Reload this Page >

Criterion wants Before Sunrise/ Before Sunset, Maybe Suburbia

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-15-06, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From an AICN interview with Richard Linklater:

C: I've have really enjoyed your two Criterion disks, SLACKER and DAZED AND CONFUSED. Are you planning on doing any more of those?

RL: I hope so. I think they’re trying to get the BEFORE SUNRISE and BEFORE SUNSET together, because we’ve done nothing special for either of those, so I’d love to do that. I’m trying to get them to…you know, SUBURBIA’s not even on DVD? It’s kind of getting lost.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30709
Old 11-15-06, 01:29 PM
Banned

You know, that unfortunately sounds like wishful thinking on Linklater's part.

The sad FACT is that Warner Bros. does not license their films out to other studios. Look at the entire Criterion library, there isn't a single Warner-controlled title in the entire collection.

It's possible that Warner Independent (who distributes "Before Sunset") could be exempt from Warner's bigger "no licensing" policy like Warner subsidiary New Line (they licensed "Short Cuts" to Criterion) but that still leaves "Before Sunset" and "Suburbia" which are 100% Warner titles.

At least it's nice to know that Linklater is aware that the absence of "Suburbia" on DVD is getting annoying and that "Sunrise" and "Sunset" deserve better DVD's. When he finds out that Criterion isn't an option maybe he'll at least get Warner Bros. to spring for some Criterion-quality DVD editions.
Old 11-15-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree, a little bit of wishful thinking for Criterion to acquire both Before Sunrise and Before Sunset since they more than likely are pure Warner titles, but don't give Warner any NEW ideas for a new double-feature disc! Which would take all hope away.......

I love both those films and would gladly buy a Criterion release of them. However, the possibility is remote and the chance is slim.
Old 11-15-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the bang up job Warner has done with their special editions, I'll take a 26.99 msrp fully loaded disc over 39.99 msrp criterion disc any day. Warner just needs to get with Linklater just needs to get with the brass at Warner and let them know he is available to them to do the extras, and oversee any of the remastering process.

Don't get me wrong, I love criterion, and believe in everything they do. I don't think the price is too high, but at the same time Warner Brothers has been no slouch in the dvd department.

They also love doing director's box sets...
Old 11-15-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree. If Warner can do it right, I'd just as soon want them to do it, especially considering that they might also release them in HD.
Old 11-15-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure if Linklater approaches WB and says he'd like something as nice as what Criterion did with Dazed and Slacker, they'd be up for it - especially since Sunrise is still in a snapper. They could even cross-market it when Linkletter's Fast Food Nation hits dvd.
Old 11-15-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Before Sunrise/ Before Sunset don't need a SEs IMO but Suburbia should be released on DVD.
Old 11-15-06, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by animatedude
Before Sunrise/ Before Sunset don't need a SEs IMO
Says who? I'd love to see them get SEs, if through CC or WB. It could be a really cool set if done right.

but Suburbia should be released on DVD.
I didn't love it but agreed that it should at least be on DVD. What is the hold up?
Old 11-15-06, 05:29 PM

If at all, criterion should release these under its new Eclipse line...
Old 11-15-06, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought Before Sunset was a very short movie to begin with, so I would welcome a director's cut if it was possible and would enhance the movie somewhat...and a nicely done box containing both movies would be welcome. I would also like to retire the Before Sunrise snappercase.
Old 11-15-06, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by J.Creutzfeldt
If at all, criterion should release these under its new Eclipse line...

As it has already been noted, it is unlikely Criterion will get the rights these, but if they do, they would not be released under the Eclipse imprint. That is not the purpose of that line as indicated by a Criterion producer in the most recent issue of Cahiers du Cinema. The line is solely for releases that will have few, if any, supplements. It is clear Linklater would want the releases to receive the royal Criterion treatment.

Last edited by starecase; 11-15-06 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-16-06, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give me some of that!

Old 11-16-06, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would put a vote in to have Before Sunrise/Sunset in whatever edition R.L. thinks is best. I personally would love to see whatever extras are floating out there, however, I can see the pointedness in not putting any either. It's painful to admit seeing as they are my favorite movies ever but I'd rather have whatever edition the director intended than handing over that jurisdiction to anyone but him.
I agree that Slacker should be on Dvd. I have tried many times to have a chance to see this film but often times can't even find it used on Ebay! I have seen and bought all of his films and would graciously welcome a new dvd to add to the shine of Richard Linklater world!
Stacey
Old 11-21-06, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I agree that Slacker should be on Dvd. I have tried many times to have a chance to see this film but often times can't even find it used on Ebay! I have seen and bought all of his films and would graciously welcome a new dvd to add to the shine of Richard Linklater world!
Stacey
Either there's a typo in your post, or you've overlooked this.

-JP
Old 11-22-06, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Before Sunrise/ Before Sunset don't need a SEs IMO but Suburbia should be released on DVD.

I am going to strongly disagree!! And I respect your opinion!!
Out of all his films these two I will instantaneously pay 39.99$ for if Criterion pulls up some white/black magic and releases them!!

I don't mind double WB sets either!
Old 11-22-06, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

don't get me wrong man,Before Sunrise/ Before Sunset are one of my ALL time favorites.i just don't think any special features will be useful for these 2 films.simply, these 2 films speak for themselves.but i don't mind if WB or criterions did SEs for them.i'll buy it in a heart beat!

btw, i own the R2UK boxset which is included in the 3 for 15 pounds offer right now.
Old 11-22-06, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Would buy Suburbia on release.
Old 11-22-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Either there's a typo in your post, or you've overlooked this.

-JP
Asked my wife, she meant to say Suburbia. Oops!
Old 03-17-17, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts
Re: Criterion wants Before Sunrise/ Before Sunset, Maybe Suburbia

It's only been 11 years since this thread started and I wanted to say that The Before Trilogy on BD from CC is one of the best BD's of 2017.

The first 2 films are beyond romantic and cute, but then the 3rd one is a kick to the balls.
Old 03-18-17, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
Re: Criterion wants Before Sunrise/ Before Sunset, Maybe Suburbia

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
I am going to strongly disagree!! And I respect your opinion!!
Out of all his films these two I will instantaneously pay 39.99$ for if Criterion pulls up some white/black magic and releases them!!

I don't mind double WB sets either!
I hope Pro-Basoonist was able to jump on that Amazon pricing error, he called it 11 years ago!