Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Passion of the Christ: Definitive Edition - Due 2/6/07

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-06, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lara Means
Any chance of having James Caviezel doing commentary in-character as Jesus?

J.C. "Here's where the put me up on the cross...bunch of a$$holes, those guys!"
Old 11-03-06, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For anyone who's late getting here, and wants to join in on the action but aren't sure of the right thing to say, I've prepared a list of responses. Just cut-and-paste the one you want to use.

"LOL sequel promotion, am I right?"

"LOL alternate endings, am I right?"

"LOL Jesus Chainsaw Massacre, am I right?"

"LOL Mel Gibson's a racist, am I right?"
Old 11-04-06, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
It's about Gibson being, despite his claims to the contrary, a racist ass.
How is hating jews 'racist'? When did a religion become a 'race'?

Anyone can convert to judaism, and anyone can convert to christianity,catholicism,islam etc etc.

None of those religions are 'races'. They are belief systems which are man made.

So say he hates the jewish religion,since saying he hates the jewish 'race' doesn't make much sense when you think about it.

If someone said they hated the 'christian race'. How would you react too that? Doesn't make much sense right?

I wonder if this release will contain both versions of the film or not? Or will Mel try to pretend the 'recut' never happened?
Old 11-04-06, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Making money off Jesus' death. Real classy guy he is.
Old 11-04-06, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're painting the situation rather lightly. This isn't about disagreeing with someone's political party of choice, or their stance on a certain issue. It's about Gibson being, despite his claims to the contrary, a racist ass.
I hope you don't have tennis shoes, because you're supporting slave labor. Or wear leather, cause you're supporting animal slaughter and inhumane conditions. Or buy gasoline, cause you're supporting corrupt corporations. But thank God you're not supporting that racist.
Old 11-04-06, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I buy 'No Sweat' shoes...no slave labor..I don't wear leather, and I don't even have a license and choose to ride a bike instead...sooooo fuck Mel Gibson's racist ass...I'm allowed to say that, right??
Old 11-04-06, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
How is hating jews 'racist'? When did a religion become a 'race'?
If you really care and aren't just being sarcastic for the shear fun of mouthing off, read up a bit - there are many people out there who believe in a Jewish "race". Oddly, it has been my experience that it the jew-haters out there who are more likely to believe this. The term anti-semitism doesn't typically describe people who hate "converted" jews. They hate the Jewish race. For instance, try Googling "Nuremberg Anti-Jewish Race Laws".

Anyway, what's the point of your post anyway? Some people are really upset by Mel's alleged anti-semitism - do you really have to wade into such a hotly emotional topic and correct people on their word usage? Don't you see how comments like yours really only serve to trivialize the topic being discussed?
Old 11-04-06, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Love the movie the way it is, no double dip for me.

I never double dip on DVDs, why give away my money?
Old 11-04-06, 06:57 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Peep
As much as I dislike Mel's stance on this "certain issue", I am tired of seeing it dragged out every time one of his movies gets discussed. Can't we just agree that it's up to the individual to decide whether or not they want to support racist ass-hats and leave it at that?
Why are you quoting me for this retort; I wasn't making a Mel Gibson judgment either way, I was just pointing out that MovieExchange's words "This isn't about disagreeing with someone's...stance on a certain issue" and "It's about Gibson being, despite his claims to the contrary, a racist ass." really equate to the same thing.
Old 11-04-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry, I didn't mean to single you out. I was just trying to stop the conversation about his personal beliefs and get the subject back to the movie. I just was quoting the last person who had commented about Gibson himself.
Old 11-04-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Hating someone for their own hatred... way to handle it guys. That'll really solve problems. I hope the mods will deal with the off-topic posts.

On topic I'll probably skip this one, unless the extras are exceptionally good. Otherwise I'll hold out (as I am with everything at the moment) for an eventual HD release (either format).

Last edited by Artman; 11-04-06 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-04-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Outstanding film, I am most certainly going to look up for the SE. I truly hope that all of the mentioned before cut scenes are added in the "extrra features" section.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 11-04-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I don't recall any releases after the initial one.
Well, discounting the idea that widescreen and pan-and-scan releases could be seen as two different releases, there was a gift set sold in Christian stores. Only the pan-and-scan version was available in the gift set.
Old 11-04-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
This was a pretty decent splatter-gore flick, but I wish they had cut out all that God and religion stuff. Still, for the horror fans I'm sure this is a welcome double-dip.
Old 11-04-06, 09:56 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
Love the movie the way it is, no double dip for me.

I never double dip on DVDs, why give away my money?
... because this time it's for Jesus, duh!!
Old 11-04-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're all going to hell if you don't upgrade.
Old 11-04-06, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Hmm...should I double dip? WWJD? Double dip no doubt. Nah, he'd wait for HD.
Old 11-04-06, 11:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
after 'Braveheart's' dull monotonous commentary track I don't expect Mel's commentary for 'Passion of the Christ' to be any different.
Old 11-05-06, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Peep
Anyway, what's the point of your post anyway? Some people are really upset by Mel's alleged anti-semitism - do you really have to wade into such a hotly emotional topic and correct people on their word usage? Don't you see how comments like yours really only serve to trivialize the topic being discussed?

Last time I looked at the "topic" it was:

The Passion of the Christ: Definitive Edition - Due 2/6/07

Not:

Mel's alleged anti-semitism

So what right do you have to question his off-topic post with your off-topic post? Almost everyone posting on this topic is

Now, to be on-topic...what supposedly did they cut out of the original release and was it things that were in theaters and not on DVD or things that were cut before theatrical release?
Old 11-05-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i don't know if i will get this. i haven't watched it since the theatrical release i believe even though i have the dvd.
Old 11-05-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're painting the situation rather lightly. This isn't about disagreeing with someone's political party of choice, or their stance on a certain issue. It's about Gibson being, despite his claims to the contrary, a racist ass.
1. I don't think I'm painting the situation lightly at all. I think some people may be painting it far too darkly.
2. Gibson being a "racist ass" *is* his stance on a certain issue.

I stand by what I said -- a lot of people in film have done bad things, believe things that I disagree with, or are complete assholes. That doesn't mean that I avoid good films that are made by (or star) them. Leni Riefenstahl, D.W. Griffith, Victor Salva, Roman Polanski are not exactly people that I'd like to spend time with. But they've made some good films.

I'm able to enjoy Mad Max even if I wouldn't enjoy having dinner w/Mel.
Old 11-05-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by dablueguy

Now, to be on-topic...what supposedly did they cut out of the original release and was it things that were in theaters and not on DVD or things that were cut before theatrical release?

There is a rather long scene that was left out which offers a vew verbal statements the Jewish community disliked. As far as I know it was edited after the initial protests and after what was then the "final cut". There is also a second scene also much longer that follows Jesus as he carries the cross up the hill. I do not know what else is being shown but it does exsist. That is all that I am aware of.

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-05-06 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-05-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
There is a rather long scene that was left out which offers a vew verbal statements the Jewish community disliked. As far as I know it was edited after the initial protests and after what was then the "final cut". There is also a second scene also much longer that follows Jesus as he carries the cross up the hill. I do not know what else is being shown but it does exsist. That is all that I am aware of.

Ciao,
Pro-B

Thanks! If that's on there I'll definitely buy the re-release and pass along the unopened as a "Christmas" gift
Old 11-05-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Thanks! If that's on there I'll definitely buy the re-release and pass along the unopened as a "Christmas" gift
You haven't opened the first release? When did you buy it?
Old 11-05-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So what right do you have to question his off-topic post with your off-topic post? Almost everyone posting on this topic is
Have you been following this topic? If so, maybe you missed my earlier post asking people to bring it back on-topic.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.