Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

20 Million Miles To Earth - 50th Anniv. Edition! IN COLOR

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-07, 09:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Damn! I was at the booth on Sunday for about 40 minutes. My old science fiction high school teacher was the moderator for the "Rays" panel. Sorry I didn't show up the day before!

I heard Clive was really messed up (had to be helped on/off the stage of the panel he was on). I didn't even know he was there!
what's his story? His health seems to be deteriorating.
Old 08-01-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giles
what's his story? His health seems to be deteriorating.
I'm assuming he was just very, very wasted. I've been hearing stories for 20 years now that whenever he does signings, he has a quart of Jack Daniels on the table and finishes the bottle by the end of the signing.
Old 08-01-07, 12:16 PM

I'm assuming he was just very, very wasted. I've been hearing stories for 20 years now that whenever he does signings, he has a quart of Jack Daniels on the table and finishes the bottle by the end of the signing.

that's really sad and unfortunate because of the few early book signings I've met him he was very chipper and engaging.
Old 08-01-07, 12:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I compared the last edition to this new one and the new one is darker and shows a slight bit more info on the sides. It's a tad clearer too but with less grain.

I have the statue from, can't think of the company (hopefully Columbia approved) and was comparing the colors that they put on their statue and what Harryhausen had them color his Yemir. The eye flaps were different and a lot of the other greens.

Some scenes looked great, such as the sky, but I think they could have done better with the greens...they didn't look right. It seems that when they colorize, the matte shots really show up, but not in the b&w version.

All in all, it was a good double dip...but I wish they had brought it out in HD, maybe someday.
Old 08-01-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I was last in line, so I can't even tell what he wrote.
Old 08-01-07, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by sparks
I compared the last edition to this new one and the new one is darker and shows a slight bit more info on the sides. It's a tad clearer too but with less grain.

I have the statue from, can't think of the company (hopefully Columbia approved) and was comparing the colors that they put on their statue and what Harryhausen had them color his Yemir. The eye flaps were different and a lot of the other greens.

Some scenes looked great, such as the sky, but I think they could have done better with the greens...they didn't look right. It seems that when they colorize, the matte shots really show up, but not in the b&w version.

All in all, it was a good double dip...but I wish they had brought it out in HD, maybe someday.
don't count on it being released on HD-DVD it's a Sony release, the Bluray though will come out in December - why the long wait?!?
Old 08-01-07, 02:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I wish I knew how to post a picture. I have one of Harryhausen and myself when he stopped by my home a few years back. He was signing his last book by a store a mile from me and I talked his producer friend into having them stop by. The reason why was I have dedicated my home theater to all of his films. I have all his original movie posters from "Mighty Joe Young to Clash of the Titans."

He thought it was pretty cool and I was thrilled that he thought so and even agreed to stop by. The first thing he did when he got inside my theater room was he wanted to use the toilet. My son said that we wouldn't be able to flush the toilet now...how offen does a icon pee in your toilet???
Old 08-01-07, 03:11 PM

who knew Ray did house calls

awesome
Old 08-01-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sparks
I wish I knew how to post a picture. I have one of Harryhausen and myself when he stopped by my home a few years back. He was signing his last book by a store a mile from me and I talked his producer friend into having them stop by. The reason why was I have dedicated my home theater to all of his films. I have all his original movie posters from "Mighty Joe Young to Clash of the Titans."

He thought it was pretty cool and I was thrilled that he thought so and even agreed to stop by. The first thing he did when he got inside my theater room was he wanted to use the toilet. My son said that we wouldn't be able to flush the toilet now...how offen does a icon pee in your toilet???
He didn't flush his own pee? Typical Hollywood types...