Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 3rd Annual Holiday Movie Challenge -- THE RESULTS!!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry this took so long, it kept slipping my mind.

Anyway, here are the results. Very impressive results this year.

Our number one winner of the 3rd Annual Holiday Movie Challenge is

No surprise to me....

1. Trevor - 509! Amazing!!

2. Numes - 200! Incredible!

3. RobCA - 170! Great!

4. whitetigtress - 104! Awesome!

5. HyperWeather - 100! Very good!

6. The Monkees - 89....that's me!

7. Bluelitespecial - 86

8. Clayman32 - 82

9. Crazee4DVDs - 76

10. WallyOPD - 70

11. DVD.guy - 67

12. mijorico - 59
LBCrazy Fool - 59

13. Gobear - 54

14. Fist of Doom - 52

15. Doc Moonlight - 45

16. Sparrow - 42

17. Quack - 41
thecrazydude - 41
wordtoyamotha - 41

18. Darth Maher - 40
Chad - 40

19. Kab730 - 37

20. FantasticVSDoom - 29

21. patsfan - 26

22. Swarty - 24

23. Jeffy Pop - 21

24. The Bus - 12

25. Mister Peepers - 6

26. FusionX - 5

27. riotinmyskull - 4

28. wlverinefactor - 3
terrycloth - 3

29. MTRodaba2468 - 1
acubfaninmd - 1

No Lists Posted

Sabrett
erichbergen
MScottM

Winner of the 1st Annual Holiday Movie Challenge (2005): FantasticVSDoom 35 viewed

Winner of the 2nd Annual Holiday Movie Challenge (2006): RobCA 128 viewed

Winner of the 3rd Annual Holiday Movie Challenge (2007): Trevor 509 viewed

I'll say this if Trevor does this again next year. We don't stand a chance!

It was fun see you guys next year!!

Last edited by The Monkees; 01-12-08 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-11-08, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many days did this challenge encompass?

If there are 30 days
assume 6 hours of sleep = 18 hours in a day
18 x 30 = 540hours
540 hours = 32,400 minutes
average movie = 90 minutes
509 x 90 = 45,810 hours

How do you watch more minutes of movies than minutes in a time period?

I am not saying he didnt do it, but I dont follow the challenge that closely to know what I may be missing.

EDIT:
Ok, I just read some of the original thread and see now that you can watch TV shows.

Last edited by SoSpacey; 01-11-08 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats, Trevor! And thanks, The Monkees for doing this, it's always a lot of fun. Can't wait for the Oscar challenge to start in a couple of weeks!

Rob
Old 01-11-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a lot of fun. I got to listen a lot of commentaries that I haven't had a chance to hear before which helped me reach my goal but I'm hoping I can get to the 65 mark next year without dipping into them.
Old 01-11-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
509 x 90 = 45,810 hours
Wouldn't this be 509 X 90 minutes = 45,810 minutes which comes to 763.5 hours ?

Dirk
Old 01-11-08, 03:59 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSpacey
EDIT:
Ok, I just read some of the original thread and see now that you can watch TV shows.
Yeah, I only watched maybe 100 movies, most of the rest were 30 minute sitcoms or shorts. It worked out to about 6-7 hours a day I think. It helps that I work 12 hour shifts with 4 days off every week, so some days I watched 10-12 hours worth or even more (sadly).

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I'll say this if Trevor does this again next year. We don't stand a chance!
I again promise you all that I will NOT repeat this ever again. I had no intentions of even getting to 200, but I got off to a really good start, had nothing else going on that I couldn't put off until January, and my OCD totally took over. I knew half way thru that this was a ONE time event for me, sacrificing all other parts of my life to soak up all the holiday goodness I could.

The way it pretty much worked out was that I started scouring the TV listings for holiday shows, and set my DVR to record all that I could squeeze on, two shows at a time, sometimes up to 24 hours of content a day. I decided on day five or so to record the stuff off the DVR to my DVD-R as I watched it, so that I could have a huge Christmas library. My DVR was constantly full, and I was burning DVDs almost 24 hours a day. I burned about twice as much as I listed, but didn't pay close attention to everything. I went so far as to set my alarm for 1 or 2 hour increments as I slept, waking to change shows/blanks. The struggle to record everything and not lose anything off the DVR became a sort of Quixotic quest. I was often literally just minutes or even seconds ahead of the DVR filling up, transferring and deleting shows as it reached 99% capacity and 2 other shows were being recorded. It was quite exhausting, but also fulfilling to my OCD-addled brain.

I will NEVER do it again. Next year, I plan to watch one quality item a day, and also perhaps sate my OCD by doing the checklist again. but that will put me at perhaps 100 tops.

Huge thanks to The Monkees for organizing this whole challenge again, it is a lot of work and we appreciate it greatly.

And thanks to everyone who participated in the threads. I really enjoyed the discussions, and browsing your lists.
Old 01-11-08, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yeah, I only watched maybe 100 movies, most of the rest were 30 minute sitcoms or shorts. It worked out to about 6-7 hours a day I think. It helps that I work 12 hour shifts with 4 days off every week, so some days I watched 10-12 hours worth or even more (sadly).

I again promise you all that I will NOT repeat this ever again. I had no intentions of even getting to 200, but I got off to a really good start, had nothing else going on that I couldn't put off until January, and my OCD totally took over. I knew half way thru that this was a ONE time event for me, sacrificing all other parts of my life to soak up all the holiday goodness I could.

The way it pretty much worked out was that I started scouring the TV listings for holiday shows, and set my DVR to record all that I could squeeze on, two shows at a time, sometimes up to 24 hours of content a day. I decided on day five or so to record the stuff off the DVR to my DVD-R as I watched it, so that I could have a huge Christmas library. My DVR was constantly full, and I was burning DVDs almost 24 hours a day. I burned about twice as much as I listed, but didn't pay close attention to everything. I went so far as to set my alarm for 1 or 2 hour increments as I slept, waking to change shows/blanks. The struggle to record everything and not lose anything off the DVR became a sort of Quixotic quest. I was often literally just minutes or even seconds ahead of the DVR filling up, transferring and deleting shows as it reached 99% capacity and 2 other shows were being recorded. It was quite exhausting, but also fulfilling to my OCD-addled brain.

I will NEVER do it again. Next year, I plan to watch one quality item a day, and also perhaps sate my OCD by doing the checklist again. but that will put me at perhaps 100 tops.

Huge thanks to The Monkees for organizing this whole challenge again, it is a lot of work and we appreciate it greatly.

And thanks to everyone who participated in the threads. I really enjoyed the discussions, and browsing your lists.

you may hold some world record or something.
Old 01-11-08, 04:16 PM

Finished in 8th place again!My goal was to break 100 and make the top 5 but it just didn't work out.
I want to say thanks to Monkees for heading this thing up and going through and tabulating the results,it's fun to do,kind of becoming a new holiday tradition for me!Most fun this year was reading what Trevor had watched and sitting there with my mouth open amazed at how he watched so much.
Old 01-11-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
I squeezed into the Top 20!!!

Woo Hoo!!!!
Old 01-11-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I kind of gave up on it after Thanksgiving. Truth be told, I forgot about it entirely.

I pledge to next year beat my current, paltry record.
Old 01-11-08, 04:31 PM

Thanks again The Monkees for doing the challenge. My numbers have increased each year. Looking forward to the next one.

One minor detail. I have been left off the results list.

Here is my list:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=30

Didn't watch anything after the Dec. 27. Thanks again!
Old 01-11-08, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
I pledge to next year beat my current, paltry record.
And I pledge to once again top your total by noon on day one.

j/k !
Old 01-11-08, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Had a blast!

BTW, since this is in order of most watched shouldn't those of us that tied share the same number? In other words, wouldn't Quack, thecrazydude and wordtoyamotha all place at #18...me and Darth Maher at #19, etc.? I wanna be in the top 20 too dammit!

EDIT: forgot to inlcude LBCrazyFool

Last edited by Chad; 01-11-08 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by LBCrazyFool
Total of 59 good for a tie of 12th.
Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I squeezed into the Top 20!!!

Woo Hoo!!!!
Doh! Not anymore
Originally Posted by Chad
Had a blast!

BTW, since this is in order of most watched shouldn't those of us that tied share the same number? In other words, wouldn't Quack, thecrazydude and wordtoyamotha all place at #17...me and Darth Maher at #18, etc.? I wanna be in the top 20 too dammit!
I'll sell you 5 of mine for a prime posting spot in next year's Horror Challenge.

Last edited by Trevor; 01-11-08 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a blast with this challenge. I watched so many TV shows that I haven't seen in ages. I would describe it as "The Good, The Never Seen, and the Cheesy." Unfortunately there were a lot that fell into the "Cheesy" category.

I really shifted my focus in mid-December from watching my DVDs and maybe a few random shows on TV, to completely scouring the DVR guide for ANY Christmas show. Just like Trevor, I fell compelled to watch everything. I ended up with way too many shows, so I deleted quite a few around Christmas Eve/Christmas Day, but I tried to keep one of every different kind of show.

Thanks again to The Monkees (people say he monkees around) for the challenge. There is no way I could do that many again next year, though. I am going to stick with my DVDs as much as possible next year.... I don't think I can handle 4 episodes of "Family Matters" in a row!
Old 01-11-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts
A 7th place finish for me at 86, but I hope to watch over 100 next year, thanks again for another fun challenge.
Old 01-11-08, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Next year, I hope to watch more. We'll have to see how things are going at that point. I may end up with less if things are hectic at home or work., but I hope to at lease exceed my score for this year.

Thanks The Monkees. It was a lot of fun.
Old 01-12-08, 01:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LBCrazyFool
Thanks again The Monkees for doing the challenge. My numbers have increased each year. Looking forward to the next one.

One minor detail. I have been left off the results list.

Here is my list:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=30

Didn't watch anything after the Dec. 27. Thanks again!
I'm really sorry, I don't know how that happened. You were in my list I made of the results before I posted, something odd happened, sorry again I will add you.

Also, Chad

You are indeed correct, I wasn't sure when I made the list but I will change that too.
Old 01-12-08, 07:35 AM

Also, Chad

You are indeed correct, I wasn't sure when I made the list but I will change that too.
Incorrect technically of course. If you have two people tied for first, the next spot would be third, not second. Sorry, my OCD can't let things like that slide.

But seriously, everyone who participated is tied for first. It's a challenge, not a contest.

But speaking of numbers, I just did some calculations, and my numbers aren't really all that impressive. I watched 88 short length, 344 sitcom length, 30 hour length, and 49 movie length items (511 actually because I double numbered a couple times in my posts/lists). It works out to approximately 300 hours, or roughly 7 hours a day.

That would only have been good for 11th or so place in the October challenge. So see, I'm not as obsessed as you may think. Check out Chad's OHMC results thread to see some really driven viewers.
Old 01-12-08, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Incorrect technically of course. If you have two people tied for first, the next spot would be third, not second. Sorry, my OCD can't let things like that slide.
Yes, that is exactly true. If two people tie, they are actually tied for two spaces together, the next person should be 2 below what those two people are tied for.

I pointed this out on the Halloween challenge, but I don't think it was ever fixed.
Old 01-12-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I had a good time with this this year, did better than I did in the Horror Challenge.
Old 01-12-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My viewing stopped completely when the family started to trickle in for the holidays, not with the Oscar Challenge!

Congrats Trevor, viewing 509 movies/specials/episodes is just staggering.
Old 01-12-08, 01:18 PM

I'm really sorry, I don't know how that happened. You were in my list I made of the results before I posted, something odd happened, sorry again I will add you.
No problem.

I was able to get through a lot of shows/specials I wouldn't normally watch since my nieces were visiting for the holidays. I am going to shoot for 100 next year.
Old 01-12-08, 06:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for a great contest! I hit both my goals I wanted to hit 100, and I wanted to be in the top 10 (well I wanted to be in the top 5 but didn't think it was possible, so I actually got my original goal). Can't wait for next years, and the Oscar challenge at end of month.
Old 01-12-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great job Trevor... I watched more, but then we got into a Gilmore Girls-a-thon watching all 7 seasons for the beginning of December and I just never got back into it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.