Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I Love Lucy: The Complete Series details!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

I Love Lucy: The Complete Series details!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-07, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Love Lucy: The Complete Series details! Pics of packaging added!

HUGE NEWS for people waiting on this!

As you may or may not know, I Love Lucy: The Complete Series is being released on October 23rd.

Today, information on the new bonus material has been released, and it is going to be an AWESOME set!

SitcomsOnline.com has posted the information we've all been waiting for! The I Love Lucy information is towards the bottom of the page!

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/20...ds-update.html

To sum it up:

All 9 seasons (Season 1-6 of I Love Lucy, with Season 7, 8,9 containing all 13 episodes of The Lucille Ball-Dezi Arnaz Comedy Hour), for a total of 194 episodes!

I Love Lucy: The Movie (1953) with never-before-released scenes!

The first colorized episode of I Love Lucy: Lucy Goes To Scotland!

I Love Lucy at the 6th Annual Emmy Awards (1954)!

Highlights of Lucy and Desi's First Joint TV Appearance (1949)

The Lost Pilot and all 35 Episodes of the First Season digitally restored!

All of this on top of the extras from each season set that has been released.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The front of the box can be seen, here:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7631

The back of the box art can be seen, here:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...1&d=1186680496

Last edited by MadonnasManOne; 10-24-07 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Pictures of set added to thread.
Old 08-09-07, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
While I do LOVE LUCY, I can only take a few episodes at a time. Waaaaaaa! Sounds pretty cool for avid fans.
Old 08-09-07, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I already own three of the individual releases and I'm not sure if its worth selling them to purchase the big set, or just cash-in on the cheapness of the remaining sets once this comes out...
Old 08-10-07, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I already own three of the individual releases and I'm not sure if its worth selling them to purchase the big set, or just cash-in on the cheapness of the remaining sets once this comes out...
Well, the price for this set is likely going to be going for around $175.00-$200.00 in stores, when first released. Amazon has it for pre-order at $217.XX, the last time I checked. To me, the price is right.

I am glad that I held off on purchasing the individual season sets. I own a couple of the volume releases, which have season 1 episodes on them, which I got for cheap. So, this is a perfect choice for me. I am very excited about this set. I Love Lucy is one of my favorite shows, and I am looking forward to finally adding it to my collection.

I would say, for you, it depends on how much you really value the show. If you are a huge fan of it, and want all of the bonus material you can get, then this set is the way to go. You could sell the season sets you have, and save up for the big set. If, on the other hand, you don't really have to have all of the bonus material, then it might be good for you to complete your collection with the individual sets, providing that you can get them at a decent price.
Old 08-10-07, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
While I do LOVE LUCY, I can only take a few episodes at a time. Waaaaaaa! Sounds pretty cool for avid fans.
Desi Arnaz & William Frawley are excellent but Lucille Ball grates on the nerves after awhile. This is one of the few shows I wouldn't pick up on DVD, ever. It is nice that the "Complete Series" is being released for avid Lucy fans but for the people who have bought all the seasons individually I hope that the bonus features that arn't on the individual releases get a special bonus DVD release like the did with M*A*S*H.
Old 08-10-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I already own all the season sets, and while these extras sound nice, they're not enough to get me to sell them, and shell out even more for the complete set. I really wish studios would quit punishing us fans who buy the individual seasons as they release them. I understand why they do it from a business standpoint, of course, but it still pisses me off when it happens.

Rob
Old 08-10-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow what a kick in the pants for the loyal fans. I picked up each season as individuallty released, and now not only do they include exclusive extras in this box, they remaster Season One - something they should've done for the indivisual release!
Old 08-10-07, 11:21 AM

I really hope that I Love Lucy: The Movie (1953) will be released separately...it would really suck for fans if it wasn't.
Old 08-10-07, 05:54 PM

I only have seasons 1-2 and I love the show. This might be a good birthday or Christmas present to myself
Old 08-10-07, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by thursdaynighter
I really hope that I Love Lucy: The Movie (1953) will be released separately...it would really suck for fans if it wasn't.
I'm a big believer that studios should allow fans a chance to purchase the boxes/new features from complete series sets for a fee (to cover shipping/handling/production). I mean just have us fill out an online form and mail in prof-of-purchase tabs or something...

But from what I've heard about the movie its just 4 episodes edited together with about 7 minutes of new footage... sure it would be interesting to view, but I doubt I'd pay more than a few dollars for it alone.
Old 08-10-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Let there be no mistake, it IS a kick in the pants. We've had numerous 'volumes' for season 1, and then a boxed set as large as Kentucky for those, and the rest of the seasons in normal slim case packaging. THEN they re-release season 1 in slimcase packaging, and now we get a boxed set with newly remastered season 1 stuff? Give me a break. Season 1 better be available AGAIN seperately with the remastered stuff, although I just about guarantee that won't be happening.
Old 08-10-07, 11:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
What in the hell is I Love Lucy: The Movie? I've never heard of this.

P.S. I doubt it will be released separately since The Brady Bunch TV movies haven't been yet. They were included on the series set.
Old 08-11-07, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees
What in the hell is I Love Lucy: The Movie? I've never heard of this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Love_Lucy_%28film%29

Love Lucy was a 1953 feature film spin-off of the immensely popular sitcom I Love Lucy. Except for one test screening in Bakersfield, California, the film was never theatrically released and was shelved.

The film consisted of three first-season episodes edited together: "The Benefit", "Breaking the Lease" and "The Ballet". In the opening scene, Desi Arnaz speaks to the studio audience and introduces the cast, just as he would do at every filming of the show. Additional scenes featuring the cast were filmed and put between the episodes to tie them into one cohesive story. Eight minutes of newly shot fooatge were added for the beginning of the film and an additional five minutes were added to the end.[1]. Just as he would always do, Arnaz thanks the audience at the end and brings the cast out for a curtain call.

A test screening in Bakersfield, California went very well and Desilu prepared to release the film. But MGM demanded the movie be shelved because they felt it would diminish interest in The Long, Long Trailer which Lucy and Desi were contractually bound to promote. The I Love Lucy movie was ultimately forgotten.

But in 2001, the film was found and clips of it were featured in I Love Lucy's 50th Anniversary Special. A screening was held in August 2001 at the 5th Loving Lucy fan convention in Burbank, California.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Love_Lucy_%28film%29

OLD ARTICLE:

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve...7C1%7C,00.html

Lucy Fans To See Lost Film
By Mike Szymanski

The soundstage where almost exactly half a century ago a funny red-head first shouted "Hey Ricky" was dedicated and dubbed "The Lucy Stage" on Thursday, kicking off the 50th Anniversary of "I Love Lucy."
The stage, film and TV starlet will be honored by about 3,000 fans gathering in Hollywood and Burbank over the next weekend for the fifth annual Loving Lucy Convention.

Among the things the Lucy fans will discuss and see is a Lucy Movie seen for the first time since its premiere screening in Bakersfield, Calif. decades ago. The long-lost film is actually three episodes of "I Love Lucy" that were created to bring the TV show to more audiences who may not have had access to TV, said one of convention organizers, Michael Stern.

"There are eight minutes of footage added at the opening and five minutes at the end, and there is some dispute as to who actually owns the film," said Stern, who is known as the ultimate Lucy fan, so dubbed when he met the startlet as a 12-year-old boy. In later years he went to her house to play her favorite game -- backgammon. He has since helped on many books, documentaries, conventions, memorabilia shows and the Universal Studios backlot museum dedicated to Lucy.

The film was never released after the first screening because studio execs decided to make a full-length feature in color and that became Ball's film "The Long, Long Trailer" (1954).

They will also be honoring Lucy's TV editor Dann Cahn, who found the lost footage of the recovered movie being shown.

The conventioners will have a bus tour through Hollywood, showing the spots where some of the wackiest moments happened on the TV show (stealing John Wayne's footprints from the Chinese Theatre and chasing celebs at the Brown Derby or by the pool of the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel).

The weekend at the Burbank Hilton will have 75 vendors selling Lucy memorabilia, there will be panels of stars, writers, directors and experts, a trivia contest, a Lucy auction, a screening room and gallery.

"People come every year from all over the world, from Australia, Europe and everywhere," said Stern.

Convention organizer Rick Carl, who along with author and conference mastermind Tom Watson, said he was particularly thrilled about the dedication of the studio, which may help preserve a piece of Hollywood history.

"We had Johnny Grant (the unofficial Mayor of Hollywood) come out to dedicate the building and now the plaque is there for the whole world to see," Carl said.

Soundstage 2 at the Hollywood Center Studios, 1040 Las Palmas Ave. in Hollywood is where on Oct. 15 in 1951, Ball shot the first of her successful TV shows. The staged housed the show until 1953 when they bought their own studio space and created Desilu Productions.

There's a plaque now commemorating the spot at the stage, near the large gray elephant doors opening into the studio.

Loving Lucy is open to the public and is held at the Hilton Burbank Airport and Convention Center. The Lucy hotline is (818) 843-6000 or go to www.LucyFan.com.

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve...7C1%7C,00.html
Old 08-11-07, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BTW, there was another thread on this release a couple of weeks ago...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=506003

Maybe one of our distinguished moderators can merge these topics?
Old 08-12-07, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I guess I'm not so interested anyhow if it's just some season one episodes edited together with a little additional footage. That certainly doesn't justify rebuying this whole series.
Old 10-19-07, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This comes out next Tuesday. Does anyone know which b&m store has the lowest price?
Old 10-23-07, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good luck finding this set in stores. I went to Best Buy, at open this morning, and they told me that the set was only offered online. Went to Circuit City, against my better judgement, and same story. I had to get to work, and I was very disappointed that I was unable to buy this. I really didn't want to order it online, and wait for it to get here. I was planning to watch this during my vacation. Anyway, I get to work, and I decided I would try calling the Super Target and Wal-Mart. I called the only Super Target we have in town, and after holding for electronics for what seemed an eternity, I finally spoke to an employee. He said that he knew he had seen a couple of them on the shelf, and that he thinks they were the only two they got in. I asked if he could check if they had any of them left, and to my surprise, he said there was one left on the shelf! I was so excited. I asked if it was possible for him to hold it, until I got off work. He said that, because it wasn't in the ad, he could hold it. He asked my name, told me to go to electronics when I get off of work, and tell them my name. I was so thankful. The best part? The set was priced at $139.99! That's $50.00 cheaper than BestBuy.com, Target.com, CircuitCity.com, and Amazon.com had it priced at! I was so very happy! Needless to say, as soon as I got off of work, I went to pick it up. I also saw the pre-order deal they have for Super Mario Galaxy, which is a special gift card (which is a 3-D lenticular type card), and the Super Mario Galaxy coin, which you get when you pick up the game. So, I paid the $5.00 reservation, which is applied to the gift card, and will get the game and coin once it is released!

The packaging for I Love Lucy: The Complete Series is interesting, and easy to access. There is a thin, clear plastic box, which features the various images of Lucy, surrounding the box set. Once you open it up, there is a clear plastic topper, which is shaped around the top of the box, and top of the heart. Removing that, you then need to take the heart shaped cover off of the box, and inside you find a nice booklet, detailing each season set, and the contents of the discs. The set is split into two halves, which are flat at the bottom, and circular shape at the top. You actually open each half sort of like a soft cd case, where each disc slips into the paper holders, and are kept from moving around when the case is closed. There are no snaps, or straps, but, when they are in the package, they will certainly not move around. The first half contains the bonus disc, as well as Seasons 1-3. The second half contains Seasons 4-9. It's not the greatest packaging in the world, but, it is fairly thin, and I will be able to display it, easily. I am going to try to get pictures of the set, as soon as possible, so I can share them with you.

Anyway, I'm so excited to finally have all of I Love Lucy on DVD! One of my top favorite shows, and I was basically reduced to catching it on TV Land, with their edits, and all. Now, I can watch the full, digitally remastered shows, any time I want!

Last edited by MadonnasManOne; 10-23-07 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-23-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
Good luck finding this set in stores. I went to Best Buy, at open this morning, and they told me that the set was only offered online. Went to Circuit City, against my better judgement, and same story. I had to get to work, and I was very disappointed that I was unable to buy this. I really didn't want to order it online, and wait for it to get here. I was planning to watch this during my vacation. Anyway, I get to work, and I decided I would try calling the Super Target and Wal-Mart. I called the only Super Target we have in town, and after holding for electronics for what seemed an eternity, I finally spoke to an employee. He said that he knew he had seen a couple of them on the shelf, and that he thinks they were the only two they got in. I asked if he could check if they had any of them left, and to my surprise, he said there was one left on the shelf! I was so excited. I asked if it was possible for him to hold it, until I got off work. He said that, because it wasn't in the ad, he could hold it. He asked my name, told me to go to electronics when I get off of work, and tell them my name. I was so thankful. The best part? The set was priced at $139.99! That's $50.00 cheaper than BestBuy.com, Target.com, CircuitCity.com, and Amazon.com had it priced at! I was so very happy! Needless to say, as soon as I got off of work, I went to pick it up. I also saw the pre-order deal they have for Super Mario Galaxy, which is a special gift card (which is a 3-D lenticular type card), and the Super Mario Galaxy coin, which you get when you pick up the game. So, I paid the $5.00 reservation, which is applied to the gift card, and will get the game and coin once it is released!

The packaging for I Love Lucy: The Complete Series is interesting, and easy to access. There is a thin, clear plastic box, which features the various images of Lucy, surrounding the box set. Once you open it up, there is a clear plastic topper, which is shaped around the top of the box, and top of the heart. Removing that, you then need to take the heart shaped cover off of the box, and inside you find a nice booklet, detailing each season set, and the contents of the discs. The set is split into two halves, which are flat at the bottom, and circular shape at the top. You actually open each half sort of like a soft cd case, where each disc slips into the paper holders, and are kept from moving around when the case is closed. There are no snaps, or straps, but, when they are in the package, they will certainly not move around. The first half contains the bonus disc, as well as Seasons 1-3. The second half contains Seasons 4-9. It's not the greatest packaging in the world, but, it is fairly thin, and I will be able to display it, easily. I am going to try to get pictures of the set, as soon as possible, so I can share them with you.

Anyway, I'm so excited to finally have all of I Love Lucy on DVD! One of my top favorite shows, and I was basically reduced to catching it on TV Land, with their edits, and all. Now, I can watch the full, digitally remastered shows, any time I want!
I saw this at Costco this afternoon for $139 and it is certainly an attractive set. Unfortunately, since I have already purchased all of the season sets individually, barring a legitimate reason, I cannot justify the double dip.
Old 10-23-07, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the packaging of the seasons boxsets and I'll be sticking with that. Nice of them to screw loyal fans like this with exclusives though.
Old 10-23-07, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
I was at a Target today and saw the shelf tag for the set. None were there though. Eventually I'd like to invest in this. I've avoided the season sets for this reason. I believe we'll see an Amazon Deal of the Day for this in the future, so I'm hopeful of getting it cheaper than the current price. Besides if I bought it today, it would just be added to my huge unwatched pile...so I'll continue to patient!
Old 10-24-07, 12:15 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jmj713
I love the packaging of the seasons boxsets and I'll be sticking with that. Nice of them to screw loyal fans like this with exclusives though.
That's how it is nowadays, I bought 6 of the 8 seasons of Full House and then learned about the complete series. Usually I don't do this, but I sold my 6 seasons for money now (this was July, I believe) and will buy the new one when it comes out.
Old 10-24-07, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
*snip* It's not the greatest packaging in the world, but, it is fairly thin, and I will be able to display it, easily. I am going to try to get pictures of the set, as soon as possible, so I can share them with you.

I'd love to see pictures of the packaging. I plan to get this for my mother and she has many visitors, so I'd like to see if the packaging will hold up or if I should transfer the disks to sturdier cases for her use.

The set sounds awesome! Glad that you were able to find it in-store.
Old 10-24-07, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sparrow
I'd love to see pictures of the packaging. I plan to get this for my mother and she has many visitors, so I'd like to see if the packaging will hold up or if I should transfer the disks to sturdier cases for her use.

The set sounds awesome! Glad that you were able to find it in-store.
I'm going to try to get some pics while I am at work, today. We have a Canon 20D, and it takes awesome pictures. Provided that I have the time, I'll snap some pics, and I'll post them up, either at work, or later this evening, when I get home.
Old 10-24-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here you go! Enjoy! For some reason, Photobucket didn't put them into order, but, it doesn't matter. You can figure it out!

Old 10-24-07, 01:10 PM

Did they redo the the comedy hours that were edited?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.