Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

WKRP In Cincinnati is finally coming to DVD!!!!!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

WKRP In Cincinnati is finally coming to DVD!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-07, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It's a business decision by FOX. Either replace the music, sell the DVDs for $30 a pop and make a profit, or keep the music, have to sell the DVDs for $150 a pop and not make a profit (since only die-hard fans are going to fork over that kind of coin).

In cases like this, however, I do wish studios would give consumers an option and release TWO versions - the cheap, edited one and the expensive non-edited one - but again, it's an issue of the studio not making a profit after they pay for all the music rights.

So blame the music industry...don't blame (or don't put all the blame, at least) FOX.
I've heard this argument before, but it doesn't explain how a small company like Shout! can release a show like Freaks and Geeks with the original music and turn a profit.

I bet if Shout! or a similar company was given the rights to produce a WKRP DVD set, they'd do a much better job that what Fox is releasing.
Old 04-04-07, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I've heard this argument before, but it doesn't explain how a small company like Shout! can release a show like Freaks and Geeks with the original music and turn a profit.

I bet if Shout! or a similar company was given the rights to produce a WKRP DVD set, they'd do a much better job that what Fox is releasing.
How do you know that Shout Factory made a profit on Freaks & Geeks? It was on one season show so no subsequent releases would have been made anyway. It may not have sold enough to cover the costs of those music rights. Unless this information has been made public, which it could well have been, we really don't know.
Old 04-04-07, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Upper pylon 3
How do you know that Shout Factory made a profit on Freaks & Geeks? It was on one season show so no subsequent releases would have been made anyway. It may not have sold enough to cover the costs of those music rights. Unless this information has been made public, which it could well have been, we really don't know.
OK, if they didn't and used the show as a loss leader and offset the costs with other profitable releases, then how much more so could Fox do that with WKRP?

I said something similar earlier, but if a classic movie was handled with such disregard imagine the out cry. Do a quick search for "Star Wars" to see an example.
Old 04-04-07, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I've heard this argument before, but it doesn't explain how a small company like Shout! can release a show like Freaks and Geeks with the original music
I agree, the "but it would cost $150!" argument just doesn't wash.

And obviously, this half assed set is going to cost them huge numbers of sales. How many of us are skipping it now? I am. And I'm far from alone on this.

Some strategic licensing decisions here could have had huge benefits. Pick up the big ones, the ones the fans are most upset about (hello Dogs), and they could have still had a winner, instead of the massive butcher job.
Old 04-05-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember hearing similar reasons for why the SCTV sets would always cost so much more than a normal TV show release, due to the rights to the songs by the musical guests on the show, so I resigned myself to it and bought the first volume for around $53. Imagine my disappointment when later on, I could find the sets for $20 or much less (not even including the occasional BlockBusterVideo mispricing serendipity).
Old 04-05-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw
I agree, the "but it would cost $150!" argument just doesn't wash.

And obviously, this half assed set is going to cost them huge numbers of sales. How many of us are skipping it now? I am. And I'm far from alone on this.
Yes, it will cost them...but not nearly as much as if they released a $150 set and forked over a ton of money for the music rights. Again, it's a business decision: What makes more money? Edited version or original version. Even if ALL the die-hard fans ignored the set, there will still be enough sales from the casual DVD viewer (who doesn't know any better) to turn a nice profit.
Old 04-05-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Lecithin
I remember hearing similar reasons for why the SCTV sets would always cost so much more than a normal TV show release, due to the rights to the songs by the musical guests on the show, so I resigned myself to it and bought the first volume for around $53. Imagine my disappointment when later on, I could find the sets for $20 or much less (not even including the occasional BlockBusterVideo mispricing serendipity).
That's because no one was buying them at $53 and the retailers couldn't send them back...so they had to sell them at a loss (or at wholesale) to get them off the shelves.
Old 04-05-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Upper pylon 3
A good sign that Freaks & Geeks turned a profit was the fact that Shout Factory released Undeclared, which is essentially a Freaks & Greeks follow up. They also did it with pretty much the same respect to original music, replacing something like two songs.
Old 04-05-07, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
That's because no one was buying them at $53 and the retailers couldn't send them back...so they had to sell them at a loss (or at wholesale) to get them off the shelves.

They should have stopped at the first volume then, and not made 3 more.

Last edited by Lecithin; 04-10-07 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-10-07, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
No major purpose for this bump...just thought I'd add something everyone seemed to be talking about:

<embed width="425" height="350" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fcbkCH__jxk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>
Old 04-10-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Good times.... good times....
Old 04-10-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That was good!!!!

Old 04-10-07, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now a brave soul has to post the edited scene from the current DVD release for us to see how badly it's f'ed up!
Old 04-17-07, 12:45 PM

Johnny's final line in that scene is one of my personal favorites, and has served me well through countless jobs. I'm assuming it will be cut, which is more disturbing to me than the loss of "Dogs".
Old 04-28-07, 12:10 AM
Suspended

There's a weird dialogue change in the episode where everyone thinks Les is gay. While he's out on the ledge, Herb runs to the window and shouts "It's okay if you're a gay!"

In the original version his line is "It's okay if you're a homo!"
Old 04-29-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Has anyone got or does anyone know how this is or whether it is the syndicated versions?
http://www.allmyfavoriteshows.com/mo...incinnati.html
Old 04-29-07, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

or this
http://www.sell.com/22J354
Old 04-29-07, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Logic 7
Has anyone got or does anyone know how this is or whether it is the syndicated versions?
http://www.allmyfavoriteshows.com/mo...incinnati.html

they appear to be bootlegs.
Old 04-30-07, 01:32 PM
Suspended

I should know about this one soon.
Old 04-30-07, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
There's a weird dialogue change in the episode where everyone thinks Les is gay. While he's out on the ledge, Herb runs to the window and shouts "It's okay if you're a gay!"

In the original version his line is "It's okay if you're a homo!"
Actually, I have a copy of the original CBS broadcast and in it, Herb says "It's okay if you're a gay."

What happened, I think, was that the word "homo" was dubbed over at the last minute, but some syndication versions reverted to the original word.

So this may be the only change that can't be blamed on Fox...
Old 05-03-07, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
I should know about this one soon.
Let me know please

Last edited by Logic 7; 05-03-07 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-03-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the sort of thing that drives people to buy/download bootlegs who might not otherwise do such as that...
Old 05-03-07, 01:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
This is the sort of thing that drives people to buy/download bootlegs who might not otherwise do such as that...
Yep.
Old 05-03-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope someone will upload some clips of the DVD release sometime soon, just so I can see with my own eyes how the changes play out.
Old 05-03-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin

I hope someone will upload some clips of the DVD release sometime soon, just so I can see with my own eyes how the changes play out.
It seems everybody is waiting for somebody else to do that!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.