Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dane Cook's Tourgasm

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-06, 09:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dane Cook's Tourgasm

I didn't see a relevent thread, so I'm making one. No flames needed, just a simple question that needs answered. I'm a huge fan of Dane Cook's, and I'm debating weather or not to get Tourgasm. I saw about 3 or so episodes on HBO during it's run, but never really got a chance to sit down and really watch it. I'm trying to really stop my DVD purchases since I've got my HD-DVD player, so something that I'm not going to watch a lot doesn't really need to be purchased. I know Tourgasm was pretty much Dane and his crew on the road during his Vicious Circle tour, but is this DVD really needed since I already have Vicious Circle?

Anyone suggest I pick this up? Or should I save my $15?
Old 12-27-06, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't have it but everything I've read about it online makes it sound like a dud. The DVDTalk Review does a good job of detailing this.
Old 12-27-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would just rent it if you can. I'm a Dane Cook fan, but I didn't find Tourgasm very funny. The Dane stand-up parts were funny, but the problem I had with it was that the other 3 comedians were not funny at all. If Dane's stand-up parts were more than like 2 minutes of each episode it would've been alright. It kinda reminded me of Comedian. The Seinfeld parts were funny, but the Orny Adams parts were just painful. Dane's 3 guys were like Orny Adams, only not as cocky.
Old 12-27-06, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
Its not really supposed to be about the comedy, but more about them on a bus hanging out. Its worth a rent, but i wouldnt buy it if you dont REALLY want it.
Old 12-27-06, 11:49 PM

I am three episodes in and I am enjoying it very much. I am not much of a fan of Dane Cook either. I enjoy on the road type documentary stuff and this is good in my opinion. 3 discs in an awesome metal case. I say pick it up.
Old 12-28-06, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm a Dane Cook fan and thought the show was just mediocre. The stand up clips were the best part of the epsiodes. The rest of the show was watchable but not that good.
Old 12-28-06, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you like seeing Frat Dudes f around you'd dig it. Otherwise it's a definite skip.
Old 12-28-06, 12:19 PM

I watched it during its initial airing on HBO, and even though Best Buy offered an exclusive bonus DVD with the set (I'm a bonus disc whore), I still couldn't justify spending $16 on it. I know I would never watch it again. Jay Davis is a downright terrible comedian, and while I thought Dane and the other two guys were funny enough to make up for it, the actual comedy performances are such a minor part of the show that there's just no replay value for me. If this show had been a little more Last Comic Standing and a little less Road Rules, I might have shelled out for it.
Old 12-28-06, 02:09 PM

I agree with those who suggest you just rent it. I like Dane Cook and I even enjoyed the series. But I wouldn't want to own it. It's not something I'd want to watch over and over again. [Then again, I didn't much dig Vicious Circle, either.]

The other comedians aren't horrible (except for maybe Jay Davis), but if you watched the second season of Last Comic Standing, Gary Gulman's routine will be all too familiar to you.

The series has its moments, but it's not memorable enough for me to want to have as part of my collection.
Old 12-28-06, 02:47 PM

I'd pass.

Dane and his friends aren't really that interesting when they're not on stage, and a lot of it feels like they're forcing themselves to try to be funny.

Dane's stand-up bits were solid, but I'm not sure there is even 10 minutes worth of them.
Old 12-28-06, 03:53 PM
Banned

I'm thinking I want to pass on it, but the metal case sounds tempting.
Old 12-28-06, 04:44 PM

Shit looks like back to the store it goes, I was hoping for something funny. I was all excited too over the metal tin & Best Buy exclusive bonus dvd.
Old 12-28-06, 10:04 PM

Anyone listen to the commentaries? That was the major selling point for me.
Old 12-29-06, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
Did anyone get the bonus disc with this at Best Buy? How is it?
Old 12-29-06, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wow! this come in a tin? i didn tknow that...iam not in the US but i would order it online from bestbuy.com but i did order their Up In The Sky EXCLUSIVE TWICE!!! and i got the regular version....
Old 12-29-06, 03:57 PM

I took this back & got the Descent UR while they still had a hundred or so copies with the bonus disc. While I love Dane Cook's stand up, I really don't care much for whiny man-drama. Even a nice looking tin & bonus disc couldn't convince me it was a keeper after all the negative comments.
Old 12-29-06, 04:15 PM

I would also pass...