Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD bootlegs, how does one know?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-07, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by logboy
they could still sell a mix of official and boot discs - there's a picture on the front page at that site for severins R1 (issued about now) of 'laure' for example - but it doesnt mean problem solved as far as how legit the entire contents of a site is, as is often the case... ebay, amazon etc.
Thanks for the help
Old 06-11-07, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by mrhan
Region 0 doesn't automatically mean bootleg. There are quite a few legit DVDs that are region 0 NTSC that are imported into the States. You just have to research and use sites such as dvdcompare.net to see if it is indeed a legit R0 release.
^^Precisely. Tons and tons of official Hong Kong and Korean releases are R0 NTSC. R0 definitely does not inherently indicate a bootleg. Many American releases, such as some from Anchor Bay, are also R0.
Old 06-11-07, 04:44 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Macho King is guilty of buying and unwittingly supporting these theives. A few years ago, all my buddies were clamouring about a little movie called Ong Bak and all the talk got me interested. But being region handicapped then, I needed one with English subs and R0 compatibility. After months with no luck, Macho King was refferred to ebay and found one for $10. Great deal right? Yeah, because it was a fucking bootleg with terrible chinglish subs and a bunch of French and Japanese text on the cover. Thats not the only case: Last year, Macho King purchased a copy of Battle Royale off amazon, a reliable online retailer. Sadly though, after doing a bit of research, Macho King found out it was indeed a bootleg because BR hadn't been released (and still hasn't been) in the USA. These bootleg punks deserve an elbow drop from the top rope. I can definitely dig that brothers!!!

Ooooooooh Yeeaaaah!!!!!
Old 06-11-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Careful, you slipped out of third person there a few times.
Old 06-12-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SexyToad
Well, let me try once more. Has anyone ever bought a DVD from RareLicensedDVDs.com? I have seen a few DVDs from there that are quite appealing.
Looking at that site, I don't think I'd buy anything from them. Not only are their prices ridiculously high, almost every DVD on their is suspect. If they are the only ones who sell a title, import or not, chances are it's not legit.
Old 08-22-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDVDCompare
I would recommend being wary of these companies:
Archives of Studio Ghibli
Blax
Red Sun
Spazmondo
Unit World Movie
I'd add Euro Cult to this list. In the e-mail newsletter I just got from hkflix, they have some links to some new stuff of theirs and they must be bootlegs. My question is, how do they get away with this?
You can google just about any greatly-desired-but-unreleased-on-DVD movie and find several companies selling bootlegs. These appear to be US-based companies selling discs in the US. Why do legitimate studios bother paying for the rights to a movie when you can just release it without any legal repercussions?

Sorry if this has already been discussed, I did a search and didn't find anything.
Old 08-22-07, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also add

Substance
Jef Films
Televista

despite the fact Amazon and DVDempire carry their stuff, they are a bootlegged stuff, all taken from beat up ex-rental vhs tapes.
Old 08-22-07, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, let me try once more. Has anyone ever bought a DVD from RareLicensedDVDs.com? I have seen a few DVDs from there that are quite appealing. A mod deleted a link to a DVD there on suspicion of it being a bootleg. I am not linking DVDs there now, and I am a little hazy on the rules as to this. I am only seeking information about DVDs. How else can I know without asking?

*censorship is the assassination of an idea*

Please don't start bringing banner signatures in here. It is one of the reasons why I love this forum.
Old 08-23-07, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I'd add Euro Cult to this list. In the e-mail newsletter I just got from hkflix, they have some links to some new stuff of theirs and they must be bootlegs. My question is, how do they get away with this?
You can google just about any greatly-desired-but-unreleased-on-DVD movie and find several companies selling bootlegs. These appear to be US-based companies selling discs in the US. Why do legitimate studios bother paying for the rights to a movie when you can just release it without any legal repercussions?

Sorry if this has already been discussed, I did a search and didn't find anything.

there;s something i've always wanted clarification on, because lots of folk in america seem to have ideas about public domain material - specifically the idea that if a film isn't copyrighted for release in america, it's not covered by copyright in america, full stop....
Old 08-23-07, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mosskeeto
If it's Out Of Print and being sold on e-Bay you can be 95%+ positive it's a bootleg.
I'm happy my OOP Snow White set (not from ebay but Amazon Marketplace) is legit then. Definitely is as the ring ID is genuine.
Old 08-23-07, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since store fronts are being thrown into the mix as examples of bootleggers, could we not also include a list of known ebay sellers that do this? Is there already a list for this here? Would this be considered slanderous?

There's one user on eBay that used to have a tie in to Red Sun distribution, "Stiller .." something or rather. IIRC he was the main operator of Red Sun. I don't believe he's running under that name on eBay any longer.

A list like this should be pinned.

Last edited by visitor Q; 08-23-07 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-23-07, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

RareLicensedDVDs.com is probably one of the most interesting dvd sites I have ever seen. I love the way they review the films there. Out of the DVDs that I've seen that they do sell at this place, they do look like the official dvds.
Old 08-23-07, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by visitor Q
Since store fronts are being thrown into the mix as examples of bootleggers, could we not also include a list of known ebay sellers that do this? Is there already a list for this here? Would this be considered slanderous?

There's one user on eBay that used to have a tie in to Red Sun distribution, "Stiller .." something or rather. IIRC he was the main operator of Red Sun. I don't believe he's running under that name on eBay any longer.

A list like this should be pinned.
I strongly second that. Great and useful idea.
Old 08-23-07, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Giggles
I strongly second that. Great and useful idea.
Yes! Very good idea. I seldomly buy DVDs from Ebay, but when I do I am very careful. If there is the stock photo, I just avoid it. I also ask the seller specific questions. Same with CDs. I've been screwed a couple of times, but now I know what questions to ask (in the case of CDs). Luckily haven't had a bad DVD experience.

About a year ago, though, (a bit more, probably), my wife found a website selling complete sets of TV series. She wanted The Addams Family. this was before the official DVDs were released. They were expensive. I said, "bootlegs, plain and simple, no goddamn way". I refuse to pay a penny for something that is most likely sourced from crappy EP VHS TV recordings. I actually e-mailed the site and they responded to me! Said some bollocks like, "our DVDs are official and reputable, our guarantee" or some such baloney.
As someone else asked, how can sites like this exist??
Old 08-23-07, 01:29 PM
Cool New Member

I fell for this when impatiently waiting for Lady Vengeance to be released in the US. Found a copy on Amazon months before US release, and pulled the trigger. Received a really shitty looking case with even harder to read text, cheap factory seal tape at the top, and when I popped it into the player, there were no notifications that this DVD had anything to do with the supposed "Chinese distribution company." It was basically a rip from the Korean release.

Took a bit of fighting and I got my money back. The seller even accused me of knowing way too much about bootlegs (I used to live in Indonesia, these were basically the only thing available) and called me out as suspicious. Then she started in with the threats and name calling, so I just happily forwarded everything to Amazon rather than reply.
Old 08-23-07, 01:47 PM

Yeah, Amazon seems to be very good that way.
Old 08-25-07, 12:52 AM

I recently had one of my few posts censored because the DVD I linked to was considered by a moderator to be a bootleg. But, how does one know what titles are bootlegs and what are legit releases? Have you been burned buying bootlegs from online retailers?
Probably the easiest way is to check title availability on Amazon. If it has 'not available' or 'email me when this title becomes available' then it is not legitimately released for this region.
Also, remember a couple of titles that you just know have never been released on DVD like Electric Dreams and Song of the South. Any site offering these sells bootleg DVDs.