hoped they would someday release.

I picked the following matches. I don't think any of these were released on dvd as of yet.

70's/80's
Pat Patterson vs. Ted DiBiase - An early classic
Honky Tonk Man vs. Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat - I was always secretly a honky tonk man mark.
Honky Tonk Man vs. “Macho Man” Randy Savage - Always had fond memories of this match.

90's
Razor Ramon vs. Rick Martel
Ken Shamrock vs. Mankind
Chyna vs. Jeff Jarrett - Very Underrated and fun match, I doubt they will allow it.

2000's
Kurt Angle vs. Chris Jericho
Eddie Guerrero vs. Chris Jericho vs. X-Pac
Shelton Benjamin vs. Chris Jericho vs. Christian
Old 07-01-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From Silvervision:

Curt Hennig, better known as Mr. Perfect, competed for the American Wrestling Association, World Wrestling Entertainment and World Championship Wrestling. Born the son of legendary Larry “The Axe” Hennig, it was perhaps inevitable that Curt would want to follow in his father’s footsteps. But Mr. Perfect lived up to his moniker becoming one of the best in-ring technicians of his generation. A former AWA World Heavyweight Champion, he was also the longest-reigning Intercontinental Champion of the 1990s. Loved by fans and friends alike, Mr. Perfect entertained in and out of the ring, earning him the honour of induction into the WWE Hall of Fame. This two-disc set relives his life and career, from his early start as a second-generation star through AWA, WWE, and WCW. Some of his greatest matches and vignettes are included. Who was this man? Here’s a hint… he was absolutely “perfect”.

Disc 1

Perfection
Twin City Origins
Building a Path
AWA
Mr. Perfect
Living up to His Name
Intercontinental Champion
The Prankster
Commentator
WCW
Return to the WWE
A Sudden Tragedy
Hall of Fame
The Perfect Legacy Lives On

Curt Hennig vs. Eddie Gilbert
Madison Square Garden (21/11/82)

Curt Hennig & Scott Hall vs. Steve Regal & Jimmy Garvin
AWA Championship Wrestling (26/11/85)

Mr. Perfect Hall of Fame Induction
WWE Hall of Fame (31/03/07)

“Rap is Crap” Music Video

Vignettes

Billiards October 1, 1988

Golf – Perfect Putt October 1, 1988

Darts October 8, 1988

Bowling October 8, 1988

Chess October 15, 1988

Basketball October 15, 1988

Ping Pong October 28, 1989

Diving November 4, 1989

Golf – Perfect Drive November 4, 1989

Horseshoes November 24, 1989

Baseball with Wade Boggs December 26, 1992

Football – Perfect Passer with Steve Jordan February 13, 1993

Basketball with Felton Spencer February 27, 1993

Hockey with Mike Modano March 13, 1993

Stories

Curt Loved Karaoke

Lifestyles of Mr. Perfect

Disc 2

60-Minute Time Limit AWA World Heavyweight Championship Match
Curt Hennig vs. Nick Bockwinkel
AWA Championship Wrestling (15/11/86)

Curt Hennig vs. Terry Taylor
Commentary By: Michael Cole & Mick Foley
WrestleFest (31/07/88)

Mr. Perfect vs. Bret Hart
Madison Square Garden (24/04/89)

WWE Championship Match
Mr. Perfect vs. Hulk Hogan
Madison Square Garden (15/01/90)

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match with Special Referee Roddy Piper
Mr. Perfect vs. The Texas Tornado
Madison Square Garden (24/11/90)

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match
Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect
SummerSlam (26/08/91)

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match
Mr. Perfect vs. Shawn Michaels
SummerSlam (30/08/93)

Curt Hennig vs. Bret Hart
Uncensored (15/03/98)
Old 07-01-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like a great set. Of course most of us are going to complain that it should be three discs, but the fact is that most of Perfect's latter career was not good. The matches with Bret Hart from '89 and '98 are what I really wanted, since they'll complete the series if you have the Bret DVD. Not crazy about them including the match from SS '91, but it's even cooler to have a match with Hogan, and Michaels, his IC title win. Definitely picking this up.
Old 07-01-08, 10:19 AM

I'll be picking up the Hennig set, but I could have done without the two Summerslam matches being on it. I'm also disappointed that his first IC title win over Tito Santana isn't included. I hope that match makes it onto the IC title dvd set.
Old 07-01-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another disappointing match list.

Still looks like a great release, but far from "perfect".
Old 07-01-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was hoping they atleast included a couple of matches with Flair, especially the Loser leaves town match from RAW in 1993 since the one on the RAW 15th Anniversary is not complete.

Still a pretty good set.
Old 07-01-08, 11:35 AM

But it has the "Rap is Crap" video, so it's already worth it.
Old 07-01-08, 03:12 PM

WWE 24/7 just had the 1-hour match with Bockwinkel. Really, if you have WWE 24/7
these sets aren't worth getting 99% of the time. You can just make your own DVD
collections of great matches from the past.
Old 07-01-08, 06:52 PM

Buying the original DVD's is always better
Old 07-01-08, 09:11 PM

To each his own, but if you already have most of the matches on DVD's,
then it's pointless to shell out $19-25 bucks. I wish they'd put rare matches
on these sets instead of the same old stuff. I like that they've included the
Hennig-Hart match from '89, but I've seen their '91 SummerSlam match at least
20 times. If it wasn't for the documentary, I wouldn't be getting the Flair
collection this coming week either. That has an even more disappointing match
list, in my opinion. I'll get the Flair set, but I'm going to wait on Mr. Perfect until
it's really, really cheap.
Old 07-02-08, 04:36 AM

Of course there are no Benoit matches on that list to choose from. Would have been nice to at least sneak one in on the list...not like theyd actually have to include it if people voted for it.
Old 07-02-08, 08:49 PM

Im not a huge ROH fan, just dont have a way to watch it, but had a question. I came across ROH's Stars of Honor dvd today...Does anyone know if this dvd is any good. I was particularly interested in the 2 Matt Hardy matches featured on it from his stint he had there in 2005 between his WWE stints. It was only 9.99 and also has CM Punk vs Samoa Joe, is this dvd worth it....Also are there other RETAIL dvds released by ROH w/ Matt's matches?

EDIT: I know this has probably been mentioned before, but are ROH's dvds that are not retail releases printed on DVD-R's?

Last edited by l8nerduke32; 07-02-08 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-02-08, 09:14 PM

no.
Old 07-02-08, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by l8nerduke32
Im not a huge ROH fan, just dont have a way to watch it, but had a question. I came across ROH's Stars of Honor dvd today...Does anyone know if this dvd is any good. I was particularly interested in the 2 Matt Hardy matches featured on it from his stint he had there in 2005 between his WWE stints. It was only 9.99 and also has CM Punk vs Samoa Joe, is this dvd worth it....Also are there other RETAIL dvds released by ROH w/ Matt's matches?

EDIT: I know this has probably been mentioned before, but are ROH's dvds that are not retail releases printed on DVD-R's?
Buy it! There are currently 2 Koch retail DVDs out (Stars of Honor, and Bloodstained Honor) and there are two more on the way. I think they are called "Best in the World" and "Greatest Rivalries" or something like that.

I'd recommend starting with those and if you get hooked on ROH (like I did) you should wait until their website has a Big Ten sale where a lot of their DVDs are marked down to 10 bucks and you get 10% off the whole order.

Some folks like starting with the really early stuff in 2002 as while it's low production values, the in-ring work is amazing and gives you a feel for what made ROH different.

You could also cherry pick some shows that have your favorite wrestlers on them. Recently they had a sale where they marked down a lot of their "Best of" DVDs down to 5.00 and 15% off! That was a steal of a deal...
Old 07-02-08, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Question for anyone who bought the Judgment Day 2008 DVD:

The DVD lists the "championship" chase as the special feature. While I know it doesn't include every match from the tournament, does it feature the final round battle royal in it's entirety?
Old 07-03-08, 12:09 AM

The DVD is a great one to get. You even get a free trading card with it.

The ROH no-commercial DVD's are not DVD-r's. They are dual layered with disk art.
Old 07-03-08, 12:38 AM

Thanks everyone for the info on the ROH dvds, i think im going to have to go back to suncoast and and get the Stars of Honor dvd.....

My only concern is: on their website shop, i looked at their current sale and they have a 4 DVD Grab Bag and it says "grab bag can include DVDs and DVD-Rs" (or something to that effect), any info on this?? Would this be a shoot interview disc or something not licensed by ROH that they may throw in? I dont like 'blind purchasing'.
Old 07-03-08, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Thanks everyone for the info on the ROH dvds, i think im going to have to go back to suncoast and and get the Stars of Honor dvd.....

My only concern is: on their website shop, i looked at their current sale and they have a 4 DVD Grab Bag and it says "grab bag can include DVDs and DVD-Rs" (or something to that effect), any info on this?? Would this be a shoot interview disc or something not licensed by ROH that they may throw in? I dont like 'blind purchasing'.
ROH does sell DVD-Rs from other companies so it's possible they'd throw one in there. If you really want to order one, just request all ROH stuff in the Special Notes section on the order page. I'm pretty sure they've honored requests like that in the past. They'll probably have a decent (20-25%) sale later today so you'd be better off waiting to see what they're offering before placing an order.
Old 07-03-08, 02:57 PM

Definitely YMMV, but my local Circuit City in Humble, TX had The Definitive Ric Flair Collection out early. The price tag listed it at $21.99, but the Web site shows it for $19.99.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.