Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-25-08, 06:09 AM   #1
Panda Phil
DVD Talk Special Edition

How many defective dvd's have turned up in your collection

I've been extremely annoyed that two copies in row of Gettysburg have been glitchy. Also disk 3 of my B:TAS season 3 box had a nice big scratch on it, that makes one entire episode unwatchable.

And now, I find that disk 3 of my Law and Order Season 4 is no longer playable at all!

Of course, the fact that two of these are flippers might have something to do with it. But thats another thread.

So how many dead or dying dvd's do you own?
"I think I could turn and live with animals. They are so placid and self-contained. They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins. They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God. Not one of them kneels to another or to his own kind that lived thousands of years ago. Not one of them is respectable or unhappy, all over the earth."

Last edited by Panda Phil; 02-25-08 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-25-08, 07:15 AM   #2
Brian Shannon
DVD Talk Legend

Out of ~500 discs, none that I am aware of.
Old 02-25-08, 07:34 AM   #3
Matthew Ackerly
DVD Talk Special Edition

None.. why would I keep defective discs in my collection?

If it's defective, I toss it.
Old 02-25-08, 07:41 AM   #4
Takeshi357

Only one. Mad Max SE. It had a huge manufacturing error (a small dent that made the disc unplayable some one hour plus into the film), but I never got around to tossing it because it still has perfectly serviceable case and cover...
Old 02-25-08, 07:47 AM   #5
matome
DVD Talk Legend

2700 discs and I've never came across one that gave me any playback issues yet.

DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD | Blu-Ray only | Laserdisc

Old 02-25-08, 08:04 AM   #6
nemein

None that I'm aware of, but w/ over 1200 titles and 2300 actual DVDs, it's not like I watch them all on a regular basis

"When you look really deep, we are all kind of shallow" -- unknown

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the countdown clock
2261 days 20 hours 55 minutes
Old 02-25-08, 08:15 AM   #7
BullGooseLoony
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't bought a defective DVD of years...and then I picked up Men in Black II for $5 this past December. I think that's a sign I need to get rid of it.
Old 02-25-08, 09:03 AM   #8
dx23
Banned

Only one: FM released by Anchor Bay. It's also out of print so I'm unable to replace it at an affordable price.
Old 02-25-08, 10:06 AM   #9
Maxflier
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have ~1000 and don't recall ever getting a defective one.
PSN:Maxflier

My Countdown Counting down to: The first Saturday in May.
191 days 13 hours 21 minutes
Old 02-25-08, 10:19 AM   #10
Giggles

I've got 2. First is one of the French Texas Chainsaw Massacre editions. It has a little dent and don't show the main manu, just starts playing from a couple of minutes into the movie. But since I keep this edition mostly for the cover and have lots of others to watch this film on, I don't mind.
And the second is Dr. Lamb. The disc got loose in the box during shipping and first two minutes play with strange sound. But because of my laziness I decided not to send it back for a replacement and not to wait another month till it gets here.
Old 02-25-08, 12:15 PM   #11
SterlingBen
DVD Talk Limited Edition

None, Why would you keep a defective disc? Return, resurface or rubbage.
Old 02-25-08, 02:25 PM   #12
Panda Phil
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, wish I could go back and relabel the thread 'How many defective dvd's have turned up in your collection'.

Most of mine have gone bad months after buying. Although I admit, with the scratched Batman disk I was just too lazy to take it back across town to return.
"I think I could turn and live with animals. They are so placid and self-contained. They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins. They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God. Not one of them kneels to another or to his own kind that lived thousands of years ago. Not one of them is respectable or unhappy, all over the earth."

Last edited by Panda Phil; 02-25-08 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-25-08, 04:11 PM   #13
OldBoy
Inane Thread Master

"Ubreakable" was the only really defective one that wouldn't play on any machine. i had to buy it again. i think 2 others have skipped once during playback, but nothing major. out of almost 1,000, but of course 100 or many more have never been played.
Old 02-25-08, 05:10 PM   #14
ericn101

I have never gotten a defective disc, and i have at least a 1000, I have however burned through a good half dozen defective dvd players.
Old 02-25-08, 05:21 PM   #15
mikelowry

My Oldboy Ultimate Tin DVD has minor defect during playback. Too bad it's OOP so I can't demand for a replacement.
Old 02-25-08, 05:28 PM   #16
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

i've had several DVD's with errors...

around a dozen...

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 02-25-08, 07:38 PM   #17
Heartagram

Indeed

1 in my modest collection (~450 titles), which was Robocop 3 in the Robocop trilogy box set. The disc simply never read in any player.
Old 02-25-08, 07:40 PM   #18
shyguy1083

i have a pretty small collection (350 or so), but i dont ever recall having a defective DVD... that is until i was watching my recently purchased veronica mars s3 dvd set. disc 2 was all glitchy. luckily i opened it relatively soon after purchasing, otherwise i might've missed out on being able to exchange it. there are some dvds i've purchased but have yet to watch though... i can only hope that there are no issues with those.
Old 02-25-08, 07:51 PM   #19
Jray

I wound up with 2 that I'm aware of (still have several unwatched), out of about 350. My original copy of "Alien" had a problem that was well-known IIRC. I believe it had something to do with the layers separating or something like that. I didn't discover it until the disc was probably 2+ years old. And I had to go through 3 copies of the original "Rocky" release to get a good one. I think I have one of the defective copies of "Rocky" and it will actually play on some players, just not the one I used at the time.
Old 02-25-08, 08:08 PM   #20
mike45
DVD Talk Special Edition

Out of +1200 DVD's, two went bad, Tomorrow Never Dies and A Night To Remember. Actually, there may be more I am not aware of. I haven't really played through some DVD's multiple times.

My original 1997 Panasonic A-310 DVD player is still working. Though it does have problems with some discs. I've had two JVC players that have just stopped working.

Last edited by mike45; 02-25-08 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-25-08, 08:25 PM   #21
ThePhantomGoat

I've got roughly 880 DVDs and to my knowledge, I don't have any defective discs.
Old 02-25-08, 08:42 PM   #22
visitor Q
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's an extra feature on my Lifeforce disc that pixelates to the point where it eventually freezes up the player completely. It happens on a couple of players. The main film presentation is fine thankfully ... well, as fine is considering it's not anamorphic.

This didn't happen until a long time after I purchased it, so I'm stuck with it. And it's been awhile since I've accessed it.
Old 02-25-08, 08:46 PM   #23
TomOpus
DVD Talk Hero

I picked up the Opera Limited Edition at the swap meet for $10. Turned out it was the defective one. Thanks to DVDTalk, I found out about the disc replacement program that Anchor Bay had. A couple weeks later, I had a working disc.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 02-25-08, 09:08 PM   #24
Chicken Warrior

Okay, now I want to know: Of the defective discs you have that don't bare obvious scratches or gashes, how many are single-layer and how many are storing more data? I have this completely unfounded suspicion that DVDs with multiple layers are more susceptible to 'wearing' away.
Old 02-25-08, 09:23 PM   #25
WillDLeeEsq

I bought a copy of Velvet Goldmine from Tower Records a few years back that had a big, fat purple blotch on the disc. Exchanged it, no problem.

I almost always check the disc and pop it in my DVD player after I bought it to make sure everything works.

To my knowledge, none of my DVDs have gone bad yet.