DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Universal remastering titles for their "Franchise Collections"

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-09, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Universal remastering titles for their "Franchise Collections"

Originally Posted by darkhawk
Are these Franchise Collection remastered or only a select few? The Tremors 1-4 did reformat 1-2, but 1 doesn't look remastered.
Maybe "remastered" is the wrong word, they probably used the same source prints but in all cases this is an entirely new transfer with different colors and sharpness and all of that.

A relatively complete list of the altered transfers is obviously on Page 1 of this thread. If it's not listed, it's probably identical to the stand-alone releases. Not every transfer of every film in a "Franchise Collection" has been changed.
Old 09-12-09, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the Clint Eastwood: American Icon Collection, does anyone know, if any, what has been changed for Play Misty For Me?

It says remastered, but are the special features still the same?
Old 09-12-09, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

In the Clint Eastwood: American Icon Collection, does anyone know, if any, what has been changed for Play Misty For Me?

It says remastered, but are the special features still the same?
I have the Eastwood DVD. I haven't stuck the movie in, but Play Misty For Me is on its own disc, so I'm pretty sure it's identical to the existing Collector's Edition with a new disc label. Usually, when Universal remasters a film, it's partially because they're creating a new disc "image" with two movies on one disc.
Old 09-15-09, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Has anyone bought the Chucky Collection? Are they the two-sided flippers or single-sided?
Old 09-16-09, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone bought the Chucky Collection? Are they the two-sided flippers or single-sided?
I have "Chucky The Killer DVD Collection" which includes Childs Play 2-3, and Bride and Seed.

I version I have is from the original run "3-D packaging" (similar to Nightmare Before X-mas) and it is 2 double sided discs, with a movie on each side. Also the Seed of Chucky is the R-rated version and not the Unrated version
Old 09-16-09, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

These being flippers, FYI, there is no difference in quality between the stand-alone editions and the Franchise Collection. The disc "images" are the same ones used for the initial releases.
Old 04-11-10, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great job on the info droidguy1119 and thanks.

Picked up the Michael J. Fox Comedy Favorites Collection and was thinking I was going to return it after noticing the individual release for The Secret of My Success was non-anamorphic. Figured the packaging was erroneous but happened to do a search here and stumbled upon your info.

Anyone happen to have been able to compare how the other three look/sound compared to their individual releases? The DVDTimes review for For Love or Money mention how much better the DTS track is and that wasn't carried over on the collection release so wonder if by chance the DD track on that set might sound better than the one from the individual release.
Old 04-11-10, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Unfortunately, I only have the Michael J. Fox set, and not the older release.
Old 04-11-10, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do you recall whether or not the DD track sounded similar to the following? Either way, thanks again.

http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.u...contentid=6354

The DD 5.1 sounds awfully mono. Ambient sounds are nicely separated across the front speakers but are rarely noticeable in the rear speakers. Dialogue is clear but isn’t directionally used, appearing central and mono throughout. The DTS track is notably much better. It has a lot more depth and detail, and the rear speakers are noticeably active. This track immerses the viewer into the film, whereas the Dolby Digital 5.1 track felt front heavy. Even though this film doesn’t have grandiose explosions to test the home theatre to its maximum, the comparison between the two tracks, really provide a good example of the benefits of DTS. In this instance, the DTS is miles better.
Old 04-11-10, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by acdcrocks1980
I have "Chucky The Killer DVD Collection" which includes Childs Play 2-3, and Bride and Seed.

I version I have is from the original run "3-D packaging" (similar to Nightmare Before X-mas) and it is 2 double sided discs, with a movie on each side. Also the Seed of Chucky is the R-rated version and not the Unrated version
not that it really matters, as there is little to no difference between the 2. There's one very brief extra shot when chucky is masturbating, and theres an extended ending. If your a fan of the series, its well worth getting 'the killer collection'
Old 04-11-10, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
not that it really matters, as there is little to no difference between the 2. There's one very brief extra shot when chucky is masturbating, and theres an extended ending. If your a fan of the series, its well worth getting 'the killer collection'
There are additional extras, though. That said, you can probably find Seed Unrated for a dollar or two now.
Originally Posted by abintra
Do you recall whether or not the DD track sounded similar to the following? Either way, thanks again.

http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.u...contentid=6354
I don't have time to check right this second, but I will within a day or two.

I updated the list with a few odds and ends. I don't think it will ever need to be updated again, sadly.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 04-11-10 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-11-10, 09:02 AM
Banned

The Tremors one is confusing. I read a review that said the movies in the Attack Pack aren't anamorphic, but then I read a review that said they were. Which is it ? Doesn't matter, as I hate flipper discs, but it would be cool to know.
Old 04-11-10, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All are anamorphic in the Attack Pack. Nothing wrong with flipper discs as long as you hold discs by the edge and center.
Old 05-16-10, 09:14 AM

In the Michael J. Fox Comedy Favorites Collection, I think that all of the movies have been remastered. I don't have the single discs of, The Secret Of My Success, Greedy, & For Love Or Money, but I do have the original DVD release of The Hard Way, & the recent release looks WAY Better than the standalone DVD.
Old 08-31-10, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Added Firestarter to the list.
Old 05-12-12, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I honestly never thought I'd have any reason to update this thread, but I just picked up Universal's most recent 4 Movie Marathon Family Comedy DVD and discovered that Ghost Dad is presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, despite being labeled 1.33:1 full frame on the packaging (the correct aspect ratio is listed on the disc art). It's clearly a very old transfer, and it's still missing any scenes that were previously missing (like the power tool almost catching Cosby's foot), but it is in WS.