Reload this Page >

Disappointing Criterions

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Disappointing Criterions

Old 08-23-09, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Disappointing Criterions

I just rented THE SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE. What a boring piece of shit film. And I almost blind bought this film based on all the praise of this being considered "the best Spanish film from the 1970s". Good acting by the two main girls, but overall bad flick.
Old 08-24-09, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I just rented THE SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE. What a boring piece of shit film. And I almost blind bought this film based on all the praise of this being considered "the best Spanish film from the 1970s". Good acting by the two main girls, but overall bad flick.
You might want to try "L'Aventurra." I think there are more car crashes in that one. And when I think "piece of shit" films, I think Salo....
Old 08-24-09, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ResIpsa
You might want to try "L'Aventurra." I think there are more car crashes in that one. And when I think "piece of shit" films, I think Salo....
In "L'Aventurra", are there any martial arts and gun fight scenes?

There's some "shit-worthy" scene in Criterion's "Sweet Movie" too (Sweet Movie was a good movie though, I still have to rent Salo and see how bad it is).
Old 08-24-09, 09:57 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

In "L'Aventurra", are there any martial arts and gun fight scenes?

There's some "shit-worthy" scene in Criterion's "Sweet Movie" too (Sweet Movie was a good movie though, I still have to rent Salo and see how bad it is).
Old 10-29-09, 01:14 PM

http://www.viceland.com/blogs/en/200...ttle-fuck-ups/

UGH
Old 10-29-09, 03:09 PM

Salo is not bad, just controversial. I thought it was a wonderful movie.
Old 10-29-09, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WOW I guess one man's trash is anyone man's gold (I own the title).

I love the Frankenstein (1931) tie-in to the story and it's a wonderful flim you should watch it again.
Old 10-30-09, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

I'm gonna have to cast my vote for Days Of Heaven. Just give us a WORD Terry. Please, just say SOMETHING. Also, I would have killed to have seen a current interview with Linda Manz.
Old 11-04-09, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Salo

Bought it for like $700 off Ebay. I watched about half an hour then turned it off and tossed it in the trash.
I am reading this post years after the fact. I do not believe anyone would toss into the trash a DVD that cost as much as SALO cost this poster, hwoever much it actually was. He'd have re-sold it, and gotten his asking price. Why even make a false statement like this on a forum where people know better?
Old 11-04-09, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I don't know if I'd necessarily say that. I'm a big 50's sci-fi fan and I loved Fiend Without A Face. It reminded me of other classic cheese-fests like The Brain from Planet Arous.
FIEND WITHOUT A FACE is one of the films that was regularly shown on t.v. (unut) when I was young. The acting isn't great -- in a few cases it is quite terrible -- and the dialog is mediocre, but damned if the last twenty minutes aren't pretty awesome and (for sixties t.v. broadcast) incredibly graphic. The last quarter of the film, for me, is worth the price of admission, and the Criterion DVD captures it with perfection.
Old 11-04-09, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Good Burger. I mean, come on, this is the same company releasing Seven Samurai, M, and Armageddon...D
There are a great many people on this forum and elsewhere who would insist that GOOD BURGER is infitely superior to ARMAGGEDEN. I have not seen GOOD BURGER, but for my money ARMAGEDDEN and damned near everything having Michael Bay's stamp upon it is second string to films generally acknowledged to be the worst films of all time, such as EEGAH! and MANOS: THE HANDS OF FATE. Obviously this is all a matter of very personal opinion.
Old 11-04-09, 08:33 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I just watched The Last Wave. It was ok, but not something that I'll run out and buy tomorrow. I did recognize an Aboriginal actor that's been in quite a few movies, lately Australia. But they didn't even show any scenery that might have saved the movie. All in all, it was a waste of an hour and 45 minutes.
Old 11-04-09, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shellebelle
I just watched The Last Wave. It was ok, but not something that I'll run out and buy tomorrow. I did recognize an Aboriginal actor that's been in quite a few movies, lately Australia. But they didn't even show any scenery that might have saved the movie. All in all, it was a waste of an hour and 45 minutes.
Those are pretty much my same thoughts on it. I thought the movie was alright, but nothing special and I don't think I would have lost anything by not seeing it.

Originally Posted by Dick
FIEND WITHOUT A FACE is one of the films that was regularly shown on t.v. (unut) when I was young. The acting isn't great -- in a few cases it is quite terrible -- and the dialog is mediocre, but damned if the last twenty minutes aren't pretty awesome and (for sixties t.v. broadcast) incredibly graphic. The last quarter of the film, for me, is worth the price of admission, and the Criterion DVD captures it with perfection.
I just watched Fiend Without a Face about a week or so ago and thought it was a pretty fun movie to watch. Yea, its not a 5-star work of art, but I still had a good time watching it. (And I like '50s and '60s b-movies so it was a treat for me to watch it)
Old 11-06-09, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by WEEDEDOUT
I like most of those movies...
Old 11-07-09, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Agree
Armageddon
Chasing Amy
The Rock
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Last Days of Disco
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Disagree
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Man Bites Dog
The Man Who Fell to Earth
Night on Earth
Old 11-08-09, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He's dead wrong on "The Man Who Fell To Earth" and "Fear and Loathing..." The rest are crap, although for me Wes Anderson's use of Devo's "Gut Feeling" in the soundtrack for "Life Aquatic" makes the film worthwhile.

The comments in that link are brutal