Reload this Page >

Program very similar to DVD Profiler?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-21-07, 04:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

so i love DVD Profiler, but alas since my PC is ancient i cannot upgrade to its' new 3.0 and now i run a defunct 2.5 with no more contributions ever to be posted.

so is there a program that is very similar, has the same web access and look, and that i can simply import my downloaded catalog??

please. i am desparate.
Old 05-21-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless I'm mistaken, I heard they were merging the two databases, so 3.0 contributions will be able to be downloaded into 2.x versions.

Failing that, use Movie Collector http://www.collectorz.com/?from=goog...FQJMYgod43Cm7A
Old 05-21-07, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
Unless I'm mistaken, I heard they were merging the two databases, so 3.0 contributions will be able to be downloaded into 2.x versions.

Failing that, use Movie Collector http://www.collectorz.com/?from=goog...FQJMYgod43Cm7A
i don't think that merge will let me update contributions to 2.5, i think it only benefits 3.0 users.

people mention Movie Collector, but i have yet to see a collection link in anyone's profile here. can other's view your collection with a link?
Old 05-21-07, 07:10 PM

I believe Movie Collector is limited to generating an HTML report of your collection. You would have to go through the motions of uploading and hosting it somewhere. Afficianado (sp) or dvdspot might be more to your liking.

The merged databases will be of no use to 2.5 users. It was merely to get any outstanding profiles ported over to the 3.0 database.

Last edited by mdnitoil; 05-21-07 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-21-07, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
I've still got 2.4. So if I don't pay to upgrade to 3.0, I can't upgrade, and I can't download new releases (after a certain point)?
Old 05-21-07, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598
i don't think that merge will let me update contributions to 2.5, i think it only benefits 3.0 users.

people mention Movie Collector, but i have yet to see a collection link in anyone's profile here. can other's view your collection with a link?
Yeah, as mentioned Movie Collector is local-machine based for the database, but it will automatically generate HTML code set to various templates to upload your collection to your own website if desired. There is an import function from DVD Profiler as well and there is a free trial you can download from collectorz.com

Here is an older screenshot of my tweaked Movie Collector 4.11 I had posted somewhere before. Version 5.0 just came out but I haven't installed it yet.

I use this for the bulk of my movie cataloguing with DVDSpot and Aficionado for online listing.

Old 05-21-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
I recommend AMC - Ant Movie Collector. Check the link in my sig for my custom online catalog and a link to AMC's homepage.
Old 05-22-07, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by sracer
I recommend AMC - Ant Movie Collector. Check the link in my sig for my custom online catalog and a link to AMC's homepage.
it's not bad. maybe a little plain. can you customize how the list is viewed? (ie: by collection #)
Old 05-22-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598
it's not bad. maybe a little plain. can you customize how the list is viewed? (ie: by collection #)
Yes, it is completely and totally customizable. I have custom designs for my smartphone, website, and for printing a catalog for my coffee table.
Old 05-22-07, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer
Does that program fill in all the information for the movie, or do you have to enter that yourself?
Old 05-22-07, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
Does that program fill in all the information for the movie, or do you have to enter that yourself?
There are various scripts included to retrieve the information from your favorite online source. I use a script that grabs some stuff from IMDB and other info from Amazon.