Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Code Red releasing horror/sleaze titles fall 08, including Savage Streets!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Code Red releasing horror/sleaze titles fall 08, including Savage Streets!

Old 12-17-08, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul1957
Messiah of Evil is coming! With an audio commentary.

http://codereddvdblog.blogspot.com/

That's terrific news. This is a really good low-budget genre film which has seen some atrocious P&S transfers over the years on VHS, etc. It will be nice to finally see it in its proper aspect ratio.

The director ended up directing HOWARD THE DUCK years later. MESSIAH OF EVIL is way better than that silly DUCK flick.
Old 12-17-08, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was also on their blog:

After four long years of searching, we were convinced we would never find it, but we have just located the original negatives of the blaxploitation, kung fu, gangploitation, subway monster hybrid DEVIL'S EXPRESS! The lab just inspected them and they have confirmed that indeed these are the original negatives, along with the trailer elements. We are getting ready to do a HiDef master and will be working on the extras soon. Hopefully we can have this out in September 2009!
Wow, they had me at "blaxploitation, kung fu, gangploitation, subway monster hybrid".

Here's the poster:

Old 12-17-08, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
This was also on their blog:

Wow, they had me at "blaxploitation, kung fu, gangploitation, subway monster hybrid".

Here's the poster:

Haven't heard the most pleasing things about this movie, but I've always wanted to see it nonetheless!
Old 12-17-08, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Haven't heard the most pleasing things about this movie, but I've always wanted to see it nonetheless!
That comment could apply to quite a few of the titles they're releasing. I must say I'm pretty impressed with the effort and care that's gone into each of their titles. Code Red are the highest form of turd-polishers, and I salute them for it.
Old 12-17-08, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
GANG WARS is terrific! Unbelievable fun, spastic 1975 exploitation trash that mixes ZOMBIE HORROR with KUNG FU and BLAXPLOITATION antics!

Mucho ***SPOILERS*** follow so proceed with caution. It opens in China in 200 BC where some monks are practicing some ancient ritual around a tomb and cave. Then we cut to modern day New York City for the opening credits. Every once in a while we cut to some hallucinatory moving shots inside a subway tunnel backed by some scary electronic music. Then we meet our two heroes, a black one named Luke and a white guy named Rodan, who are hangin' out at the local martial arts gym and flexin' their muscles at each other. Blink and they're on the plane and in Hong Kong and practicing martial arts with the Chinese masters in a long sequence. Rodan finds an old cave and sees some skulls, but they leave quickly because Luke is getting impatient. A zombie has awakened in the cave and lots of wind blows. POV shots as the zombie shuffles through the woods and soon the monster makes it to the docks and scares a guy smoking a cigarette (he gets so scared that his eyes turn into ping pong balls!). Back in Manhattan, the ping-pong ball eye guy gets off the boat and stumbles around the streets of the city. Cars honk at him. He finally stumbles his way down into the subway. Then we're back on the streets and some of that cool 70's 'kitcha kitcha' blaxploitation music kicks in. Dope deals are goin' down and kung-fu gang fighting between the blacks and chinese are rampant in the streets. Black Luke lives with his girlfriend in the tenements and is concerned about the crime outside. Meanwhile, back in the subway, ping-pong ball man starts screaming and bleeding red and green blood and his inner zombie self bursts through his skin! Zombie-man calls out to his victims in a fake female voice asking for help - the victims are ripped apart, their headless bodies left for the police to find and puzzle over. A preacher played by Brother Theodore is also in on the case and preaches to pedestrians on the busy streets of Manhattan! Poor Rodan gets his face shoved into an electrical panel by the zombie and dies. So Luke gets MAD, dons a plush yellow leotard jumpsuit, and heads into the subway for vengeance! It all ends in a big battle between fist, feet, and zombie! Ka-whacka! Lots of wild kung-fu, blaxploitation, ridiculous zombie horror, and really fake red blood make this one a real bad-movie treat!!! Don't miss it!

Last edited by man*machine; 12-17-08 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12-17-08, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait, Brother Theodore is in it? I'm sold!

Old 12-18-08, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Was Butcher Baker, Nightmare Maker ever released???
Old 12-18-08, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mountain Biker
Was Butcher Baker, Nightmare Maker ever released???
I believe they delayed it, due to them finally locating Jimmy McNichol to participate on it.
Old 12-18-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to DVDAf, Code Red will be bringing us Running Hot and the awesome Derby documentary in February.
Old 12-18-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That movie looks fucking bitchin'.
Old 12-19-08, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul1957
Messiah of Evil is coming! With an audio commentary.

http://codereddvdblog.blogspot.com/
The movie as a whole isn't perfect, but it has some of the best individual Horror scenes of the decade: The albino at the gas station; the girl being surrounded in the theater; the other girl being killed in the supermarket; the zombies jumping through the skylight during the final attack.
I'll be delighted to see a decent DVD of this.

Wasn't Code Red supposed to be releasing The Farmer? It was announced a long time ago.
Old 12-19-08, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume

Wasn't Code Red supposed to be releasing The Farmer? It was announced a long time ago.

Probably next year, but with their distributor BCI folding,who knows now?
Old 12-19-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by salamander2
Probably next year, but with their distributor BCI folding,who knows now?
I see, thanks.
Old 04-10-09, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Code Red releasing horror/sleaze titles fall 08, including Savage Streets!

Code Red is alive and kickin'! From DVD Drive-In:
On June 21st, Code Red will release the Canadian backwoods thriller TRAPPED, directed by cult director William Fruet (DEATH WEEKEND, KILLER PARTY, SPASMS), written by John Beaird (MY BLOODY VALENTINE, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME) and photographed by award-winning cinematographer Mark Irwin (SCANNERS, VIDEODROME, THE BLOB, THE FLY, SCREAM)! An innocent camping weekend turns into terror for four young university students when they witness a murder! The film stars Henry Silva (CHAINED HEAT, SHARKEY'S MACHINE) and Nicholas Campbell (DEAD ZONE, THE BROOD). The DVD will feature a brand new 16x9 widescreen master, and the original theatrical trailer. MSRP is 19.98.
Old 04-10-09, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 04-10-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I viewed a couple of the films in the Fruet canon during last year's Horror Challenge - Death Weekend and Killer Party, and while the latter was simply atrocious, boasting one of the most nonsensical title songs I've ever heard, Death Weekend was a competent Straw Dogs/Last House on the Left ripoff, with the requisite amount of authentic exploitation sleaze. I'll definitely give this one a rental.
Old 04-10-09, 08:29 PM

Code Red is alive and kickin'! From DVD Drive-In:
Code Red has already had a couple of titles released through Navarre back in January: DERBY and RUNNING HOT. So they have been alive and kicking after BCI's collapse even since January. Hopefully, more titles will come out faster now that things seem to be straightened out.

I bought DERBY, a very cool 70's documentary on roller derby that somehow turns into a fascinating study of one dreamer guy who does everything he can to get into the sport, as well as all his family and friends and private life. It's a really cool movie, similar to SALESMAN in it's about real people instead of just their profession. Lots of extras, too. I had seen the film years ago on VHS and wasn't sure what I remembered about it, but I'm really glad I picked up the DVD.

I haven't picked up RUNNING HOT yet, but it stars Eric Stoltz in a somewhat early role. I've never seen it, but it's an action-exploitation thriller from the 80's and I will buy it eventually. I like the type of films code red goes after so I'm sure it will be fun in the end.

They also have something called NIGHT OF THE DRIBBLER about a homicidal basketball-head maniac that I can't wait to check out. That's coming soon, too, according to their website. Fun stuff!
Old 04-11-09, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trapped trailer:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jzoIbMYtmF0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jzoIbMYtmF0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"Starring Henry Silva...as a one-man death machine!"
Old 04-11-09, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I viewed a couple of the films in the Fruet canon during last year's Horror Challenge - Death Weekend and Killer Party, and while the latter was simply atrocious, boasting one of the most nonsensical title songs I've ever heard, Death Weekend was a competent Straw Dogs/Last House on the Left ripoff, with the requisite amount of authentic exploitation sleaze. I'll definitely give this one a rental.
Fruet's a solid genre director. You should check out Funeral Home, a charming Psycho-styled story with a creepy ambience and a first-rate central performance from Kay Hawtrey.
Old 04-13-09, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Holy shit, that Trapped trailer made the movie looked action-packed. I wonder if the movie is actually that exciting.
Old 04-16-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Netflix is finally carrying Sweet Sixteen, though it really wasn't worth the wait. My expectations for 80's slashers are pretty low, but this film was truly dreadful. The transfer was pretty ragged too, with night sequences being almost indecipherable at times. Oh well. At least Frank Sparks' blandly vague song "Melissa" was worth a couple of unintentional chuckles, and it was mild fun to spot the various veteran B-movie actors as they sleepwalked through their performances.
Old 04-16-09, 10:36 PM

I thought Sweet Sixteen was a pretty good 80s slasher....
Old 04-17-09, 07:38 AM

I just bought KILLER PARTY on VHS.
Old 04-20-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Code Red's blog:
(On June 21st) we have the 1986 action film, CHOKE CANYON! To Dr. David Lowell (Stephen Collins, 7TH HEAVEN), Choke Canyon was the only location where he could conduct a vital experiment involving Halley's Comet and the production of safe, inexhaustible power. But to the Pilgrim Corporation's ruthless executive Brooke Alstair (Lance Henriksen, ALIENS, PUMPKINHEAD), it was an ideal spot to dispose of a deadly load of illegal nuclear waste. Lead by a veteran mercenary (Bo Svenson, INGLORIOUS BASTARDS, KILL BILL), the corporation's hired guns come after Lowell with everything they've got! Filled with careening off-road chases and exciting plane and helicopter dog fights, CHOKE CANYON is a high energy action thriller directed by Veteran action director Chuck Bail (THE GUMBALL RALLY).

Specs/extras on this disc:

Brand New 16x9 widescreen master from the original negatives in Italy

Audio commentary with the late producer Peter Shepard, moderated by Lee Christian

BO SVENSON, STAR WHO IS ALWAYS WALKING TALL - an on camera interview with star BO SVENSON

Original Trailer

MSRP is $19.98.
Also of note:
Tired of seeing The Hammer in crappy full-frame bootlegs taken from edited TV prints with zero extras? Well, The Hammer was tired, too! And The Hammer is ready to take on all those crappy bootlegs! Fred Williamson was happy to show up to give us a candid interview and commentaries for the two films DEATH JOURNEY and MEAN JOHNNY BARROWS. Fred is offering his fans his director's cut versions which contain 10 minutes extra for MEAN JOHNNY BARROWS and 3 minutes extra for DEATH JOURNEY! All uncut and mastered in HiDef from the original camera negatives! 16x9! 2.35:1 scope! Many of you were too young to see these films when Fred released them in the 70's, but now you can see them the way The Hammer wanted you to see them! Same Hammer time, same Hammer label!!
We are planning an September street date for both.
DVDAf lists release dates for a couple more: Riot on 42nd Street: 5/19 and Scream (1981): 6/30

Reviews:

DVD Drive-In on Terror Circus

DVD Beaver on Derby and Running Hot
Old 04-22-09, 09:56 AM

So Savage Streets is OOP already? It hasn't even been a year yet.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.