Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the last VHS you purchased and what's your excuse?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What is the last VHS you purchased and what's your excuse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-07, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I was out with a friend on Thanksgiving Eve last year, and we stopped in a small video store that was selling off their VHS cheap. I found copies of Zapped! and No Holds Barred, so with no DVDs in sight I picked em up.
Old 06-21-07, 05:25 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought Batman: The Movie with Adam West. Cost me $1, and I thought it would be a funny thing to buy.
Old 06-21-07, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3 years ago I was taking my usual 2 weeks off in August & I love to go to Sioux Narrows & Nestors falls (Northern, Ontario, Canada) for the time off I get so while I was in Nestor falls I wasn't feeling that great so I decided to buy a movie at the local video store which is also a food store (small towns) & they only had like maybe 14 different movies so I ended up buying Bad Boys on VHS for $2.50.
I left it there accidentally & I ended up buying it on DVD when I got home a week & 1/2 later for $15.
Old 06-21-07, 12:52 PM

The Toy Story Limited Edition Video Edition. It was $10 dollars on Ebay, so I figured I'd go for it. It's got lenticular artwork of the movie cover, another VHS called "The Story Behind 'Toy Story'" (same content as the DVD?), a book showcasing early concepts and pre-production designs, and a COA. It's in this huge silver case, and it's quite cool.
Old 06-21-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably the Star Wars Trilogy limited edition, as a gift for my dad.
This was probably about 7-8 years ago.

Although recently I re-bought an exercise tape for my wife.
It was her favorite one (from 1994) and will likely never make it to DVD.
Old 06-21-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spartacus, bought in 1999 for a friend.
Old 06-21-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It was Star Wars The Phantom Menace Letterbox version. This was back when Lucas was anti dvd.
Old 06-21-07, 02:47 PM
Cool New Member

Conqeror Worm for $1 at Deals and the same day Adventures Of A Private Eye from a video store for $2. I just gave the Conqueror Worm tape to a friend because he wanted to see it to see if he would buy the DVD when it comes out later this year. I told him to just keep it circulating amongst out friends.
Old 06-21-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
It was Star Wars The Phantom Menace Letterbox version. This was back when Lucas was anti dvd.
I got the Phantom Menace Collectors's Edition at Toys R Us before they closed the door for good at my town. It's come with a beautiful 48-page "Art of Episode 1" book and a 35mm film strip. Nice looking set.
Old 06-21-07, 08:24 PM

20 Dates (documentary) because 1) it was pre-viewed and cheap and 2) still is not available on DVD. Great flick!
Old 08-08-17, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: What is the last VHS you purchased and what's your excuse?

Recently purchased Beastmaster 2 & 3 due to them not yet being available on DVD/BR/UHD
Old 08-08-17, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever and a weird-looking Disney Pooh Corner show dated 1983, 25 cents each.
Old 08-08-17, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

People have given me VHS copies of films since my last purchase, but the last VHS I actually bought and paid for was through Amazon: CHINA (1943), an Alan Ladd war film that I needed to see for a piece I was writing. That was in August 2013. Ironically, the title came out on DVD at the end of that month and I didn't realize it until much later.

Before that, the last VHS purchases in stores were all used tapes of Japanese pop music concerts found at Book Off for very low prices (some were $1 each).
Old 08-08-17, 03:01 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I got an original release of John Waters' Pink Flamingos. This one has the original soundtrack and is unmatted. Before that was Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny. Because..well, it's Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lyz6lkOlhqg?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-08-17, 03:19 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Bought an uncut version of Dellamorte Dellamore more than a decade ago because there was no DVD release at the time. It was the only VHS I ever bought.
Old 08-08-17, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I bought a couple blank tapes a while back that I intended to use but couldn't get my VCR to work with my cable equipment. Before those I bought a couple from a local video store that was going out of business. Mainly because they were cheap and for nostalgia purposes. I think they were Escape From Alcatraz, Fright Night, Fright Night 2, Prince of Darkness, Rosemary's Baby, and another that I can't remember off hand.
Old 08-08-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I have Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny on VHS, in a big clamshell case, but it's on DVD now with a Rifftrax as well. Wondering how the quality of the DVD is and if the Thumbelina segment is from the same print, on the VHS it's clearly from another reel in much better quality than the rest of the movie.
Old 08-08-17, 08:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Isn't there still a VHS/disc combo release every year or so for some retro low budget horror film?

Here's something in Wikipedia:

However, there have been a few exceptions. For example, The House of the Devil was released on VHS in 2010 as an Amazon-exclusive deal, in keeping with the film's intent to mimic 1980s horror films.[59] The horror film V/H/S/2 was released as a combo in North America that included a VHS tape in addition to a Blu-ray and a DVD copy on September 24, 2013.
Old 08-08-17, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I have Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny on VHS, in a big clamshell case, but it's on DVD now with a Rifftrax as well. Wondering how the quality of the DVD is and if the Thumbelina segment is from the same print, on the VHS it's clearly from another reel in much better quality than the rest of the movie.
I'd assume the movie always looked like that. The Barry Mahon part (Thumbelina) was most likely just filmed on better stock than the newer Santa Claus stuff.
Old 08-09-17, 01:54 AM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny wasn't on DVD when I bought it, of course. Riff Trax actually has BOTH versions of Ice Cream Bunny. The older one had Thumbelina and the newer one has Jack and the Beanstalk.

I had a Horrror Trailer compilation I got from my friend's brother and at the end it had the Santa Trailer. I was then obsessed with finding that movie. I even found the One Sheet Poster. It took me twelve years to track the VHS down. I then uploaded it on a "collector's" site for obscure, trashy movies in 2008 (I didn't realize it had been nearly 10 years ago since I bought my penultimate VHS, til just now). This site is well known among obscure, trashy movie collectors (Video Watchdog's Tim Lucas was a member and wrote about it several times). It wasn't too much longer after I uploaded it that it appeared on Riff Trax. This is a really obscure film. I suspect that someone at Rifftrax (or I like to think) saw the posting and went with it. Who knows. It could happen.

For the record, Pink Flamingos purchase was maybe 2-3 years ago.
Old 08-09-17, 05:27 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I started to replace my VHS movies with DVDs probably close to 10 years ago, decided in early 2014 (or so) that I was going to try to sell the VHS on Ebay, opted to sell them as a lot. They didn't sell for quite awhile, I really didn't expect them to but I was hoping. Mine were primarily sci-fi and horror so it would be that type of genre-seeking person who would buy them. One day in mid 2014 my wife and I were at a church garage sale, I saw Kull the Conquerer and Apollo 13, unopened, for 25¢ ea., decided to add them to the lot for sale, made it an even 50. Couple of months later they sold.

Last edited by kd5; 08-09-17 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-09-17, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

There's a guy in my home state of Mississippi who's had a show on Mississippi Public Broadcasting for years called Mississippi Roads. Every show is made up of four or five segments wherein he visits an interesting place in Mississippi or interviews an interesting person. Over the years, he's done quite a few segments on haunted places in Mississippi.

In the '90s, he released several VHS tapes of various segments of the show in a kind of "best of" format called "Mississippi Seen." He also released one tape, called "Ghost Stories," which compiled thirteen of his favorite segments about Mississippi hauntings.

Back in the spring, I found a copy of that tape at a library sale and snagged it for fifty cents. I'd seen it before, probably years ago, but it's never been released on DVD. I had to have it.

Here's a more recent Walt Grayson segment about ghost hunters to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

Old 08-24-17, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Bought

The Believers
Subspecies 1 and 2
And two others im drawung blank.. from an online auction on facebook.
Old 11-09-19, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

I bought the bullet and finally picked up one of the old Elvira tapes, I have always wanted one.

Old 11-10-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

It's been over a year since I found it at a thrift store, but I still think it's kinda neat.

Three tapes and a booklet.

Centerfold of the book. Also has notes about the movies and stuff.

This and some Star Wars tapes are the only VHS we have left.