Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why no Scream re-release?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-30-06, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand why so many movies get double-dip releases yet Scream is still only unavailable in anamorphic widescreen in R1. They could re-encode it to improve the video, make it anamorphic AND hopefully make it uncut finally and it will sell quite well I bet.

It's especially retarded as the inferior Scream 2 and 3 are anamorphic and yet the original film is not.

Last edited by Rubix; 12-30-06 at 03:17 AM.
Old 12-30-06, 03:17 AM

i'd buy it only if it was uncut and animorphic. doubt i'd watch it again otherwise.
Old 12-30-06, 05:02 AM

i had the japanese uncut dvd. other than that it's only been released uncut in scandanavia and on laserdisc. it would probably happen when a new craven film comes out.
Old 12-30-06, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kevkev
i had the japanese uncut dvd. other than that it's only been released uncut in scandanavia and on laserdisc. it would probably happen when a new craven film comes out.
I have the Korean DVD, it's the Director's Cut and I think it's also anamorphic.

Dirk

More infos here: http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=201
Old 12-30-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kevkev
There have been a few new Wes Craven films out in the last few years, and nothing done with Scream. I don't think they're waiting on a cross promotion.
Old 12-30-06, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Miramax needs to re-release From Dusk Till Dawn with an anamorphic transfer too.
Old 12-30-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was the 10 year anniversary and we got nothing. Makes no sense.
Old 12-30-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
Miramax needs to re-release From Dusk Till Dawn with an anamorphic transfer too.
Maybe they'll do one when Grindhouse comes out,

But yes, it's gay that Scream 1 is letterbox and the other two are both anamorphic.
Old 12-30-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would be pretty interested in a re-release...this series brings back memories!
Old 12-30-06, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by gotrice487
I would be pretty interested in a re-release...this series brings back memories!
These movies do bring back memories!!! While an uncut/anamorphic release would be nice, I don't see it happening anytime soon. I mean the current DVD is feature-filled (well maybe not filled, but still rather plentiful considering), but I'm almost positive since the 10th Anniversary came and went it will be an HD-DVD release and not for another couple years...
Old 12-30-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No idea why this has been overlooked for an anamorphic re-release-- maybe Craven is waiting till he can put out the unrated cut-- but would be more than happy to pick it up should it finally get one.

Originally Posted by critterdvd
...I'm almost positive since the 10th Anniversary came and went it will be an HD-DVD release and not for another couple years...
A hi-def release would be fine, but I hope SD-DVD isn't left out in the cold. Those who aren't going to have HD anytime soon would still appreciate a new release of this one and many others that are STILL awaiting remastering and/or 16:9 enhancing.

--THX
Old 12-31-06, 12:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
A hi-def release would be fine, but I hope SD-DVD isn't left out in the cold. Those who aren't going to have HD anytime soon would still appreciate a new release of this one and many others that are STILL awaiting remastering and/or 16:9 enhancing.

--THX
I would assume, if an anamorphic transfer of Scream is ever released, it'll most certainly will be an SD-DVD available. The HD-DVD may be released simultaneously with the SD-DVD....Whenever Dimension Films get their heads out of the sand.
Old 12-31-06, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs are a crime. I've been waiting almost 10 years now for some to get re-released properly, yet nothing.
Old 12-31-06, 01:01 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe they'll do it on it HDDVD?
Old 12-31-06, 03:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fok
Maybe they'll do it on it HDDVD?
We don't know if an anamorphic transfer will ever be released on SD-DVD, or HD-DVD at all.
Old 12-31-06, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If we get a Scream release on high-definition, it'll be on Blu-ray, not HD DVD. It's a Dimension film, who is owned by Disney.
Old 12-31-06, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
Don't worry; SD is never left in the cold. They're not going to do a new transfer of anything just for HD.
Old 12-31-06, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Don't worry; SD is never left in the cold. They're not going to do a new transfer of anything just for HD.
Agreed.

I also agree that this is a Blu release, not HD DVD. As a HD DVD supporter, it will be DVD only for me...