Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD Journal shuts down - 10 years of dvds perfectly encapsulated

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll miss them as well. I used to work with the editor of that site (and one of the reviewers), so I've always had a special fondness for that site. It will be missed
Old 08-31-07, 01:54 PM
DVDTalk Reviewer Emeritus - Founder of DVD Stalk

Shame to see them go. When I first started collecting DVDs way back when...they were one of the first sites I read religiously.

Congrats to them on many years of great work.
Old 08-31-07, 04:49 PM

Good luck to them and thanks for a quality site and great reviews!
Old 09-01-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
My favorite DVD site (no offense). It will be missed.

You could tell things were going downhill as they stopped having in-depth / long reviews of films, their news were generally a bit old (although always important and concise) and they completely side-stepped the whole HD DVD / BD thing.

Glad they were around. I'm going to have to find a way to archive all their stuff.
Old 09-02-07, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
This is the first I had heard of the site. I guess I missed the boat on this one. It's too bad something so respected is moving on.

Such is life, I suppose.
Old 09-04-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Great site. Sad to see it go. But as someone who used to write DVD reviews (here and elsewhere), I can tell you that it *does* take a great deal of time and commitment if you want to barely do more than a half-assed job at it. Factor in family, work, commitments, etc. and then you're lucky if you have time to piss on yourself if you find your crotch engulfed in flames.

But I always liked DVD Journal. That along with The Digital Bits, Steve Tannehill's DVD Resource page, and DVD File, were the first stops I went to when I first got into DVD technology in the late spring/summer of 1998. For those of you who were too young to remember, that time 1998/1999 was a truly exciting era for the nascent technology... especially if, like myself, you were an avid Laserdisc collector and were paying upwards of $120 dollars for fully-packed (and mammothly sized) special editions that, on DVD, maybe retailed for $29.95.

Hasta la pasta and valla con pollo, DVD Journal. Thanks for the memories. You can extend the illusion of space around the groin via canoe
Old 10-05-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In terms of reviews, DVD Journal was as good as it gets (with the reviewers here running a close second). I'm saddened by the site's demise. Their goodbye letter/essay on the history of dvd is outstanding and representative of their reviews. I guess this leaves me with only DVD Talk as my sole internet outlet for my ongoing dvd addiction.