Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

WKRP In Cincinnati is finally coming to DVD!!!!!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-06, 02:53 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/20...-dvd-soon.html

I am not a fan of the show but I know some people here are waiting for this news so here it is!
Old 12-11-06, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
$5 says all the music will be gone..
Old 12-11-06, 03:08 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great news... wish there was more info. regarding possible release date & news about the music samples, though. Hate to be cynical but got my hopes up when Man From U.N.C.L.E. was announced only to be pulled at the last minute due to arguments over the rights. Still, any news is good news about WKRP...one of the funniest ensemble comedies ever (especially after they hit their stride early in the first season).
Old 12-11-06, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

good news! loved this show when i was a kid. hope the music remains intact.
Old 12-11-06, 08:00 AM

Fingers crossed.
Old 12-11-06, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This announcement screams let down.

Without an announcement i could continue to hope that the music would be intact. Doubt it is happening.
Old 12-11-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
$5 says all the music will be gone..
Not a bet I'd even remotely consider taking. It will undoubtedly be butchered.
Old 12-11-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Daddy!
Old 12-11-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wasn't there an announcement of some sort last year where they asked fans "would you buy this if we replaced the music" and the fans said hell no, to which they replied "ok, it's never coming out on DVD then."

Of course the average consumer has demonstrated their ignorance on these matters time and time again. Hardcore fans said no way, but the average dumbass that buys DVD's won't even pause to ask if the original music is included.
Old 12-11-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Of course the average consumer has demonstrated their ignorance on these matters time and time again. Hardcore fans said no way, but the average dumbass that buys DVD's won't even pause to ask if the original music is included.
This would be hard to slip by considering Johnny Fever (as far as I can recall) would often introduce the song just as he started playing them during scenes in the booth.
Old 12-11-06, 11:55 AM

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6708

Good News: According to tvshowsondvd, Fox is looking at April 2007 to release the first season.

Bad News: It will have some music replaced. However, Hugh Wilson, the show's creator has heard some of the music and thought that Fox did a good job.

Replaced music or not, I am one of the dumbasses that will be buying this. This is a show that I never thought would make it to dvd. It's not on tv anymore to tape it and it's not like I could tape the original versions of the show anyway. It sucks that music has to be replaced, but this is the only way to get the show on dvd. Glad to see that Fox at least consulted the show's creator on this and have tried to get music that fits the show.
Old 12-11-06, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Upper pylon 3

Replaced music or not, I am one of the dumbasses that will be buying this. This is a show that I never thought would make it to dvd. It's not on tv anymore to tape it and it's not like I could tape the original versions of the show anyway. It sucks that music has to be replaced, but this is the only way to get the show on dvd. Glad to see that Fox at least consulted the show's creator on this and have tried to get music that fits the show.

Same here. One of my favorite comedies of all-time and it is never on tv like my other favorites. That makes a DVD purchase a no-brainer for me. Honestly, I remember the plots, not the music so if music is changed, as long as it is consistent with the time period, I would probably rarely if ever notice.

WKRP is one of my top-3 releases I am waiting for along with Picket Fences (which is also coming out next year) and L.A. Law.
Old 12-11-06, 12:00 PM

Gotta be the original music or no sale - just like Tour Of Duty. Loved both shows, won't buy or watch butchered versions.

Weeeellll...if the replaced music is actual rock from the same period I can live with it. TOD replaced the 60's rock with elevator music.

Last edited by hilts; 12-11-06 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-11-06, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
There is not as much music in there as you would think. There are a few tunes that will cause royalty problems, but there really aren't many.

I have the entire series run already, but will be picking these up on day 1.
Old 12-11-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by The Cow
There is not as much music in there as you would think. There are a few tunes that will cause royalty problems, but there really aren't many.

That's how I remember it too, and if there was, I don't recall them playing a lot of hits (stuff that I would recognize) nor playing any song all that long.
Old 12-11-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Who cares about the music? I just want to see Jan Smithers again. Totally hot, even though Loni was the apparent focus.
Old 12-11-06, 12:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

No Journey or Styx ?

Who cares ... I'm there.
Old 12-11-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't think the Doctor would have ever played Journey or Styx.
Old 12-11-06, 01:03 PM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Maybe there is now hope for a release of The Wonder Years.
Old 12-11-06, 02:31 PM

A pretty comprehensive list of what to expect: http://members.allstream.net/~jacjud/wkrpmusic.html

The Tiny Dancer stuff just absolutely ruins the entire episode.

Oh, and +1 to Jan Smithers, I *never* understood why anyone liked the fake blonde over the drop dead gorgeous Bailey.
Old 12-11-06, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw
A pretty comprehensive list of what to expect: http://members.allstream.net/~jacjud/wkrpmusic.html
No (and I say that as the author of that page). Those changes were made by the collapsing MTM in the '90s and were used on Nick at Nite and on those crappy VHS releases in the late '90s.

I don't know which songs Fox will be changing this time around, but as I understand it, they will not be using the same substitutions as the Nick at Nite versions. Whatever they come up with, I will state with confidence that it can't be worse than those versions (which may have had the worst music substitutions in TV history).
Old 12-11-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Christ... when you people buy this altered shit, you only send a message that it's OK to fuck up the original release.

I'll stick with bootlegs of WKRP.
Old 12-11-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw

The Tiny Dancer stuff just absolutely ruins the entire episode.

Oh, and +1 to Jan Smithers, I *never* understood why anyone liked the fake blonde over the drop dead gorgeous Bailey.
I think I will pass on WKRP.

Old 12-11-06, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Christ... when you people buy this altered shit, you only send a message that it's OK to fuck up the original release.

I'll stick with bootlegs of WKRP.
You do know that the bootleg sets are also altered (for one thing, they're all missing two to three minutes of content), right?

Also, I repeat, don't look to that list (which I wrote) as a guide to what the music changes will be in the DVD. Those changes were made by a different company and as I understand it, the DVD producers aren't working off those versions.
Old 12-11-06, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jaime_Weinman
I don't know which songs Fox will be changing this time around, but as I understand it, they will not be using the same substitutions as the Nick at Nite versions. Whatever they come up with, I will state with confidence that it can't be worse than those versions (which may have had the worst music substitutions in TV history).
I wasn't trying to say those specific changes would be made, just that's the kind of thing that's been done in the past, and folks should expect much of the same.

Yeah, it can't get worse, but how much better can it get? It's not like they're going to go out and license the original stuff, they'll go pretty much the cheapest route they can.

Personally, I don't "get" the whole difference with the music rights anyway. How much more expensive can it be for dvd vs tv rights? If it's so much more, why are they asking for the sky? Why was it cheap to license a song for perputuity in re-runs, but expensive on dvd?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.